1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does promo load like?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hi I was wondering what powder promo loads like, if any. I mean like how green dot loads like pb or something like that. I know that it isn't very consistent batch to batch but doesn't bother me too much since I measure all my powders before I load. I was also wondering if promo is good for one ounce loads near 1200 fps or higher. Thanks in advance to all who reply. Sincerely, osker reynolds

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It is said that Promo loads just like Red Dot. In fact, when having no specific data for Promo it is suggested to use Red Dot data. I have no personal experience but you'll get this same answer many times on here.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a good powder and it works rather well for 1 oz as well as many 1 1/8 oz loads. It may vary in density a little from lot to lot, but all you need to do is double check your powder drops when opening a jug from a new lot. Fiocchi primers sometimes have issues with it in colder weather. Some people have no issues with them, but I have not had good results in many Promo/Fiocchi loads. There is a lot of new loading data on the Alliant site. It is pretty much the same as Red Dot data with identical charge weights, velocities, and pressures. I buy at least two cases or more at the time, from the same lot. That allows me to have some consistency for a little while.

If you like Green Dot for the heavier loads, Red Dot or Promo should do well for the lighter stuff.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

18 grains of Promo and 18 grains of Red Dot will produce an identical loads.

Pat Ireland

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

To make it short, It loads magnificent, does the job very well, just have a good scale and check your droppings from container to container. 18 to 19 grains in a top gun hull, windjammer wad, I use Rio primers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thanks everyone for your replys. I am using cheddite primers, so the load data is close to winchesters

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hey Doc, "Check your droppings?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.