1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does +P stand for in handgun ammo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have search the net and cannot find the definition of the +P or P+P in handgun ammo. I have a Springfield XD-9mm sub compact and have a 16 round clip loaded with Gold Dot 124 grain GDHP #23618. I understand they make a short barrel 124grain+P GDHP-SB #23611 and have reviewed the ballistic difference from their site. I still don't know what the +P stands for. Can anyone please tell me what it stands for, and if it makes any difference having the 124grain GDHP #23618, or the 124grain+P GDHP-SB #23611 for my short barrel. I pray to god I may never have to use them, but when the feces hits the osculating device, I want the best defense to stop the threat. I know a larger caliber gun would make a difference, but this firearm fits my hand like a glove, and I shoot it very well. The range I shoot at does not have the +P shells #23611, and I was told that it would not make any difference with a 16 round clip anyway.

Thanks for your help... Jerbear

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Higher pressure round.

More wear and tear on your gun if you use a lot of them.

For example, there are +P 38 spl and some lightweight guns arent designed for them. I cant comment on yours

regards

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I found this, I got a chuckle out of the site. Just not used to seeing Rabbi and gun used in the same article.

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Don't use them in a smaller frame gun. A Smith and Wesson K frame will take them but the chief's special is too light. A Plus P is the closest thing you can get to a magnum.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

+P = plus power. HMB

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The article on weapons and self defense is a good read. I will be checking it out somemore. Different perspective. I love google.

7. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Thanks Bruce EM, That must be why the CPL instructor said that with the mag capacity I have, it would not make any difference with the other rounds because of my shot placement. My gun likes them but at $25.00 a box for 20 rounds, I use ball ammo for classes and practice. The next class is this Tuesday night. I need 150 rounds and usually just get their reloads at $20.00 a 100 rounds. 155grain FMJ.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/September%2008/?action=view&current=TaticicalTuesdays.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jerbear
    +P is an SAMMI standard meaning a higher allowable max pressure load. In 38 special for instance and as an example ONLY a 158 grain bullet at standard pressure levels would be at ~850fps and 9000 psi. The +P load would be at ~975fps and 10200 psi. +P+ means that the max pressure in the load could exceed the SAMMI spec for even +P OR It could be a special purpose round made for military or LE use and the +P+ was used to keep it off the market. For a long time some of our local deputies were issued 38 special and 9MM +P+ and the boxes were marked for Law Enforcement Use only.

The Gold Dot HP is an outstanding bullet and you would be well served by either round and your XD-9 would probably take a lot of +P rounds before having any problems but for your own peace of mind always practice with what you will carry until you are confident that your gun functions 100% with that load. After all the middle of a gun fight is not the place to have an "AW SHIT!!!"

--- Chip King ---

9. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

Technically speaking the +P actually stands for "excess pressure". In other words, the load generates higher pressures than the SAAMI specs for that particular round.

The benefit of the higher pressure is more velocity and energy. The downside is more wear and more recoil.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Chip, you are right, I have run 100 rounds through it without as much as a hiccup. Now with the other classes, it has gotten REAL expensive. The range has a company that reloads their brass and my XD has not had a problem with them at all either.

Jerbear

11. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

plus pressure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what does p on handgun stand for

what does p stand for on ammo

what does the p in p trap stand for