1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does Gun fit mean?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ansvel, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ansvel

ansvel Member

On my MX-8 I can see "8" but my neck is long and very often I feel a great tension close to my head. Do you have any idea if I have a normal gun or not?

2. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

The best way I have found is,close your eyes,mount the gun,open eyes. If your looking straight down the barrel your close. If your over the comb,looking at your thumb,etc,you need to be "fitted". It has served me well in the past. Good luck in your search. Ray p/s there is no "normal" in trapshooting,just look at the gun racks,one size does not fit all!!!

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Close your eyes, then mount your gun until you think it feels right, IN FRONT OF A MIRROR. Open your eyes. Look down the barrel. What do you see? If your not seeing a figure 8 or the beads stacked, Your gun does not fit, and never will. Have it fitted by someone that knows what their doing (few do) or buy a PFS (my choice).

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

OK Rollin, you're on.

Bob Falfa

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'm in the opinion that GUN FIT is when your gun fits comfortability and shoots where you LOOK regardless of how you see the beads.

6. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I do not agree with the stacked beads set up...many of us shoot off the end of the barrel and set the gun up to see a lot of rib between beads......

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It means that you will not be afraid of the gun beating you up, and you have absolutely no excuse to miss a bird again. If you do, IT IS YOU that is the reason. LOL.

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Thank you, Bob.

However, "Stock Fitting Secrets," is out of print and has been replaced by "Stock Fitter's Bible". Bible is similar in concept to Secrets but it is more detailed and has more additonal shooting tips that do not directly relate to shooting form and stock fitting. It is available on Amazon for about $25.00 including shipping as I recall.

ansvel,

Gun fit means that the stock dimensions of a gun "fit" the size and shape of the shooter. Fit means that the stock dimensions allow the shooter to use a good shooting form made up of the stance (position of the feet), gun mount, weight distribution and pody posture, primarily that of the head and neck.

You have a normal (and excellent) gun but not a longer than normal neck (longer than the designer of the stock had in mind when he designed it).

Consider doing one or both of two things: Mount your gun higher on your shoulder - with about an inch ofhte recoil pad extending above your collarbone. It will help you shoot with a more normal and erect head and neck posture.

If you are still having to lean your neck forward and tilt your head back to put your cheek on the comb, you will need to do something to lower the whole recoil pad - put it farther below the level of the rib.

The common way of doing this is with a unit called a "pad" or "stock" adjuster. These units mount between the recoil pad and the stock and allow the recoil pad to be lowered, moved to the right. The better ones also allow the pad to be rotated to put the pointed "toe" of the pad in your armpit when the pitch on the stock is wrong for the shooter. (Pitch is the angle formed by the recoil pad and the rib, close to 90 degrees.)

The reason I recommend that you first try raising your gun mount is because as the recoil pad is lowered, barrel-rise during recoil increases slightly. Raising your gun mount as described will slightly reduce barrel rise (long explanation as to why) and will significantly offset the additional barrel rise caused by lowering the recoil pad .

If you lower the recoil pad with an adjuster (the Nelson Pad Adjuster is said to be the best but Jones and 100-Straight also make good adjusters), make sure the pitch on your stock is correct for your chest configuration and the posture used when you shoot.

The pitch is correct FOR YOU when the whole pad (below your collarbone), "top" to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder as the gun is being mounted (with the barrel raised to normal shooting height).

Rollin

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Good gun fit means the gun is comfortable to shoot and when you pull the trigger the target breaks. HMB

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

A great response by Rollin ......Read it twice....

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

See the Country Gentelman Gunfit page shown above. Look in the lower right hand corner for some rules that change every second or so. They don't tell you the answers, but they know how to fix problems. Consider getting help. If you are in Ohio, go see Dennis DeVault.

If your neck is long, it's you that's not normal, forget about the gun being normal. It won't be. I've got the same long neck and have a very low pad that is twisted quite a bit in order to get that 'just right' feel. To get there I purchased a DeVault pad adjuster and put it on a junk stock for my particular gun. Get confortable with making changes to see how it feels. Shoot it some, tweak past where it feels good and come back.

Here's one of my projects. This 3200 fit like a glove. Never shot it that well because of eye problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the gun I shoot today. Eye problems are fixed. You certainly don't have to go to such an extreme, but get used to the idea of tweaking. Heh

[​IMG]

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think you need an adjustable 6 way recoil pad installed so you can raise the stock up and keep the recoil pad on your shoulder where it is supposed to be.

Or a new Wenig Stock with a longer recoil pad drop, not longer LOP but a Harlan Campbell style of stock, Kolar calls them a Twisted Sister Stock. Or you could have your stock modified by adding a piece of wood where they would split the stock and add a piece to give you more drop at M/C.

You must have a proper fitted stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joe,

Odd solution but it makes a lot of sense. The heel of the stock is quite near the bore axis, which reduces barrel rise.

When you put your cheek on the "comb," are you able to shoot with a natural, erect head and neck posture?

How does Dennis' pad adjuster differ from the ones I named?

Rollin

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That's some pretty nice wood, for a pattern stock there Joe! I little like a glove grip pattern. Looks comfortable.

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Rollin,

"Odd solution but it makes a lot of sense. The heel of the stock is quite near the bore axis, which reduces barrel rise."

Exactly. The old Ljutic space gun and Al's Selka served the same purpose. My solution is a lot cheaper at about $1200. Al has even put a comb riser on some of his to get the barrel line lower still.

The other key point that most people don't even notice is the barrel is down and out of the way. High ribs attempt this, but in this case, there's nothing to block your view all the way down to the top of the trap house. People who shoot it say I'm cheating when all I'm doing is giving my on gun eye the chance to see the target from the start and stick with it all the way to the break. If you've ever had cross-firing problems like I have, you'll appreciate this.

Ljutic space gun:

[​IMG]

Al Ljutic's Selka model:

[​IMG]

"When you put your cheek on the "comb," are you able to shoot with a natural, erect head and neck posture?" Yep, but I consider myself lucky because there ain't no adjusting that comb. I've seen slap-ons, but they're ugly (said with tongue in cheek).

"How does Dennis' pad adjuster differ from the ones I named?" Dennis' has more adjustment than any I've found.

StlFlyn - It was a nicely figured stock, but there was something seriously wrong with it. I forget what it was though. This was the best fitting stock I've ever poured out of a bondo can.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Proper gun fit means; regardless of the stocks configuration on your gun, if you can make the proverbial "figger 8", the gun fits you perfectly. How many times have you heard that advice at clubs all across the country since you began shooting? (Myth #1)

Why is that so accepted? New guns with standard stock dimensions that allow up or down eye movement to make that false assumption verified by the mid-beads alignment with the front bead. How would one determine a proper fit without a mid-bead? Just as Joe did with his dot, trial and error till the birds broke with authority.

Hap

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Why would a person need to worry about barrel rise in a single barrel?

Search tags for this page
bondo gun stock

stock fitting secrets