1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does Frank Rivley sound like?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Firewater, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firewater

Firewater Member

After 2 years of trying to get an appointment with Frank, I finally saw him at last years Southern Grand at the Silver Dollar. After a very short consultation, I purchased a set of Ranger frames and 3 sets of Rx lenses. I gave him the prescription from my local eye doctor, which was very accurate. He mailed my lenses to me. I was having trouble adjusting to the new lenses so I took my new glasses to my eye doctor for him to examine. After he examined the lenses, he had me mount my gun 8-10 times to determine where my eyes were as I looked over the barrel. My doctor determined that my lenses were cut on a 50 PD instead of a 64 PD as the prescription called for. The power of the lenses was at the very top , almost touching the frame. I realize that the power does not need to be in the very center of lenses and has to be adjusted up and over to right slightly. These were too narrow and were causing my eyes to try to look at each other. I called Frank, no answer, no return call.I mailed the glasses back to Frank on April 22,2011 . I asked Frank to please correct or send my money back. Almost a year later and I have had no response from Frank .I have probably called him 40 or 50 times, no answer and no call back. If you are thinking about new shooting glasses from Frank, please call me, Mike at 850-272-5164.

2. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I believe Frank is down at Silver Dollar or at least will be for the Southern Grand. I know him personally and your situation sounds unlike Frank and the way he treats his customers. I talked with him at the Dixie and he did mention that his life is quite busy with a few issues. I will PM you his cell phone number.

blade819

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your first mistake was in not getting the prescription from Frank! He is the very best at prescribing Rx for shooters!

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sounds like the glasses that Steve Martin invented in the movie "the jerk" made everybody cross eyed.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Years ago I thought I would give a local guy the chance to make my Decot lenses and he gave me that blank stare when I told him my PD was 64 mm but I wanted the optical centers shifted 3 mm to the left. On his first attempt the centers turned out to be 58 mm and the 2nd attempt they turned out to be 72 mm. I gave up after that; it must be Rocket Science to shift both centers to the left the same amount although Decot Labs never had any trouble doing exactly that.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't personally know the man so I will not comment on his character. I will say my shooting buddy had a very similar experience to the OP at the Grand (2) years ago. After much legwork and many many phone calls, he finally was able to get his money back. My buddy couldn't walk from station to station without stumbling. He said the glasses made him feel sick to his stomach. I will say that for every horror story I have heard about him, I have heard two or three success stories. I guess you can't please everyone but lack of communication in this day and age is a sad thing.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Your PD is very, very important, and your eye doctor needs to test your eyes for stigmatism, ocular oclusions, and if you are a right handed shooter the centers are ground a little higher, and to the left of center where your eye is over the rib.

I am a firm believer in taking OCCUVITE or the Meijer Private label with the same ingredients, almost half the price of name brand OCCUVITE.

I had the beginning of an CATARAC and in less than a month of taking OCCUVITE
    opthamologist said the cataract is gone and no operation was necessary, My eyes are corrected to 20/10 in my shooting lenses.

I did have some bad lenses once that were foreign made, and when you look at an object in the distance and turn your head right and left the image had a wave that rolled the image, immeaditly exchanged and re-ordered the lenses.

My first pair o0f prescription shooting glasses were done by a shooting eye doctor I met at Camp TROY Gunclub during the Grand Preliminary days during the night shoot 50 bird program. He worked at the Union Health Center on Keowee St
    in Dayton Ohio and they were Photo Gray Glasses like the pilots wore.

Now these were heavy Glass Lenses as I am Near Sighted and were thicker than somone Far Sighted. I watched them being made after he took my Exam each and every step, Finally finished the grinding and contouring them to frames.

I got them and went to the shoot that night and BROKE 50 Straight w/them and many more in the future.

When you get a new pair of lenses look at a Light Pole off in the distance
    stare at it and move your had from far right to far left that pole should not roll or deviate in appearence as in distortion. If you have a pair of lenses that do this they are defective and of poor quality.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. geeber

geeber Member

I went to see Frank at the Silver Dollar back in January because I figured since he is a trapshooter he would know what I need more than a local optometrist would. He took his time, explaining every step of the exam. I got my new bifocal lenses and couldn't be happier. I feel bad for you Firewater. That doesn't sound like the same person I dealt with. I hope it works out for you.

Gary B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.