1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What does floating the target mean exactly?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dotis, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotis

dotis TS Member

What exactly does it mean when the phrase "float the target" is used?

2. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

Ithink it means keeping the target on top of the front bead-not he best way to shoot trap though. kind of hard to do that and lead a target-SHOOT WHERE THE TARGET AIN'T.-RICK

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

floating the target means to see daylight or space between the top of the bead and the target, rather than touching the bottom of the target with your bead.
    steve balistreri

4. dotis

dotis TS Member

OK NOW I get it, that is to compensate for the fact that the gun shoots high!

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Now you got it...

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Not exactly. Daylight allows you to look over the gun and use more of the master eyes vision. It is preferable to see some daylight for several reasons.
    The most obvious is that if a target dips below the barrel it is difficult for many to shoot. Another reason is that if the target remains over the gun there is a much greater chance you can follow the target.

Joe

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Doesn't this mean your bead checking? If you know where the bird is in relation to the barrel your not focused on the bird. For me I have no idea where that bird is when I shoot. The barrel and beads disappear from sight. I have no concept of my lead if any. I see the bird, shoot it, then follow thru.
    Dave T.

8. canada

canada Member

It doesn't mean that you're bead checking. You're right, you can't look at the bead, but you can be focussed on the target and still see a bird bead relationship. I can tell where I am on every target I shoot at (because I see a bird bead relationship), except the ones I don't get a good look at, and I focus on the bird.

Pat Lamont

9. mono1393

mono1393 Member

To address not seeing the bead in peripheral means you have a lot more targets to shoot to get there. I am still trying to get there. Hopefully, someday I will have the time and money to get there!!!!

Talk to the All Americans and they will tell you that they see the bead on the target when they shoot it.

10. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

you focus hard on the target with your primary vision, you will still see the barrel in your peripheral vision. Like driving your car...you are looking down the road, looking at where you want to go....but you can still see the hood.

Another way to say it...think of a basket ball as your peripheral vision...dead center in the middle of the basket ball is a BB...the BB is your primary or hard focus vision...lock the BB on the target. We spend most of our time using our peripheral vision and seldom do we really use a hard visual focus. Ever walked up on a rattlesnake? I have, and you can feel your hard focus lock on the snake's head...you can see every scale on his pointed little head, in great detail even as you crap your pants in mid-air while quickly learning how to fly backwards!

I think target focus is one of the hardest things for a new shooter to grasp....it is not just looking at the target, little Ned can look at the target! You have to force your eyes out and onto the bird like it was a rattlesnake striking at your crotch...the harder I look at the bird, the easier it is to "see" the barrel....the better I see the bird, the easier the shot becomes. You have to put everything on auto-pilot except forcing your eyes to the target...then the just let the gun go to the bird...just get out of the way and let it happen. It is an almost Zen like experience when it all works good....the gun is just the link that connects your eyes to the bird, a reach extender!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

flincher,

You have to turn them upside down. Then they float.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I put them in the river and they float . It makes for a 100 straight game . if you cant hit with a hand gun or rifle THEN you go to the model 12 [dont have to replace parts} You need to learn the game. OH 4 of them will hold up a kitten

13. jtgunn

jtgunn TS Member

Wow, Someone finally put a name to the way I try to shoot all my caps. Works really well for me, if I do my part. This sets up a really high head position which lets me look over the bbl. I also lower the gun hold to the front of the trap house, this keeps muscle memory from jumping over a target. The comb of my TM1 locks in just under my jaw, and the gun pulls in tight. It really does give you a great look at the trap and the targets. Sometimes I can't get the correct "read" on the targets and it's a long day. BUT I did run 100 straight from 25yds to go to the 27 back in 1991. And they were the infamous 3 hole targets!!! It was a very good day! Wished I could get out and shoot more...

Rich ...back at the fence

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

EE-I'm not sure if you read what I said please elaborate.

15. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I'll try to use little one syllable words. Since your not a gunfitter this may be tough.

The closer the pupil(The pupil is the opening in the center of the iris. The size of the pupil determines the amount of light that enters the eye.) is to the rib the less visual input is available to the master eye.

you cannot see through the gun so where would you look. Oh I forgot you shoot Skeet (Skeet shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Skeet shooting is one of the three major types of competitive shotgun shooting at targets) where you know where the target is going.

When shooting it is ideal for a gun to shoot where your looking. Some people have the problem that when the pupil gets very close to the receiver or even a bit below the plane of the rib they can't see anything with their master or shooting eye.

I stand by my statement that a gun should be fit to allow the eyes to look parallel(1 a: extending in the same direction, everywhere equidistant, and not meeting <parallel rows of trees> b: everywhere equally distant) and above the barrels.

Joe

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

The only way I can tell where the bird is in relation to the barrel is if I close one eye and aim. With two eyes, haven't got a clue. I also think I'm one of those shooters that blacks out when the gun fires. I've read this phemon in Trap and Field and think I'm doing that. I never see the bird actually breaking, ever. Dave T.

17. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It means you'll likely miss the target if you are thinking about "floating".

Bob Schultz

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Ah, peripheral vision. I wonder why it is that something we use everyday is so hard for some to comprehend? Specifically, intently locking our primary vision on a moving clay and actually seeing clay/bead/barrel relationship develop beside that clay. It has to happen whether we're totally aware of the process or not if we're making consistent shots on an angling clay.

To get my Ohio drivers license, I had to pass a peripheral vision test! One where you stare at an "X" in the center of the screen, then tell the examiner when and where you see a blinking dimly lit spot off to one side or other. Same principle for determining that the bead has passed the target on the money side.

Hap

19. dotis

dotis TS Member

"It means you'll likely miss the target if you are thinking about "floating". "

That statement is SOOO TRUE! I shot 6 rounds last night, the second time out with my BT-99, the first time out was pitifull, I was doing low 20's with my 1100 previously. My firsttime out with the new gun I couldn't hit a thing. I did some research, and the first thing I did last night was pattern it at 35 yds, it was shooting high 70%with a figure 8 pattern held a bottom of target, I shot my first round trying to "float" the target and couldn't hit a thing. 2nd round I went to left eye cloased to get the gun up and a nice figure 8, then opened both eyes and called pull, I concentrated on seeing the bird, and then firing when I saw it good, round 2 better, round 3 better yet, 4 = 20 5 = 21, 6 = 21, I feel a lot better now, the only thing different now is my missed birds were straight away with the 1100, with the BT-99 I powder those now, and miss the extreme left and rights now.

20. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

dotis,

Glad you caught on to what I was getting at ...

Now for the angles ... when I shoot, I look for the hard target to see and hold for the hard target to hit. I came to the realization that the angles are actually closer to you than the straight aways! AND you only have the pattern diameter to break the straight bird and you have the shot string to help a bit with the angles. So, on post 1 and 2 my vision center is shifted a bit to the left to help me pick up the angles yet I hold for the straight or almost straight presentation and the opposite on posts 4 and 5. (The hard birds to hit...) What this allows me to do is NOT shoot the straight away bird too fast with a dead gun AND force me to accelerate the gun to the angle birds making them easier.

Most folks miss straight away targets because they are looking over the gun and the bird "appears" to be in the right place on top of the beads and your brain says "pull the trigger". However the gun has not moved or at least not enough to allow for the target speeding upward and you shoot under the target. By looking off the rib a bit you give the target time to get above the rib so you have to move the gun up to the target and develop the shot and break the target.

Hope this helps.

Bob Schultz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

floating the clay target

floating the target in trap shooting mean

what does floating target mean

what does floating the target in trapshooting mean

what does it mean target ft float

what is floating a target

what it means by target is 72000 and floating