1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what do you want in a gun store/dealer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SHOT BUSINESS magazine reports in each issue , on gun store responses and ratings. they ask the same question at each store, varying with the shooting/hunting season. they also evaluate appearance, location,the clerks knowledge, how they are greeted,inventory and what the answer is to their question or needs.-- so -- WHAT DO YOU LIKE OR SEE IN A GUN DEALER /STORE?

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Every shop has it's plus & minus sides, gun buyers are very difficult to please, they want lowest price, and free service. Some people will drive 20 miles to buy the same thing for $1.99 less. This is what you have to put up with in the gun shop business.

However, for me, when standing from outside, the most turn off from a gun shop is the redneck behind the counter.

3. acss

after reading those articles , i really take note of all the above mentioned. i agree with the redneck turnoff, and every store seems to cater to differant clientel, who all have personallities. -- at the end of this thread life , i will give my #1 personal observation.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Integrity and trust are big for me.

At my favorite gun shop I once spotted a beautiful 16ga Citori Lightning, from the original late 80s run, which was mislabeled as a 12 ga. I made an offer and the salesman accepted but then immediatey noticed the blunder. I laughed and offered to let him off the hook, but he declined and sold me the gun at well under BB value.

A couple years later my wife, who had never set foot in a gun shop, went to that same place to buy me a pistol for Christmas. This was a disaster waiting to happen and they could have easily taken advantage of her. But they didn't. After talking to her and figuring out who I was, they steered her to the exact Hi-Power I had looked at a few times before. They gave her a square deal on it too.

Those two acts of integrity meant a lot to me and I will not forget them.

-Gary

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Times were tough and I was in desparate need of money. Took an antique revolver to a local dealer who specializes in old guns. He quoted an estimated value for the gun but stated that he also was having financial problems and couldn't pay what it was worth. I convinced him to give me two hundred dollars for the gun and pay me the difference when he found a buyer. Two days later he called with the balance due, plus a little more since it was a consignment sale and the buyer payed more than the dealer originally thought it would bring. Only dealer I've done business with for over 10 years now.

Robert

6. acss

i own a small gunclub and everyone knows i favor berettas- with that said- parents with a new youth trapshooter decided to buy their boy a new shotgun. they went to a local gun shop & made the comment that they were shooting on our youth trap team. they also told the store owner i suggested a beretta 391( i was out of shooters to sell).--- they came home with a black composit 391 field gun for $900!! this store owner sold them a great gun- but - what was wrong with this sale? and why did he sell them that particular shotgun?------------------becuase that was the only one he had in the store, he doesnt stock trapguns either new or used!!! i know small business is tough but do i recommend that local store again?

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

The "thing" I like to see in a gun store is either Bob Shultz or Mike Battista. If they are running the store I know that you can depend on a fair price and they will stand behind the sale.

Pat Ireland

8. chipdaddy

chipdaddy Member

STUFF!

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I hate the clerk who acts as if I am disturbing him by asking for service or asking a question.

I also hate the clerk who assumes he knows more than I do (this may or may not be true - but why start there?).

I understand that they are in the business to sell things, but when I ask for a specific item, please don't try to sell me something else instead. If you don't have it please tell me so. If you think I am making a poor choice work with me to share your opinion rather than shove it down my throat.

Most OWNERS of gun shops are good people, it tends to be the clerks who will drive me away.

10. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I like a good inventory. If I'm interested in a gun I don't want them to order it for me, I want to see it, hold it, etc.

11. warren

warren Member

My gun dealer is closed for a couple of weeks and I wanted to purchase a 22 rifle for my wife for christmas so I went to Walmart. The clerk was very helpfull, knowledgable and apologetic for the extra hassel, I had to use their coumputer to fill out the form and they them printed it. The clerk informed me that by law they had to keep the form and my identity for 20 years and if that gun ever got the attention of law enforcement they would know that it came from Walmart and could access those records and trace it to me, even though the state and federal records were not kept. Then they would not let me have the gun inside the store even though it was sealed in a box and the store manager walked me, while she was carrying the gun, outside the store and gave it to me there. I got the gun at a fair price and they were very courtious, but somehow I felt like I was doing soemthing wrong, anyway it's the last time I purchase a gun at Walmart.

warren

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'll second Bob Schultz or Joel Etchen...very pleasurable to work with

Now for the kind I don't like...no names will be mentioned but a very nice gun I traded in I was told was a worthless POS...we managed to come to a bit less lop-sided deal...and the next month my gun was at his display table and I had my best friend ask about it and he the dealer sounded like my parrot.."ultra rare"..."nearly mint and if it was fired it doesn't show ".."I should keep it"....What a turkey

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I like a shop with the occasional "home run" that the dealer has no idea of the value of. I don't feel bad about getting that deal because the dealer has covered his profit. I don't like the shop groupies but absolutely detest the dealer who lets the groupies dominate his time while I hang by my fingernails waiting for attention. This is especially true in redneck stores and black gun stores. Most gun store owners don't know anything about collector guns or competition guns and aren't interested in learning.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Professionalism and honesty!

Curt

15. acss

i was in a small private gun dealers store, within 60 miles of my home. so it is likely i cud/wud be back. the locals were at the end of the counter talking about deer hunting and war stories. the owner never got off his stool!!- is this cuased by so many people just "shopping" or sightseeing, that the owner gets complaciant?

16. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    The seller who understands that not everybody walks around with 2,500 cash in their pocket, or 1,000 or even 500.00. AND, will let a guy who really wants the item make payments on it with no questions asked. Some guys can pay off a new 7 or 8,000 Ljutic in 3 or four payments, but then some guys have to make 3 or 4 payments on an 870 TC that is nothing fancy. The seller who treats everyone the same no matter if he walks in the store wearing clothes that came from Goodwill or the Orvis Fly shop.

17. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

My dad,myself,and our salesman ran a retail store and 6 trap trap range and sporting clays range for 25yrs. plus.
    It was a lot of fun, sweat and planning to survive and make your business thrive.
    Met a lot of good people throughout the years. We got out when the competition moved in closer and harder...being a mom and pop shop, made it hard to deal with the super stores like Dicks, Gander MTN etc. being quite close.
    Always tried to treat the customers like I wanted to be treated. Sometimes, you might go a little "berserk", but tried not to.
    So for me, I like to deal with the local shops, if possible, to support them, so they won't be a thing of the past
    Our local Dicks is not bad, one of our ex customers works the counter and is a real nice guy.

puablo/Jeff Philipbar

18. 31 Pump

31 Pump TS Member

I like a store where I can pick up and look at the guns. Having to keep asking over the counter for them to hand me a gun takes a lot of fun out of just browsing.

Glenn

19. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

For the sales-dicks not to stand around bad mouthing the previous customer with stereotypes that also happen to apply to me, all while completely ignoring me as I stand 2 feet in front of them. Hell will freeze over before I buy anything there.

PS - The store is Ramsey Outdoor in NJ, all 3 of them, seems to be a pattern. I have NEVER seen worse salespeople in my life.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

TOPLESS waitress's, the female kind with long legs and short skirts ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what you want gun store