1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use to support your bbl?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DIXIE SPECIAL 25, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

What do you use to hold your barrel so you can clean the bore? Thanks

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use one of these, see link, when I don't just hold it in my hand. Mark

3. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

My hand generally --- then I let it set on a rest I got from Sinclair.....which I actually acquired for my rifles. It is light and portable - take it with me to big shoots.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/cleaning-cradles/cleaning-cradles/sinclair-varmint-rifle-cradle-prod36756.aspx

I have the one for 2......my single barrel can rest on one side one and my double on the other....

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Me, too.

5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I use a Tipton Best Gun Vise.... a really nice tool to have around for Shotguns, Barrels or Rifles.
    I have put the Optics Planet URL above which has a nice run down on the tool.
    Art

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Most of my life I cleaned my guns in a baking tray on a board sitting across the top of a half-barrel of diesel oil or kerosene. Now I use an old mechanics fender cover laid on my bench with the end of the barrel in a cut-down 8# powder jug to catch the drainage.

Keller

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

My bench vise with rubber jaws.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I prefer to hold the gun by hand and put the muzzle into a plastic bucket to catch the runoff and spatter. Especially when cleaning blackpowder cartridge guns.

I have a holder similar to what MTA Tom has, but seldom use it for cleaning. Many of these types of holders either hold the gun horizontally or worse sloping towards the breech, allowing gunk to drain back into the action. This is especially a problem with blackpowder cartridge guns. If you get a gun holder, make sure it will slope the gun down towards the muzzle.

9. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I purchased a set of "rubber" pads, designed to hold the barrel from a vendor at the Southern Grand about 3 years ago. I paid $35 for them and kept telling myself, as I headed home, how foolish I was to spend so much money for pads.

Three years later, and the pads are still perfect (unlike two others I bought earlier for a lot less money) and they hold the barrel very solidly yet leave no marks.

Bob

10. DIXIE SPECIAL 25

DIXIE SPECIAL 25 Lifes too short not to shoot a K-80... TS Supporters

Thanks all..

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Plywood jaws covered with a thick leather pad in a large vice. Tip the barrel down and let it drip on an old towel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.