1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use to pad your comb?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SelectEnergyJim, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SelectEnergyJim

SelectEnergyJim TS Member

I am shooting a Winchester Select Energy with an adjustable comb. When I keep my face down on the stock, my cheek bone takes a beating. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this. What have you done to alleviate this problem?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. SelectEnergyJim

SelectEnergyJim TS Member

I am shooting a Winchester Select Energy with an adjustable comb. When I keep my face down on the stock, my cheek bone takes a beating. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this. What have you done to alleviate this problem?
    Thanks,
    Jim

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Could be that the gun really doesn't fit you if your cheek is taking a beating. Anything thick enough to absorb the recoil on your face will change your sight picture and point of aim.

Eric

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jim;

"Cheek slap" the name given to what you are suffering, can have a number of causes. Eric (above) probably has the answer in that one or more of the stock dimensions on your SE probably do not fit your particular size and shape.

I suggest you investigate this possibility before you pad the comb on your stock, with the possible problem (and others) that Eric noted.

One of the most common causes of cheek slap is a stock with too little "pitch". little Pitch is the term that describes the angle of the butt or recoil pad on the stock. It is close to ninety degrees.

Try this: Slowly mount your gun with the body posture used when shooting. Notice which part of the recoil pad, top (heel) or bottom (toe) first makes contact with your shoulder pocket, the slight indentation just inside your shoulder joint. The gun should be mounted with the top, heel of the pad even with the top of your shoulder. If the pitch on your stock is correct for you and your shooting posture, the entire pad, top to bottom, will make simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

If the bottom toe of the pad makes contact well before the upper heel, you may have found the cause (or at least one of the causes) of your cheek slap.

The pitch can be changed (increased, actually) by having the stock re-cut or by inserting tapered spacers between the pad and the stock. The first remedy shortens the stock slightly while adding spacers lengthens it.

Other possible causes of cheek slap include a gun mount that is too low on the shoulder, a stance that is too square with targets' flight, mounting the gun too far out on the shoulder, very wide shoulders or a combination of these.

Rollin

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I'd guess either pitch or you have the comb too high and you are attempting to get the old sight pic by pressing your cheek too hard against the comb. You SHOULD not need anything on the comb other than the comb. A firm but not squashed face fit. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.