1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use to collect your reloaded shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sparky30-06, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparky30-06

Sparky30-06 TS Member

Getting ready to set up for some winter reloading. Have a Mec 9000G with an automate set up and working great. Only problem is what to collect the reloaded shells in. Been using a small plastic tub but it fills up to fast. Any suggestions and pictures of what you use?? thought about making some kind of slide to head down to a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. Any problems with the fall into the bucket??

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Use a bigger tub. I use an empty target box, holds over 500. Jake

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

My Spolar drops through the desk into a 5 gallon bucket sitting on a milk crate underneath. I have dropped them all the way to the bucket on the floor with a piece of indoor outdoor carpet in the bottom as well but the milk crate keeps me from occasionally missing the bucket.

--- Chip King ---

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

If your dumping them into a single tub you may be asking for trouble. Sooner ro later you will have a powder problem of some other problem that will cause you to wonder if all your reloaded shells will go bang, it has happened to all of us. You get going and forget to add powder, even if its only 4 or 5 shells and you have a tub with 200 in it how do you find the bad shells? Pack each 25 in a box as you load them and number the boxes. If you have a problem you can find it much easier.

5. JRW

JRW Member

My Spolar drops through bench and, I used a vent pipe to direct them to a tub out the left side of table. Jerry

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Pack each 25 in a box as you load them and number the boxes"

Good idea but will pretty well throw out the concept of Progressive loaders and higher volume loaded in a shorter time.

Mine go thru the table into a plastic container that will hold about 150 loaded. When it fills i dump them into either my 20 or 25 gallon tubs. When i reach the number i'm shoot'n for on my loader counter, i box 'em. I check my shells randomly with my "Unloader" as i'm loading. Spot checking keeps me honest so-to-speak.

Matt

7. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Mine go thru the table, down a pipe, into a five gallon bucket. I then put what I need for the day into a playmate cooler and carry them to the range in that. Much easier and no need to box, or fool with boxes. works for me.

8. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Gotta agree with Matt on this one. With my setup, I have a 5in-3in reducer set in the hole in my bench so my shells drop all the way into a 5gal bucket and I don't box anything until the bucket is full. As for running out of powder, I know we all do it but it has been a very, very, very long time since I have run out of shot or powder(knock on wood), primers can be another story. With the last cold spell, I now have 14 flats of 12 ga loaded and 3 flats of .410 as well. The toughest thing is having to sit there and box a whole bucket of shells. Usually around 22-23 boxes. If things go well, my wife and stepson will help box.

Todd

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a Mec 9000G. The shells fall through the table to a 2'x18"x14" tub. It will hold more shells then I care to lift at once.

10. RJG53

RJG53 TS Member

I also use a MEC with an automate that is mounted to an old office desk that has drawers on the right. I use a circle drill saw and cut a 4" hole in the top of the desk, large enough to push a 4" pvc pipe through it. At the top I glued on a 45 elbo that fits right up to the slide on my MEC. The pipe has been supported at the bottom, just above a plastic pal large enough to hold about 300 loaded shells. I fastened the pipe to the desk top using three 90 corner fasteners using short tapered flat head 1/4 x 20 bolts. Usually empty bucket after each 200 shells, the capacity of my primer feed table. Works great.

Bob

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's how I have mine set up for loaded shells and a catch can for spent primers.
    [​IMG]
    This is the back view above.
    [​IMG]
    This is the front view. I can load over two flats with room to spare in the plastic tub. Works well for me!

Hap

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm with Bernie. Unless you take your shells to the club in bags, you have to box them sooner or later so where's the time gained by not boxing as you go? I'd rather find a problem on the first shell, not the 101st.

I removed the finished shell ramp and the little "kicker" tab from my 9000E and take each shell off the loader, give it a quick look-over and place it in my MEC E-Z Pak. When I'm done loading a flat of shells (the quantity I always load in), I'm REALLY done loading - the shells are all boxed and those boxes are back in their flat box. No holes in my benchtop, no buckets hanging around, no surprises later on and no sitting there boxing shells.

Ed

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A blue plastic Dillon tub next to one of the Dillon's. It holds 265 rounds. Thats three loads of 85 empties in the auto shell feeder. Then I box a flat at a time, which is the way I like to manage my reloading.

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

2" pipe to 5 gal pail on both my machines.

500-525 in a 5 gal. pail and put lid on pail. Stack pails 4 high. 2000-2100 rounds in a 1 square foot area and no shelves needed. Storage is water/moisture proof.

Boxing for practice loads is done from the 5 gal pail at the club between lines. I use the Shell Caddy system - plastic box with plastic EZ-pack.

525 empties fit in a 5 gal pail. Empties go into a large nylon bag until bucket is empty and then into bucket and sealed. No "debris" in empties, and no need to check hulls for "junk" before loading. Easy to track number of times hulls loaded too.

I got rid of 40+ flats of paper boxes that present a fire hazard and saved a lot of space. No need to carry empty boxes and flats around from range to car to garage to basement.

Competition shells are now boxed in flats. Thinking of converting to Pail method and boxing next days needs the night before.

Don Verna

15. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Ditto the whole in the table with a 9000H

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I let my reloads shoot off the back of the loader and into an old wood box with a burlap bag in the bottom that sits on a stool behind the loader.

MK

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been using this for +/- 18 years!

18. Hap MecTweaks

Sir Dodd: I see our systems are very similar in operation and set up! Happy

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hey Hap, how do you like the least expensive "computer" desk from gosh knows where. I assembled all that as a temporary set up and haven't had a reason to change it all this time; been to 3 houses since the first assembly; breaks down in a whiz. <;-)

20. Hap MecTweaks

Sir Dodd, I like, it works and that's the important part! The one my Hs are mounted on above is a wood workers bench with vices at each end. I covered the "peg holes" with Lexan and have a spill proof 1/2x1/4 inch wide perimeter strip all around so any spilled shot stays on the table. One end of the edging is pinned to make any boo-boo a snap to clean-up.

I have another larger bench from Ikea, probably 3 times as large as the one in the picture above with other loading goodies on it too. Rifle and shotshell loaders. The Ikea unit has steel legs and supports all bolted together with a very heavy top.Both units are bolted together and can be moved fairly quick should the need arise.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.