1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use to clean your shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Al391brown, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

What do you use for cleaning and protecting your shotgun or do you use one product for both, also what are you using for cleaning the inside of the barrel bore snake, rod with jag,bronze brush?

2. ZTWITHE

ZTWITHE Member

Shotgun cleaning and protecting

R.G.S. for the barrel, Barricade for the outside of the gun and wheel bearing grease for metal to metal contact areas. Works for me.

3. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Eezox with a boresnake is great for cleaning right after a shoot. Slp2000 EWL with their 725 cleaner is the best with a rod. I have used them all and these two products are the best. They also are the best at protecting the metal from corrosion and rust. They are made with a synthetic oil that does not attract dirt, unlike most oils, and they bond with the metal to eliminate the chance of water getting in the pores of the metal, which causes rust. It takes two or three patches to clean my gun now with a rod and all the plastic wad residue comes out in a sheet. EEzox has brake clean in it, so don't use in an enclosed space that is not ventilated. Good luck!

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Take the barrel away from the wood and use acetone and patches. Then a light coating of Krieghoff oil. Clean the other metal contact parts, including trigger group with cloth or mineral oil. Keep it out of the wood. Grease contact ares with STOS or Krieghoff grease. A kind 'smith showed me that the use of Krieghoff grease is great at the sear area in the trigger group. It clings really well.

Wipe entire gun down, when finished, with a light coating of Krieghoff oil to protect from "poison" hands. If possible, store the gun vertically with barrel pointing down.

I do believe that the cleaning of barrels may be overdone. I also suspect that reloads will always dirty up a gun a lot more than will fresh factory loads. Perhaps it is all in the crimp? I also suspect that a good dedicated chamber cleaning brush is a good thing to have to prevent shells from sometimes sticking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.