1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you use to apply oil on your guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cec, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cec

cec TS Member

What do you use to apply oil to your guns.... There are lamds wool wipes and half Mitts (new) at the above URL.

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I use G-96 spray and wipe with microfiber cloth. I also have one of those microfiber cloths soaked in an oil that I keep in the gun case in teh event of rain. I use grease applied by hand or a small brush for lubricating the hinge points.

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I use a product from Lucas Oil products for guns and outdoor equipment. small amount a rag or a cue tip.

4. VietVet

VietVet TS Member

For well over 45 years I have used a soft shaving brush. Put a few drops of oil on it, and it will leave a very thin coating of oil on the exterior. This is the last step in cleaning and oiling before putting the gun(s) away. Works great on shotguns, rifles, pistols, etc.

The quest now would be to find a shaving brush ;-}

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A cleaning patch is large enough cause I'm try trying to oil a cannon.

MK

6. plaw

plaw Active Member

A piece of lambs wool with what ever kind of oil you prefer..

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a 2yard long by 1 yard wide piece of gray flannel...I use pinking shears from the sewing kit to cut out a nicely edged 8"x 8" rag that I use Militec synthetic oil...also use Amsoil marine 4cycle with extra rust inhibiters..after the rag has the right amount of oil in it I put them in very small ziploc freezer bags then keep it with the gun in its case...very cheap and always handy

8. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Bore patch lightly lubed with Clenzoil to apply a light coat on most areas. Artist's brush for harder to reach areas. I go light with everything unless I'm prepping the gun for longer term storage and even then I don't overdo it here in West Texas - dry climate.

9. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Chamois that I spray down with SiliKroil

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Start out with a piece (half) of towel. Oil it up, oil it some more, never wash it, leave it in the case laying in the barrels. Re-oil if needed.

Part of an old T-shirt works just as well.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I'm very anal about this subject. (Yeah, right) I buy my ultra soft yellow micro fiber clothes from Costco in a bulk pack. You know, the very expensive $4.00 per 24 pack ones, not the $2.50 per 24 pack of those cheap terry cloth types. I very, very, carefully spray a cloth with about 3-4 squirts of Scott's Liquid Gold Furniture Polish and slowly, but, gently, wipe and massage the gun down with this set-up.... lol. A drop of the cheapest 30W motor oil I can buy on the hinge pins, barrel ears, and the forend surfaces, and a shot or two of Break Free in the Precision Triggers and I'm good to go. Has worked fine for over 30 years.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Silver,

I hope this application is after a nice dinner and a few glasses of Merlot?

14. Duck

Duck Member

Shop rag full of WD40 carried in a small olive jar in my shooting bag. Wipe it down put it back and cover, also throw my wooly snap caps in the jar while shooting.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A couple years ago there was a similar post about how to best oil/clean the inside of a shotgun barrel. Some joker replied with something like, "I use a pair of my wife's panties and pull them through the barrel with a come-along." That might still be the funniest thing I ever read on TS.com

-Gary

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Glancing at this thread, I am surprised that Krieghoff Gun Oil has not been mentioned...neat stuff, a little goes a long way.

Is there a downside to the K-Gun oil that I'm missing? Will that oil cause one's gun to act in a more complicated and idiosyncratic manner?

Curious minds working overtime again..

17. 682b

682b Member

What ever happened to a piece of a old T shirt soaked in gun oil. I am with Bruce on the oil side, LUCAS gun oil.

18. Gun Dog

Gun Dog TS Member

The little white plastic thing on top of the can .

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Using a big cloth like a mitt or piece of t-shirt doesn't get oil into places like under the rib or between the barrels of an O/U. About the only gun I ever wiped down with a big cloth were plain-barrel Mossbergs. You could reach anywhere on those guns with a rag. I prefer to wipe my O/Us with a patch that gets where I need it to go.

MK

20. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Hey Gary, I believe that panty strategy would work well in my house too. Wouldn't have needed the come-along 30 years ago, LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grease soaked chamois for guns