1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Vizsla's??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

What do you think of Vizsla

What are experiences with people that own this breed, and what are your thoughts of this breed in itself. I've read more good than bad, but I've really never been araound them much. Thanks

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Please post a picture of one

3. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Having raised Vislias, they are devoted, willing to please, good house and family dogs, but can go out in the field and work. They have a tendency to be a bit flighty/nervous, learn quickly. Tend to work birds better if they are by themselves and working with other dogs.

4. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Sorry, my brain was working faster than my fingers....They work better by theirselves THAN with other dogs..

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Better in Iowa than Texas. As was mentioned, find a good breeder and talk to those who have previous dogs from same/similar breeding. Make sure you get the ones that are field dogs and not show ring. Because of their good temperament, many are breeding them for the show ring.

6. amos6979

amos6979 TS Member

My Vizsla is a mix mutt very affectionate and he is like a Velcro will not leave my side, non hunter just the best house dog I have ever had very good natured.

7. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

Great dogs, good hunters,can be hipper, they are a happyer dog if field worked. Thin Skinned,use a light hand, no shock collars, I've had six over the years. First one(Szabo)was a very quriky dog to work with, miss the first bird she would go back to the truck. Kill the first, bird hunt all day. Reaghan are 8 year old bitch, best bird machine I've owned. We've only ever owned Vizsla's. Lou

8. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks for all the input, I'm looking to get one of the things. How are they in the water??? I live in Western Nebraska and do shoot Mallards and Pheasants. I am an Animal Control Officer and have come across literally, thousands of animals. I have one, who I believe, is one of the most gifted dogs in the valley. I'm guessing he's Choc. Lab/Vizsla. He's soft hearted, but can hunt with the best of 'em. He get's cold, but doesn't want to quit. I've always had labs, but the lab Vizsla, is awesome!!!! I'm due for a new pup, but I do need one that will work waterfowl, what are your thoughts. I indeed thank you for your time and your input. Jim Bornschlegl Mitchell, Nebraska

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once saw a Viszla and thought it was a Red Bone Coon Hound.........Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This is Dixie, when she was 10 weeks old she went on puppy point on her 1st potty training session in the back yard. Great bird dog and wonderful family pet. They have very soft personalitys meaning they get their feelings hurt easily. They love the water. She loves the grandkids and people in general, very gentle. She belongs to my son and lives in El Paso where she gets to hunt Quail a lot
    [​IMG]

I never hunted with her as of yet but my son is an avid bird hunter and swears she is one of the best. He checked out the bloodline very closely then went to the breeder and spent two days hunting with her Mother. Viszla's are expensive like all good dogs. I spent a week with her at home twice and she is a wonderful animal with the kids

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I can how you could think she could be a red bone, I have had a couple.

tony

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Like any dog, some can be hyper, or shallow. Check out the Stud and bitch. The breeding pair determine the percentage of your chance for success. Call a vet that is familiar with the breed , or get on line and check out a Vizsla Club. There are some hip problems in some of the blood lines. All the more reason to check out ma and pa before buying. "Copper", the dog owned by a freind of mine died of a seizure @ 4 years, but it was in the blood line when they checked it out. He was a great hunter, but very soft when it came to discipline.

13. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I've had,, and hunted with some GREAT dogs.

After my last Brit, Montok-Painless-Rebel (Pete). The one one which stand out in my mind is a Vizsla. Then again, I've always had a thing for Red-Heads.

14. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Very smart dogs. They are bird machines. The ones I have had are easy to train and easy to discipline. Like mentioned above, very tender dogs. Joy to watch hunting as mine never venture past 30 yards. Had a pair of brothers once (Fats and Browning) that were the absolutely best birders I have ever had. Nothing could get away if you wanted. Sweeper noses. Those brothers would hunt dead all day long if needed. I have never had one live to 12 yrs., male or female. If you enjoy a relaxing, easy going bird hunt, with a dog that is not running and flushing in the next section, I believe they are the dog. IMHO

15. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is Fasza (Hungarian for bitch) at 1 year old. She is now 6. Couldn't ask for a better, more affectionate pet or nursemaid for our grandkids. She also does a good job out in the field.<br>

[​IMG]

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have hunted with some pretty bad ones--

As mentioned above- find a good breeder and watch one of the parents work if possible

I wouldnt think they would be good cold water duck/goose dogs but have only seen them used for upland hunting

Gene

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Copper= I have had American water spaniels also- have one now in the house as a matter of fact

Gene

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Despite being a "versatile" classified dog, I would not use a V-dog for waterfowl in the north. A Drahthaar or Wirehair, no problem.

19. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

If your going to be duck hunting or pheasent hunting in cold weather, stick to the lab. I have both and the Vizsla does not like cold water as very thin coated. Other wise great dogs. BRGII

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have lost count of how many wirehairs I have owned. I have 6 right now. That is a good number. I am a dedicated duck hunter and quail hunter and have yet to hunt with another breed that could do both as well. Not all of them are of equal capability but when you get a good one they excel at both. I would say of the six of them three of them are fully capable of putting in a day of cold winter duck hunting out of a blind followed by a day of hard running wild quail hunting. The vizslas are beautiful dogs. My preference would be a wirehaired vizsla. They have been crossed with wirehairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vizsla cold water

what do people think of their vizsla