1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of this load?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

what primer,? with CCI 209M and Rem 209P it'll likely be under 1100 fps a very soft shooter for 16 yds....

go to the website above and figure it out for yourself...don't ask, look! We will ALL be safer!

2. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I shot a similer load of green dot and had a few bloopers. Went to 19.6 green dot and the bloopers went away. My load chronographs 1166 fps with the 19.6 green dot.

3. hairy

hairy TS Member

I like GreenDot for heavier loads, but for what you are after, I think 16½ grains of RedDot would be better.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Without provable data, it's been my experience that using windjammer wads will not lead to consistency when building light loads. Lighten a fairly heavy load? Good idea to try jammers but using slow powder, light charge of powder, soft primers with jammers could well result in irregular loads IMHO....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

We just get to say what we "think", right r44u77? I "think" it will be slow and probably inconsistent though Federal Primers would be of some help. It's a problem easily solved by following hairy's advice.

Neil

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd is absolutely correct about the Windjammer wads and low pressure. I have been reloading Windjammers for quite a while and have found what he stated to be right on the money. I have patterned and chronographed more of these loads than I care to admit to. For light singles loads, I prefer to use 17.5gr of Promo powder, and for my handicap loads, I shoot 22gr. Green Dot with 11/8oz. The Windjammer wad leans towards lower pressures as it is. I don't believe you will build a consistant load using 18.6 Green Dot. The Promo, or Red Dot load is much better suited to what you are looking for, with Promo being the most economical.... Just my experience..Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I load 16.6gr of red dot with sts primers and 1 ounce of shot no recoil at all.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

To light for GD, use 17gr. of Clays and 1 oz. You can't even feel it.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just loaded 1000 of that load using Winchester powder, I broke a 100 in Hdcp using 18.0 grains of Green Dot AA Hull, AA-wad, Winchester primer, they were about 1125 FPS if I remember right, it was the old Green Dot powder and I did it in the 70s from 24 1/2 yds Springfield Ohio July 4th weekend.

I have not had any problem with the windjammer wad yet with the above load.

I shot this load for over 15 years.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.