1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of Kolar guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

How do you like the Kolar guns? Are they worth the money?
    How about recoil? What is best the 40 thousandths barrel or the 50?

2. wlc

wlc Member

I recently bought one, a .750 bore. I haven't shot it enough have an opinion about how well I will be able to do with it. Felt recoil is much less than my previous gun. I ordered it stocked to fit me, that may account for the lessened recoil. What ever the reason, I enjoy it.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I have a Kolar Max combo 34/32. Very little recoil. 750 bore. Its a big gun. Not a gun for a short little guy. Im shooting it pretty well. I have the number 4 stock with alot of offset. Stock is important with these high rib guns. Gun is designed extremely well. Great service if you need it.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I shoot a 15 year old 90T (manufactured for Remington, by Kolar) and without a doubt their engineering is super!

Jay

5. traphouse52

traphouse52 Member

See the 750 bore combo I just listed. I believe the Kolars are as good as they get. I upgraded to a Silver Seitz and use another Kolar for doubles. If you are going to the Grand I will have ti there.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I purchased a new Max T/A combo last year and I was starting to shoot it well and got the bug for a new gun then sold it. They for sure are right up there but here is the two things I found with mine and why it went down the road. They are way to heavy feeling to me. It seemed after a few hundred round that it was all I could do to finish the round. It started feeling like I was swinging a 4x4. Most of that is because of a very bad back. Also you will find that the resale on a Kolar is not very good. Why, I don't know but it just seems like it takes for ever to sale one even after trying to give it away. Mine went by by for a K 80 trap special that is the perfect gun for me. It swings better and feels pounds lighter. Good luck with your choice. You cant go wrong if you find a near new condition used one that somebody already took the Kolar no resale hit on.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I had a T/S and wish I still did.

8. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Built like a tank, you can shoot it for life and very dependable. Well engineered and easily replaceable parts when they wear, firing pins, hinge pins and springs. It can be dry fired all day without hurting it as well...

9. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I shot a K80 for 8 years, up until last year, and then wanted to make a change. I tried out a Kolar because, as a retired engineer, it appeared to me to be the best engineered gun on the market. The Kolar was just too heavy for me so I decided to keep looking. Then one day a guy let me shoot his Perazzi and I immediately fell in love with the gun and knew that I had to have one. In my opinion, the pointability and swing dynamics of a Perazzi are unmatched.

10. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I owned an unsingle and had factory fit a new over under to it and it was one that both barrells would not shoot even close to the same poi. The bottom bbl shot low and top bbl shot high. Kolar would not do anything about it and I sold it and moved on to a Perazzi. They are heavy but well made guns. A shooter at club has a 750 bore which does not seem as heavy as the gun I owned. jim w.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shoot em all,

I'd love to know the whole story about Kolar "not wanting to help you" with the O'U barrels and the way they shot. Kolar will absolutely bend over backwards to help out someone shooting one of their products. I had an issue with one of my subgage tubes in my skeet gun and they took care of the matter very quickly and wouldn't take a dime for it. I didn't buy the tubes new and they could have cared less. As they told me it was their product and it needed to be fixed.

As far as their guns, I like them. Yes they are built a little on the heavy side, but are balanced well. The no cost stock options are the best out there and all the gun manufacturers could learn from this. Customer service is as good as it gets in my book. I like the way the .750 barrels balance on the combos, but I like the .740 bore on the T/S.

You really need to try one out and see if it works for you.

ss

12. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

I bought o/u bbls thru pete and requested that both bbls shoot 60/40 so I could shoot o/u for all gamesjiI had a pattern board in my back yard and when I saw what was happening I contacted pete and he sent me all the different size bbl spacers to try and pull bottom up and top down. This didn't work so I was heading for Grand and when I got there the gunsmith put it in a vice and said something about barrells being mounted incorrectly in monobloc. However the big dogs at Kolar totally ignored me. So I didn't bring it home with me from Grand. jim w

13. Donm

Donm Active Member

There is more to this story than is being told. I know the people at Kolar and they would never ingnore even you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.