1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of a BENELLI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Comet, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Comet

Shooting Comet TS Member

BENELLI'S are one of the softest shooting gun that I've ever shot and they have helped me win alot of shooting competitions.

Cody T.

2. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Cody,
    You must be a Benelli sales rep to say they are one of the softest shooting guns. They are great guns and shoot forever but one thing they are not is soft shooting. Try a beretta semi. Better gun and much softer shooting.

3. Shooting Comet

Shooting Comet TS Member

No, I am not a sales rep for Benelli. I have been shooting my Benelli Supersport for 3 years competitively and have won 29 first place trophies so far. I am a subjunior A class shooter and have never complained about the recoil of my supersport. I love it and everyone that I let try the gun out loves the way it performs. It is really worth trying. It isn't even a typical trap gun and I manage fine. I can hang in there with the Beretta folks with my Benelli.
    Cody

4. Trauma901

Trauma901 Member

Let me just say this. I've taken more waterfowl with a Benelli Nova than with any other gun, semi or pump. Soft shooting? Not so much, however, the easiest pump or semi-auto to clean bar none, in my opinion. My wife has a Benelli Ultralight which she adores. Coupled with the proper round, i.e.- 1oz or less no more than 1200 fps and a good kickeeze pad, I feel the recoil is easily manageable, alot like my Beretta 391 out of the box. You can't go wrong with a Benelli as far as quality of build and absolute reliability.

5. alf174

alf174 Member

excellent but too light for me

6. Shooting Comet

Shooting Comet TS Member

Actually the majority of the 29 trophies I have won have been against men old enough to be my grandfather. I have won several HOA awards in singles and handicap. I do not shoot against little kiddies most of the time. I am offended by your comment that any award a kid will win is considered meaningless. Don't rule out the kids you see walking up to the line as your competition because more than likely they will either beat you or give you a run for your money. I go to a competition and view everyone there as my competiton not just the kiddies. You should respect all shooters of all ages not just the older ones.
    Cody

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Comet, you are too young to feel the full affects of repeated recoil. I thought recoil would never bother me either, but now I'm a recoil wussy. I don't know how big you are, but it does help as well. I've used a SBE since the first year they were available, around 85'?? I now use an M1 for ducks. The Chevron stock does make a difference, but it is still one of the hardest shooting autos. Believe me, I've owned them all. I now use a Beretta Xtrema for goose hunting. Much softer than the SBE. Good luck with your shooting.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Their field guns are utterly reliable and kick like a pump.

9. Trauma901

Trauma901 Member

Well, bidgetoofar, my comment of cleaning was based on experience and my "analness" about the cleanliness of my guns, which extends beyond a quick spray of the local Wal-Mart special solvent and a sweep of the boresnake. If that works for you, okeedokie. I've found the Benelli products to be much easier to clean based solely on number of parts.

As far as reliability, I've yet to have any Benelli fail to function as it was designed to do. Might be due to my cleaning procedures.

Thanks for your input. I'll unload all my Benelli's at the local pawn shop posthaste ;-(...

Doug

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I love my nova.....it loves those 3.5 inch waterfowl and turkey loads. I dont shoot it for trap because there isnt the adrenaline there to soften the recoil of the lightest trap load. that think kicks like a mule....but has never failed to cycle a shell for me. thats all i have to say about that.........

Forrest

11. PODO

PODO TS Member

I am 71 years old and have been shooting an H&K Benelli Competition for the past 11 years. I use my Browing Broadway for trap and (pardon me) my Benelli for skeet. I find it to be the sweetest and softest shooting auto I have ever shot. The Beretta today is in fact the old H&K Benelli since they won in court. - TOM

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

An outstanding field gun, but a very poor choice for any of the clay games. Heavy recoil, can not handle light loads reliably, horrible triggers and few aftermarket accessories available are the main reasons.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Tron is right. The triggers suck and they tend to be barrel light. However, 3 years ago in Arkansas, when it was 3 degrees, I was the only gunner with an auto, all the Berettas and Remingtons were single shots. They are reliable.

14. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Benelli guns are great guns and you can't judge them all the same. The comment that they are barrel heavy is true but that applies to almost all hunting guns. I have shouldered the SBEII and I can say I wouldn't shoot it for sporting games as I didn't like the balance of the gun. It was setup to hunt and that is probably where it shines. I am sure we get all the comments about easy of cleaning and so forth, but that is just a secondary thing as guns must fit and shoot. We will get comments about it's a better action or this is a better action, but honestly with the Beretta and Browning, Winchester I haven't seen a problem, if they are cleaned and kept up. If you neglect the Benelli it was also fail so we can say the actions are different but all of them are pretty reliable. Please don't judge the Benelli's unless you have shot or shouldered the sporting gun versions. This would be the Super Sport, Sport II, and the Cordoba ( super sport in black). These gun balance different than others and for some are great fast shooting guns. They certainly go a different route than most people are used to as the guns are fast, and some would call them wippy, but don't make the Benelli sporting gun feel like a browning which weights etc. Get used to the gun, learn to pull the trigger when the sight picture is there, and let the gun play the game. For those that shoot a SS or such they will understand that statement.
    With regards to the triggers on the Benelli's, the sporting models have one of the best triggers out of the box I have ever come accross. They are a little heavy at first but after 1000 rounds settle into 4-5 lbs pulls with not take up.

Yes I shoot a Super Sport Benelli and hate the fact it's an auto loader, I hate picking up shells, I hate the shell catcher attached to the gun, I hate pushing the button to close the action, I hate the benelli click. However I love the way it tracks and breaks targets which is the reason for shooting in the first place. If only I could find and over under that shot like this gun I would be in heaven, but I just haven't found it yet.

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

Bridgetofar you couldn't beat Cody on your best day of shooting. That kid is going to be a Bigdog one day.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tron is correct. I own three of them, a Super Black Eagle and two twenty guage Montefeltro's. They are excellent ( the best) for hunting. They are not for clays

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Tron has it. All the novice shooters that were coming out with Benelli autos for skeet and trap now leave them home for hunting or have sold them.

These same guys are shooting Browning, Beretta, K & P guns, etc.

For both skeet and trap. I don't think they changed just to be like the rest of the gang.

Go figure.

HM

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've got a Sport II and tron hit it. I've not noticed the recoil yet. I just acquired one of those Beretta's with the interchangeable ribs, recoil reduction and weights. Havn't fired it yet so I can't evaluate!!

19. biff

biff Active Member

I know Cody and have seen him shoot. He is the nicest most respectable 12 year old you will ever meet. He has the full support of his father and mother, David and Sabrina Thorne in Tennessee and Otnot has it right without ever meeting him; this young man can shoot. Last year in the Tenn. State shoot he beat Trent Inman(an All American Sub Junior) in a shootoff 25 to 24, shooting with the Benelli. Tom Knapp, Benelli trick shooter and rep has met Cody and is very impressed with Cody's demeanor and shooting ability.

I also believe Cody is working against odds by shooting the Benelli and have asked Ljutic to loan him a Tournament Grade Trapgun. Cody loves his Benelli and 3 dram loads also; he shoots left handed and has the ejected shells flying across in front of his face. He doesn't let any of that stand in the way of his shooting and is a very competitive mild mannered young man I would be very proud to call my son! Biff

20. redix

redix TS Member

I've taken more ducks with my Benelli than any other shotgun. Reliability is it's great feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.