1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about WINDOWS 8?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What do you think of WINDOWS 8? Kim Komando on the radio says she thinks that Windows 7 is better, more programs, and Micro Center says WINDOWS 8 will be the downfall of Windows.

How many agree with this?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What do you think of WINDOWS 8? Kim Komando on the radio says she thinks that Windows 7 is better, more programs, and Micro Center says WINDOWS 8 will be the downfall of Windows.

How many agree with this?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

As an upgrade forget it, what's the point if you don't have touch screen capability.

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I got as far as Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I will operate XP programs but you have to reset the BIOS and download a couple of programs. Does anyone know whether Windows 8 is backward compatable so you don't have to junk your XP programs? BT100dc

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I upgraded to Windows 8. Had to install a new print driver so I could wirelessly print, but other then that have had no issues other then not happy with the start window.

An interesting read and some suggestions....

How to get the Start menu back in Windows 8

Several third-party utilities can serve as Start menu replacements for Windows 8 users who aren't as keen on the new Start screen.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57496506-292/how-to-get-the-start-menu-back-in-windows-8/

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I would wait. Microsoft has a habit of sending product out the door and then fixing it. Why be a guinea pig? I never could get a printer to work on Vista for the first 6 months after it came out.LOL

7. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Ctreay, you will have to buy the 2013 version of anything you want to run on Windows 8.

Charlie

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: 2013 version of anything

I'm running Office 2003 without issues.

When I did the upgrade the Windows 8 upgrade program said it was not compatible, but haven't had any issues.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My Techie Guru, who happens to be my youngest son, said if I wanted to go to Windows8, I was on my own. He wanted nothing to do with it.

I'm sticking with Windows7 as it is the best one yet. Plus I always listen to my Guru...........lol

Hauxfan!

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Years ago software companies (including Microsoft) use to give out Beta versions of their new software for consumers to try for 3 to 6 months. They would use the hardware and software configurations of your PC and make things compatible.

Now they bring new stuff out, give it a limited test with the most popular soft and hard-ware, and use the negative responses to give the upgraded (fixed) software names like Version 2.3, 4.5, or call it a Service Pack 2-3-4- (SPK).

I use XP Pro, and Windows 7, which I like both. Win 7 a little more now that I'm use to it. I have talked to a few IT folks that have not said anything good about Win 8. I would wait until at least SPK 2 for I bought it.

Wayne

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Why fool with the WINCRAP stuff. Dump the junk and buy a Mac. It's the original GUI interface and it works.

T

12. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I got Windows 7 last spring, and love it. Had Vista before that and it was worthless. Had to press control-P to print and then wait 20 minutes. Had computer rage over it. I'm alot calmer with Windows 7. LOL.

13. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I am using Classic Shell http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/ to by pass the APP start up page. So far works great. 10Tenner

14. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

The new start menu layout in Win8 took me about 2 weeks to get used to. After that, I actually started to like it (after initially hating it). I think it takes an extra click to get to some things but it's not bad.

The operating system itself is very fast, stable, and has the best security of any version of Windows to date. So, there are some positives.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I was waiting for the Stevie Jobs brainwasyed macnut, to tell everybody how great the mac is. Fortunately he didn't disappoint. Macs are fine so long as you don't mind paying twice the price of equal Windows computers. It the Mac OS was so great then why doesn't Apple license it to other hardware makers? Afraid of a little competition huh.

Actually, the Mac wasn't the original GUI interface, Atari had them beat by quite a few years.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My desktop is Vista Ultimate and my laptop is Windows 7 Premium....and I hate it...at least for email...give me Windows mail, or even better Outlook Express....far superior to the new stuff IMHO.

Ron Burr

17. oz

oz Active Member

XP was fine. I have 7 pro and it seems fine. I use outlook express.

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

John Galt

Showing your blue brain here. Its blue because its oxygen deprived from all the Wincrap you use.

First cost of a system is misleading. Yes... you pay a little more for a Mac but you get a whole lot more in return. Almost no crap ware for one. I have run my systems without any virus protection for 20+ years. Try doing that in the WINDOZ arena.

You asked why Apple does not license the system. Well they did for a while and recognized that all that was being produced was inferior systems so they stopped doing it.

The same thing is now being replayed in the Smart Phone Market. Apple keeps a tight rein on the software to keep the junk out and Android does not care and its become a cesspool of mal ware. When will guys like you ever learn?

T

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Yes, and Steve Jobs was god and Bill Gates is the devil too- LOL.

Fortunately, most Mac owners aren't completely nuts.

20. ink ball

ink ball Member

You'll get better breaks with Windows 7.5 vs Windows 8 (sorry...couldn't resist!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.