1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you see when you miss?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

What do you see when you miss the target, whether it is singles or handicap? Biff

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The four other guys on the squad laughing their asses off.

3. wdr-NY

wdr-NY TS Member

Normally I don't see anything but the end of the barrel... that's because I covered the target and I touched it off as soon as I couldn't see the target anymore... shot right over it. 99.9% of the time.

Walker

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

A whole target flying away. LOL Sorry the devil made me do it! For some reason when I miss my eyes go back to the beads and my mind is in turmoil. You should try crossfiring if you want a funky sight picture. My eye dominace has switched and the only way I can shoot without a patch is to close my left eye between shots to make it blurry and open it just before I call for the target.

5. drucker

drucker TS Member

The inside of my eyelids.....quite often

6. Ibex

Ibex TS Member

A clear view down range, because I have just picked my head up off the stock.

Ibex

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

That orange disk flying away with a laugh, while the guy next to me saying: "I'll give you $500 for that Perazzi."

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

A stupid clay bird flying all the way out to the pile of others we've missed before. Also, some blue smoke from my ears, if the wind is behind me. Why do people ask these questions? Sadists.

My personal philosophy about misses is as follows:
    if it is the first bird, then I don't have to worry about a long run and can have fun
    if it is the last bird, I go into a deep depression for five minutes and then say ****it and go on with life.
    if it is in the middle, it is life as normal
    I don't let one miss turn into three. The bird is gone. Let it go. You only need to concentrate on the next one. All my fifties, seventy fives, and lonely hundred have been on days when I only thought about the bird I was calling.

9. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

The gun barrel. Bead checking. Shouldn't see it, just the target shattering.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Miss? Don't know. Wayne

11. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I agree with Steve W-that is excatly what I see and hear as well.

Joe

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I see the target speeding away because I shot under or short, second shot on doubles different story.

13. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

...the light
    -Trappy

14. biff

biff Active Member

I hate to say this, but I think some of you missed the point I was trying to make. Those kind of comments indicate to me that the reason you missed was because you didn't take trying to break the target seriously. Seriously,now what I hear people say is "I shot over it", or "I shot in front/behind it", or "I wasn't on it"......These are the comments I hear when a fellow shooter explains why his score is what it is.

Lanny Basham say don't dwell or give thought to misses, don't reinforce something negative by thinking about it.....and he's right on that part, he encourages you to not even listen to negative shooters. So, lets start over and lets see if there is a point to be made here. Biff

15. otnot

otnot Active Member

What I meant Biff is that when I smoke the target I never see the barrel but for some reason when I miss my eyes revert back to the bead?????????????? I couldn't tell you if I was behind,below or in front or above the target.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can't see much clearly after I miss because of the tears in my eyes. I often have to carry a towel on my shooting belt.

Pat Ireland

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

A hole in the sky!

Curt

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Usually behind and frequently, over and behind. Then I can see "frustration" and self inflicted mental punishment for being stupid.

Charlie

19. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I see the need to change something and get back on the targets. Last shoot I was at I missed one per round and then I missed two in the fifth round. Pissed me off and I began putting more effort into it. Ran the next 75 except for a bad look-see at one slight angle.

I'm seeing this: My mind tends to be a lazy dog and only does as much as it has to in order to break targets. If it has to work at it, then it overloads the process once in a while and doesn't let the eyes take the slight angles. Back down to lazy and it misses the wide angles. Gotta be somewhere in between.

Regards, Joe

20. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

I have no idea why, but when I miss a target I focus on the wad flying away. I don't do this on purpose as I never see the wad when I break the target.

I honestly think that is my mind focusing on the "piece" that it hopes the wad is. Like constantly looking for something irregular about the rock and the wad flies in so my eyes jump to it.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.