1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you say to shooter w/auto throwing shells?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by SL900LOADER, Jun 3, 2013.

1. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

I have been shooting for 6 years, i would like to know what you guys do when someone with an autoloader is throwing shells at your left side when on the line, im asking because i want to know what is the general consensus.

I dont have a lot of money, my gun may not be a krieghoff, but ive kept it clean of nicks and dents, i had a guy shooting next to me that was throwing them so hard i had to actually stand back while he shot, not so good for keeping the rhythm of the game!

the last person who did this i very politely asked them about getting a shell catcher, he said yeah i used to have one, at the club i like to be polite, and have a nice sunday, but i might not be so nice with a new nick in my stock.

im thinking maybe stop and say no,no, move to my spot and ill move to your left and let some other poor slob deal with it?

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

get a heavy rubber band and if the guy doesn't have a shell catcher give him the rubber band to use. You put it on about half way across the breach opening and in front of the action lever. It works well.

If he refuses then walk off the line and shoot the next round or make him stand to your right.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In my case I run the club and would ask them to go inside and get a loaner catcher or use a rubber band. If that does not work I would ask them to sit out or leave. If I am at another club, I move away from the person or sit out. It usually is a person who shoots little trap as in a hunter who is just warming up. We get them every year at hunting season. We also experience it with youth who are on starter guns

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm with Brown and Cuban, I save the big rubber bands that come on broccoli and asparagus and keep them in my shell bag. Most new shooters don't think about their hulls flying and appreciate the advice. Older shooters should know better.

Wayne

5. APrice

APrice Active Member

Let them shoot by themselves.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

7-1/2's or 8's??

Curt

7. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

There is a rule, at least in the PITA book, that limits how far an auto may throw a shell and I believe it's nine feet. In that case it would land near the feet of the adjacent shooter, and that's still too far in my mind. Someone should check the ATA rules for the same type of rule. I'll double-check the PITA book the first chance I get.

Larry

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Pick up the shucked hulls, and throw them back at them right before they mount the gun, and say, do we understand? LOL

Seriously though, like previously stated, usually it is someone that is just starting, or trying the sport out. I just leave my gun on the opposite side, protected from the hulls until it flies by me, then mount the gun. I did however have a left handed shooter with an auto on my right one time, and it was very distracting to my routine. Right about when I would normally be putting a shell into my open breech gun, resting on my toe piece, the hull would come zooming in.

9. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

OK, PITA rules, under "Guns and Loads" says no ejected shells shall be thrown further than eight (8) feet. That should cover any circumstance where shells are the adjacent shooter or his gun. Send him away for a rubber band.

Larry

10. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Say "Thanks, I need a reminder of when it is my turn to shoot!"

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I catch the hulls and put them in my bag, good hand and eye exercise.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Squad him with me. Shell flinging autos don't bother me. My son's auto was a nasty shell flinger, and no deflector was made for the gun (LT-20) so I had him squad to my left. Myself, some of my guns dump the empties at your feet, while others get the snap on shell catcher treatment.

13. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I shot an auto at doubles for years. I was considerate of my fellow shooters and had a deflector install that threw the shell forward and down. Consideration is a concept lost to many in todays society.

14. Lyle

Lyle Member

And we wonder why the number of trapshooters is dwindling? Have you guys ever stopped to consider that these "hunter types" might become ATA seasoned shooters someday? I went to the Boise Gun Club turkey shoot one year and there were shooters EVERYWHERE! I don't see many of these folks at a registered tournament though. I know there are many reasons why, but one reason is how the "regulars" treat one of these "hunters" when they bring in an autoloader.

Some trapshooters are snobby. I was shooting an autoloader with a deflector and a shell catcher on it and was at Sage HIll (Golden West Grand) on the practice trap and some guy tells me that they ought to disqualify me for shooting an autoloader........I looked at the man dressed in his tweed atire and told him about the deflector and the shell catcher and then, finally, to mind his own business. He continued and I reminded him that sometimes your bank account doesn't come first and the laws of physics do. He said, what are you talking about. I said, what I am trying to say is that I asked you to mind your own business and have told you I have a deflector and a shell catcher and that doesn't seem to be working. So, all that is left is that I am going to kick your ass if you don't mind your own business. He understood that.

Lyle

15. peterson81

peterson81 TS Member

Lyle, I get your drift and like your style.

16. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

As a scorer I usually have a rubber band available and I take care of the problem without the shooter to the right having to say something. I just tell him this is to avoid you having to pick up your shells and the shooter to your right doesn't get destracted. No one has ever complained about me doing this. BT100dc

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    LOL @ Lyle, right on! Inkballed a Fudd!

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Put him in touch with Tron and have him put the little bead in,,,,,,worked on my 391's........

19. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

If there remington sts's and brand new their mind now , saves me the 5 cents and shipping lol