1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Pay Reloading?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PhantomTrapp, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhantomTrapp

PhantomTrapp TS Member

Alright well with lead kind of coming down and stabilizing I was thinking about starting up reloading. However I still get a good deal on shells, I pay around $47-$50 a flat. So I was wondering what you guys who reload pay per box/flat so I can see if it's worth it. Thanks a lot,
    -Phantom

2. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Well, I just bought 5 tons of lead (shared with other folks). And if I buy the rest of the components right...I can reload for $3.45 a box, Or $1.25 a box cheaper than you can buy for.

I can load 23 boxes in an hour, if I'm hustling. So I guess I 'make' about $25 an hour doing it.

but I'd do it if it was break even. I just enjoy it...

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At the last order I got on supply june 21st cost calculator tells me 4.14per box. gun clubs at the best on sale price are 57.50 with tax plus a 12mile round trip. so 4.14 vs 5.75 or 6.99 for STS. Plus I Drive by the club to and from work, can pic up supply when ever I go to shoot. I only reload on days I would normally shoot if it is raining. I like to reload and to save 16.00 on a rainy day well thats 16.00 more for targets, coffee and or lunch at the club.
    I loaded up 3 cases last run. thats 48 bucks. paid for gas to and from the state shoot.

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

And, you must decide if you want to compare your reloads to the cheapest quality product produced or the PREMIUM championship quality product. I prefer to think I'm reloading premium championship quality ammunition.......So, I feel I'm saving $3.00 a box by reloading... give or take.

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan

5. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I actually don't know how much it's costing or saving me. I just love to reload and will continue to do so regardless. I feel I'm getting a better product and have the option to change it up when I feel like it and try new loads. Have fun. Dave T.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Throughout this roller coaster ride of shell prices my reloads have always been cheaper than factory shells. If I compare my reloads to premium shells, which is a fair comparison, they have always been much cheaper. On top of that I always have the ability to customize my shells to my specific desires in a shell for the shooting of that day, shells I can't find at any price.

7. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

$3.79 a box.

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Still churning them out at only $1.17 a box. Still working through many, many, many pounds of Rex II purchased at $199 a 25# drum loading 18.5 Gr, CB1118 wads at $55 a case of 5000, Cheddites at $69/5000 STS Hulls bought for a penny each at the Grand in Vandalia that can be loaded 10 times each easy and shot made myself out of lead costing me nothing due to trade outs for ingots for shot. The shot maker is paid for already. Obviously my time is not factored into this equation nor wear and tear on the loader etc. Just raw material costs. Making your own shot really helps with the cost per box. Cost goes up a nickel a box once the Cheddites run out and I have to switch to Wolf's bought at $74.50.

Jeff

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

To much, but still $3.00 cheaper than AA's or STS's at Wally World.

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I just started loading my own shot and it's already saving me a bunch of money. Got about 5,000 free wads from a guy I shoot with and I'm loading with those, plus I have all the free hulls I want as I have a friend that shoots factory Gun Clubs and doesn't reload. I did the calculations and I'm loading at about $2.60 a box. Pretty cheap I'd say. Josh

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Jolly: That's really, really cheap. WOW! How about I give you and extra $1.00 per box and you send some to me?

12. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

HA! I have trouble keeping enough around for just me, would be an even bigger pain to reload twice as much. Maybe if you were close I could sell you shot...but thats as good as I can do...LOL. Josh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.