1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you like about your PFS stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I have heard some folks say they didn't like theirs because of the movement under recoil. Am considering getting a PFS stock for my MX8, not for recoil reduction, but for the range of adjustment that can be had. I would probably set it up for the firmest recoil setting so it wouldn't have much movement. Again, I'm primarily interested in the adjustability.

How do you like your PFS and why?

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

all the above,if you want fit and can not seem to get it from a wooden stock,next thing to sliced bread

3. xxstr8jacketxx

xxstr8jacketxx TS Member

I love everything about it :) I can adjust the LOP from winter to summer.I can shoot a flat of nitros and never feel it.the price is high but il never buy a gun unless I can put a PFS on it :)

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think it's great for many of the same reasons. I can put as much recoil reduction as I want or none at all. I can add weight to it if I feel the need and I do.

I went to it when told by Dr. that I had neck disk problems.

There is also an excellent resale market.

Don

5. shelly

shelly TS Member

I like everything about my PFS stock- recoil reduction, adjustability- it's got it all. It's cute too, kinda like a Basset Hound- OK, it's an acquired beauty.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had PFS and really liked it a lot, except the pitch was wrong so it cost me additional money to make that right, plus replace the pad ... Then it wouldn't let the gun reset for shooting doubles so that cost me more money because I had to take it to the gunsmith and have him make the gun work with the PFS on it ... I just paid what ever it took to make it the way I wanted it and then I sold the gun that had it on it and the buyer wanted the PFS with the gun because I paid extra to have it all set up and working right ... I was going to offer Vern Brown $900.00 for a new one but I didn't figure he would take it so I am shooting with the Perazzi upgraded wood on it ... I suppose if I could get one for a really cheap price in like new condition, just the way I want it, I would probably buy it but until then I'll just shoot this gun the way Perazzi made it to be shot ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Have been shooting one for two weeks (borrowed) just ordered a bump buster from Ken Rucker my buddy can have his "pogo stick" back soon!

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Tractor boy, if you are not going utilize the recoil reduction system why spend $1200 on a p f s? Just put an adj comb and butt on your nice wood stock ??? For half the cost

9. Gil

Gil Member

Tractor boy, I had a problem shooting nitros with headaches. I went to a PFS stock for recoil adsorption. It worked as I could shoot nitros for 16yds if I wanted to. The total adjustablility was also a factor. I bought a second PFS for doubles and have been experimenting with just how much recoil I want adsorbed on the first shot. I started out with too much adsorption and movement and have now homed in on just about the same as my single shot gun. Question for you, how many stocks can you find that will let you make all of these adjustments with a simple set of tools. I am no mechanic and only work by trial and error.PFS works for me and I believe it will for you also. George Miller

10. yansica1

yansica1 Member

I can tell you what I don`t like, there is too much exposed metal and some of the various allen key, screws etc, don`t stay put for more than a few weeks at a time so you`re often re-tighteneing things but otherwise very happy.

11. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

I got mine for adjustably because I'm left handed. Recoil wasn't a factor.I shoot trap, sporting and flyer's with it. I lost 28 lbs. in the last eight months and it was so easy to accommodate the change.I like the way it looks. It's easy to find on the rack.Ken

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 4 PFS stocks. Two on my wifes Beretta. She is short and if I cut the stock it would be a hard sell. With the PFS it did all the ajustments need to fit her right. She shoot the gun very will and is a A class trap shooter.
    She has one on her sporting clays gun and again it made her a better shooter.
    So I had to try it out. I have it on my Summit Guerini and with all the ajustments you can get it just right. Cast, drop, comb hight, LOP and recoil if needed.
    It made a different that I put one on my Guerini Magnus sporting and shot the better then before. Yes it is worth it. Remember if you don't like it you can sell it with no problems.
    Hear a photo of me PFS witha wood dip color.

[​IMG]

13. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

To: Kraiza
    Who did your dip and what is the name of the pattern.
    Thanks,
    Mark S

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

FET Guns and componants does the dipping right here in Phx ... Frank (602) 708-0982 ... I believe he also does the pieces for PFS (Vern Brown) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Happy1

Happy1 TS Member

I LOVE my PFS! After a very serious accident that literally snapped my right arm in half and blew out my right shoulder, I could not have come back to shooting without it. I can shoot any load all day long pain free and can adjust my LOP to accommodate the many layers we have to wear up here in the northeast in the winter months. The service is outstanding as well. Any time I've had a question, Vern's been very quick to get back to me with a very comprehensive answer. As for things loosening, I've not had that problem at all. There is a break in period for the stock bolt wherein you do have to re-tighten that after the first few hundred rounds but that's about it.

I will say you do have to get used to the recoil reduction. Some people have a hard time with that and I don't they think give it enough time. Initially, I held the gun so tight, I wasn't letting the PFS operate properly. Once I let the stock do it's job and found the right balance between recoil reduction and holding the gun tight enough, it was bliss.

16. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

I'm with Happy after a hard landing and 3 ops could not shoot without it.

In 4 years has not loosen up

jpark

17. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

kraiza said "Hear a photo of me PFS witha wood dip color."

Wow, Kraiza, that wood dip really looks nice! I have never liked the looks of a PFS stock, but I think it was due to the ugly black plastic on it. You have turned yours into a very nice looking device.

What is the cost to get one wood dipped?

18. laura!

laura! Member

The way it looks! LOL. It IS easy to find, I've never accidently walked out on the line with someone else's gun and you don't have to worry about it getting all banged up. The adjustability is wonderful. Like WPT, I too had to add a wedge for pitch (I think it cost $12), but I've never had an issue with doubles. I also bought the ultimate fit comb, which is expensive and I wish Vern would offer you the choice of whichever comb you would prefer, even if he had to charge a little more for the UFC. Perhaps if you ask him he will?

The adjustability is everything you could want, as is the recoil system. Vern is great and always reachable (unless he's out on the line) and always calls back.

Here's what I don't like. A lot of the screws are aluminum and can easily strip. I had one PFS that had a locking nut on top of the nut you turn to adjust recoil - took me forever to figure that out (it is only mentioned in the trouble shooting section). My other PFS did not have a locking nut and I guessed (incorrectly) that it did because I could not get it tighten down more and it should have. Now I have a PFS to send back for expensive repair because all the ring thingies are messed up. I bought both brand new so you'd think they would be the same. In all fairness however, the one with the locking nut I bought directly from Vern and the other I bought from a vendor at the Grand. It is possible the vendor took the locking nut out and neglected to tell me.

19. laura!

laura! Member

The way it looks! LOL. It IS easy to find, I've never accidently walked out on the line with someone else's gun and you don't have to worry about it getting all banged up. The adjustability is wonderful. Like WPT, I too had to add a wedge for pitch (I think it cost $12), but I've never had an issue with doubles. I also bought the ultimate fit comb, which is expensive and I wish Vern would offer you the choice of whichever comb you would prefer, even if he had to charge a little more for the UFC. Perhaps if you ask him he will?

The adjustability is everything you could want, as is the recoil system. Vern is great and always reachable (unless he's out on the line) and always calls back.

Here's what I don't like. A lot of the screws are aluminum and can easily strip. I had one PFS that had a locking nut on top of the nut you turn to adjust recoil - took me forever to figure that out (it is only mentioned in the trouble shooting section). My other PFS did not have a locking nut and I guessed (incorrectly) that it did because I could not get it tighten down more and it should have. Now I have a PFS to send back for expensive repair because all the ring thingies are messed up. I bought both brand new so you'd think they would be the same. In all fairness however, the one with the locking nut I bought directly from Vern and the other I bought from a vendor at the Grand. It is possible the vendor took the locking nut out and neglected to tell me.

20. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

[​IMG]

Stocker John made my wood grips. The recoil reduction was my reason for going to the PFS, but I constantly get remarks about the beautiful wood on the "robo" stock.

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.