1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys use for for handicap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I want to try handicap this weekend. I will be at the 20.

For 16 yards is use:

1200 fps --- 1 1/8oz --- #7.5 or 8 shot(Remington GC loads) with a MOD or IM choke

I have heard for handicap it's better to use 7.5 cause the pellets are heavier and the 7.5 pattern stays tighter longer than 8's; but I have also been told going from the 16-20 doesn't change anything.

I also have a full choke too that I can use too.

What do you guys think?

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

I want to try handicap this weekend. I will be at the 20.

For 16 yards is use:

1200 fps --- 1 1/8oz --- #7.5 or 8 shot(Remington GC loads) with a MOD or IM choke

I have heard for handicap it's better to use 7.5 cause the pellets are heavier and the 7.5 pattern stays tighter longer than 8's; but I have also been told going from the 16-20 doesn't change anything.

I also have a full choke too that I can use too.

What do you guys think?

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

20 is no different than the 16. Stick with what's working up front.

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

20 is no different than the 16. Stick with what's working up front.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Do what mark said.

6. BigM-Perazzi

Do what mark said.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Do what Mark and BMP said.

Wayne

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Do what Mark and BMP said.

Wayne

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Change nothing and do what everyone else has said. I'd use the IM choke, but either will work.

ss

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Change nothing and do what everyone else has said. I'd use the IM choke, but either will work.

ss

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I always felt 20 was easier than 16. Your angles don't seem as severe and a decent 16 yard load still works. Heck, some people claim they use light 8s on the 27 yard line. The 23-24 yard line is where I realized I needed a change. Let us know what you find out. Don't try to draw a conclusion from a single round.

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I always felt 20 was easier than 16. Your angles don't seem as severe and a decent 16 yard load still works. Heck, some people claim they use light 8s on the 27 yard line. The 23-24 yard line is where I realized I needed a change. Let us know what you find out. Don't try to draw a conclusion from a single round.

13. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks for all the responses.

I'll go IM with the 7.5's.

I'm hoping to shoot handicap cause I'm going to a very small shoot at a club where I'm not a member. The guy who runs the events said there is usually a guy who wants to shoot handicap and my friend will do it so we have 3 at least.

It's tough for me to do handicap practice cause I need a private field b/c I only have the public ranges and there either aren't enough pullers around or not enough trap fields available

14. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks for all the responses.

I'll go IM with the 7.5's.

I'm hoping to shoot handicap cause I'm going to a very small shoot at a club where I'm not a member. The guy who runs the events said there is usually a guy who wants to shoot handicap and my friend will do it so we have 3 at least.

It's tough for me to do handicap practice cause I need a private field b/c I only have the public ranges and there either aren't enough pullers around or not enough trap fields available

15. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

=shot handicap (200 rds from the 20) last weekend for the first time. I used the same IMod I use at 16, because it's the most open choke I have for that gun. Shot STS 3 dram, 1 1/8, 71/2's. My performance ranged from fair to poor, but choke and ammo worked just fine.

16. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

=shot handicap (200 rds from the 20) last weekend for the first time. I used the same IMod I use at 16, because it's the most open choke I have for that gun. Shot STS 3 dram, 1 1/8, 71/2's. My performance ranged from fair to poor, but choke and ammo worked just fine.

17. BigM-Perazzi

Early. At. 20 I'd suggest 2 3/4 dram shells...

18. BigM-Perazzi

Early. At. 20 I'd suggest 2 3/4 dram shells...

19. open choke

open choke TS Member

Big M,

I hate 2 3/4 dram for 16 yards so I guess 20 will be worse; for some reason 3 dram I break more targets and the breaks are usually shattered

I even went to the extent of having both 2 3/4 & 3 dram I shot 50 each and my scores were better with the 3 dram.

Here is the interesting part cause I know some of you will say it's all in my head. So what I did was have a friend give me the boxes with the tops ripped off and I didn't read the stamping on the shells at all and had no idea which shells I was using until the 100 targets were already shot at.

20. open choke

open choke TS Member

Big M,

I hate 2 3/4 dram for 16 yards so I guess 20 will be worse; for some reason 3 dram I break more targets and the breaks are usually shattered

I even went to the extent of having both 2 3/4 & 3 dram I shot 50 each and my scores were better with the 3 dram.

Here is the interesting part cause I know some of you will say it's all in my head. So what I did was have a friend give me the boxes with the tops ripped off and I didn't read the stamping on the shells at all and had no idea which shells I was using until the 100 targets were already shot at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.