1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OUT OF A NEW TRAP GUN?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    In the near future I will be retiring. I plan to purchase a new trap gun. What do you expect to get out of a new trap gun? What gun companies are shooter friendly, guarantee their guns, and are more than willing to offer you great service.

Recently a friend of mine purchased a new car. During the negotiation process the salesman offered services that won him over to purchase from that dealership. Once he came back for these services, the salesman had select memory loss. So what do you expect from a new trap gun, the company, warranty, etc?
    Steve Balistreri

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Learned a while ago that if it's not in writing, it didn't happen. Sad that it has to be this way, but been burned too many times on someone's word.

Back on topic, I expect the thing to work and not break. I also expect to get it fixed QUICKLY if it does happen to break. Warranty is another items that's close to useless.

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Other than how the gun feels in you hand, Trap guns needs to be stronger than anything else, because we shoot more heavy loads. Choose a good design is the most important thing.

Good design means simple/less parts, strong lock up between receiver and barrel, and easy service.

Is it easy to service? Do you need to send it in for service, or most likely you can replace parts by yourself?

If the gun was designed for easy self service, you almost don't have to worry about turn around time and how the mfg. is treating you.

4. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Buy from someone you know and trust. Buy the brand that fits you best.Don't skimp on price-get the best one the first time-you'll never go wrong that way.Perry

5. Kyle Spieles

Kyle Spieles Member

One thing that I have learned over time in buying guns is that the more you pay, the more you get which is not always true in life but it is in firearms, at least so far for me. Do you currently shoot trap? What guns do you already have? What kind of price range are you looking to spend?

6. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

There are lots of guns out there to chose from. Why because people have lots of reasons to buy and lots of opinions on the same. Buy what you like and the best you can afford. I would just stay with the tried and true brands. You will probably change after shooting for a while. So resale could be of more importance than anything else on your first gun. I went through more than a dozen guns before settling on Perazzi. I now have a TMX and MT6 and looking to get some kind of MX. Tom

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Buy the one that fits you and feels right to you and don't worry about the rest. Any good one will outlive all of us.

Neil

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Perhaps more important is what does a new trap gun expect out of you?

Pat Ireland

9. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Steve, Living where you do, Racine would be very handy to have your gun serviced if needed. I have got nothing but excellent service from them. You have shot long enough to know what you want, so I would see if they have anything that sparks ya! Many good deals on like new high end guns now, you might consider that option. Mike

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Steve,

You have been shooting trap for over 30 years. Tell us which guns you would recommend and why? I think you may know the answer to your question.

I am opinionated, and my lack of experience can be beneficial at times. My present gun was purchased because it was close to fitting me, "feels" good, and is used by the "big dogs". I needed (wanted?) a gun with an adjustable POI. Reliability and "good" mechanical release triggers were also important. A combo is needed to shoot all events and minimize stock fitting and trigger issues.

My concern with reliability precludes any "new" gun like the CG's and Blazer's as they are unproven. Too few of them have gone over 250k rounds. How "good" their warranties are is of little consequence as I hope to rarely make use of same; plus, a broken gun (with an excellent warranty) at a major shoot is useless. The ~$200 yearly service on a quality gun is a reasonable expense for a gun that will shoot 15-20k rounds a year.

Stock and engraving are not factors for me. "Pretty" is more important when considering female companionship than a tool to break birds. I still like a pretty gun but it is way down on my list of "must haves" in the purchase decision.

BTW, a new trap gun is a fine way to celebrate your retirement. Good luck with both!

Don Verna

11. senior smoke

Neil and Pat:
    I found both your answers interesting.
    Steve

Quick1: If I was staying in the Milwaukee area Kolar is indeed near buy. As soon as my house sells I am moving to Arizona.
    Steve

Don Verna:
    For most of my shooting career I have always used a pump gun, 31's, model 12's, and mostly 870's. I want a single barrel break open or a combo set. To be honest, I don't think I will be able to find a new break open gun as reliable as the above mentioned pump guns. So reliability is a concern. I am as cheap as they come, but my wife wants to get me a real nice gun for retirement,and price in this particular instance should not be a problem. I would need left hand wood. If I need adjustments on the gun, and I usually do, I want people to deal with that are honest and nice to deal with, and can do the work within a few weeks rather than months. I don't want choke tubes, as I am the type of person who would be changing tubes on the line. Adjustable stock is desirable. I don't want an adjustable rib as I would be messing around with it constantly. I want a gun that will increase in value over the years if taken good care of. I want a gun that shoots where I look. Am I asking to much?
    Steve

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If I were in your shoes, I would give serious thought to buying from Bob Schultz. He supprts this forum, he has excellent customer service and I have never heard a bad word about him. He also handles quality guns

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I always thought that they should hit EVERY target I called for, but after spending (losing)) a lot of money on SBTs-- O&Us--semi-autos--etc. without finding that magic gun I finally decided it wasn't the gun, it was the nut behind the butt. So I just went back to 1st love, so now I'm still shooting the one that brung me--my mod 31 TC been shooting her for 35to 40 yrs. now. LOL Ross

PS yes I do have a couple safe queens that take out & play with occasionally, but when that # of bacon is on the line, well you know..

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Steve,

I cannot think of any new trap gun that has a chance of appreciating. Those days are gone. You may lose nothing or little with a used gun.

I bought mine used from a local dealer (Great Lakes Sporting in MI) and I would buy from him again. I got a good deal and I was treated well.

Kolar makes a great gun but it did not fit me. They are high end and have "simple" triggers and simple is good. They are reported to do decent stock fitting.

The popular high end guns will have adjustable ribs. Do not fear them. They are a great addition.

Choke tubes are a none issue. Just buy the choke you want and no others. That way you cannot be tempted. I have tubes and have not changed them in over a year. K4 in the Unsingle and not sure what is in the O/U (after shooting a 98 and 97 in doubles at the 2009 Grand I figured whatever was screwed in was OK).

I believe any gun that shoots straight (at least centered left to right) can be made to shoot where you look. Guns that offer ribs that will bend the barrel, hangers to change the spacing between O/U barrels, and adjustable combs and butt plates will get your there. You also need a stock that fits you.

I am not sure why you think a pump is more reliable. They are simple enough for a kitchen table "gunsmith" to work on but that does not make them reliable.

Don Verna

15. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Steve: I would think that the main thing you would be looking for in a new tarp gun is,,,,, One that breaks every target you shoot at?

I know that's what I'm looking for in my next gun.

just my .02

Randy

16. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Ditto about Bob Shultz. I personally have purchased 2 combo's from him and he is as good as it gets.
    Boy do I like my new Blaser!

17. senior smoke

I pattern guns extensively, trust me when I say few guns shoot where you look, and few I've seen have straight barrels. Now the guns I am talking about are mostly 870's and 1100's. Don't know about high end gun barrels?
    Steve

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Lots of little used Ljutics out there for what I think are bargain prices.

Probably take a little time to get used to.

Break one...., if you can.

Regards....Gerald

19. soundaround

soundaround Member

seniorsmoke...trust what you shoot. Trust also the biggest names in guns. Do not trust anything else. This from a still loving Perazzi owner that has been wooed and is now in love with a particularly special K80.

Words are words, and cannot replace what you see and feel when shooting the right gun for you. Buy the one you can handle and shoot the best...words are words.

Might this suggest looking for a used gun that you can trust not only the owner and pedigree, but also HOW it performs for you after a few hundred rounds?

If money is an object these thoughts are especially true...

20. JRW

JRW Member

Steve if you are moving to AZ. Any gun you buy you probably will need to ship it for any major service. I would think you would at least look at Kolar. Jerry in MI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.