1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do with your gunpowder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by laura!, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

The people who sold us our gun safe said that we shouldn't store gunpowder in it because in the event of a fire the safe would become a bomb if it had gunpowder in it. The safe is supposed to be fireproof, but they said if the temperatures got high enough the powder could still ignite. Like most reloaders I may have up to 4 different 8lb kegs of powder at any given time. How do you store yours?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I just store my smokeless powder in my loading shed (separate from the house)

If that little room does go up it will be a pretty show but not much of a loss.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Same as above---seperate room from house---I Don't think ins will pay if left in the house----I don't want it to go bang in the house---SJB---

4. laura!

laura! Member

Do you worry about humidity in your shed?

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

SJB, C'mon the bulk powder doesn't go "bang" when it burns. It needs to be contained as in the chamber. The lead shot is the path of least resistance.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good question about humidity Laura, I live in the desert so usually the air is pretty dry but my shed is surrounded by lawn which gets watered regularly. When I first set up in the shed I did worry about moisture ruining my components but that just hasn't been a problem.

The one problem I do have with the shed is that it isn't heated and when I was keeping my loaded shotgun ammo in there during the winter, I was experiencing alot of squibs, especially with the Green Dot loads. Bringing that ammo into the house for a day or so before using it solved the squib problem.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I don't think my powder will go bang but I keep all my reloaded shells there and
    I think they will go bang---bang---bang---I don't keep any heat there all winter except when I go out to reload---I live in the most humid part of the country and never had any problems at all for many yrs---Keep the KEG closed and not to worry--My reloaded shells go bang all winter also--can't remember the last squib---gL---SJB---

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Laura, I too have pondered the same question as you. First off keep the powder in the plastic bottle it came in. These bottles are designed so that the powder will not be destructive if it goes off. I also keep mine in my house to not only help with the humidity but I also find I have no problem with static cling that way as well. You are suppose to be able to store up to 25 pounds of powder in your house according to some of the shooters on this site. How true it is I would hate to put to the test. Just keep it in the spare room well away from heat or sparks and Don't worry, Be Happy!!! Break-em all. Jeff

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

In the basement in a wooden box.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Mine lives in a wood packing crate in the basement as well. Humidity is not an issue since the 8# jugs are air tight. If a fire gets to it, the jugs will melt and the powder will simply burn... no explosion and probably no significant contribution to the rest of the blaze.

MK

11. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Use an old, non-working refrigerator. The magnetic door seal acts as the "weak side" to vent if the powder burns. It is an insulated storage box, and put a few desiccant packs inside for moisture control. I use a separate refrigerator to store primers and loaded ammo.

12. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

You aint gonna believe this!!! I have as we speak 57 one pound cans of black powder on a header in my basement that is directly under my wife's bed! Before you even think it, we have been together 43 years and she does not have any competition. Best person I have ever met. Only consolation is that she goes, we go together.

13. psfive

psfive Member

wolfram

Where in the desert do you live that it gets cold enough to get squib loads? We shoot in 20 - 25 degrees and never have a problem. I load Clays and Claydot. All my componets are in the basement of the house where I load. Paul in Nebraska.

14. notarget

notarget TS Member

The NFPA Code says 20 lbs. of smokeless may be stored in original containers in residences. Up to 50 lbs. may be stored if in a wooden cabinet or box having walls of 1 inch nominal thickness. I don't know about black powder but I seem to remember hearing long ago that storage in residences should be limited to 5 lbs.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'm a SR ---What is NFPA?---SJB---

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Under my work bench in the factory containers. I run a
    dehumidifer during the summer months.

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

NFPA = National Fire Protection Assoc.

As stated above - copy & paste

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

If you notice the storage rules and regs relate to COMMERCIAL storage of powder - it says nothing of home/personal storage...

Use common sense.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"If you notice the storage rules and regs relate to COMMERCIAL storage of powder - it says nothing of home/personal storage..."</i></blockquote>

Sorry HSLDS... apparently you didn't read your own resource carefully.

On the last page both commercial AND residential storage is addressed. Restrictions regarding residential / private transportation / storage... <center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </center>

MK

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't store powder or ammo in a safe! Can't rely on a safe to actually be "fireproof" in the event of a fire. A lot depends on how long the fire lasts and how hot it burns.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Original containers, inside a lockable metal cabinet under what used to be a School TV cart.

somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 to 100 lbs of powder depending on the time of year, etc.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.