1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do with wind?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mtimney, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Do you change how you shoot when it's windy?

Do you shoot faster?
    Do you open your choke a little?
    Do you hold differently on the house?

I'm curious to see if there are any universal ways of handling wind.
    Mark

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Flying kites works very well. HMB

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Watch everyone's targets closely and concentrate extra hard on mine. If the wind is driving them down I hold a lower gun. Other than that everything is the same.

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I am with likes-to-shoot on that

5. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

One of the best trainers for a windy day is the wobble trap. We shoot it at least once a week to keep our skills up for windy days. Most shooters have never shot on a wobble but it gives you the skill you need for a windy day.

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

No, No, Call management and demand that they raise or lower the targets !!!!!

And then reset every 10 or 15 mins. as the wind changes !!!!

I just could not help myself....

7. Donm

Donm Active Member

Play golf.

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Man, I was afraid to open this thread---- glad to see it is about shooting trap targets in windy conditions. I seem to recall a thread on here a year or so back discussing proper trap line etiquette of breaking wind.......as you call for the target, as you shoot or as the shooter to the left shoots, et cetera, ........all important questions to ponder and that thread laid it all out for the casual reader.

9. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

My first thought was hope no one hears me break it!

until this summer I never gave the wind credit for taking a bird away from me.

then one a day in a beutiful canyon setting, the wind swirled and caused targets to move 10 to 20 feet between the trigger let off and the recoil.

I have found that the MORE agressive I get or the earlier I can shoot the less the wind will get to the bird.

It looks like the truth here is that day in the canyon, the junior shooters ruled the day, when many AA shoters dropped way down

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I like wind. It cools you off and messes with the other shooters minds.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Watch Jimmy Heller or Dan Bonillas shoot in the wind. See if you can figure out why and how they can still shoot so well in the wind.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Most of the current crop of ATA shooters have never seen this done before. An old time practice, before it was outlawed, prior to beginning an event fire a shot out into the field of target debris. Even then, most doing that didn't know why except the top shots were doing it so it must help? It wasn't to get the feel of the gun prior to the start either. It was to see how much wind drift your shot pattern has at your target breaking distance!

If you don't know how winds of various speeds affect the shot patterns or the amount of drift, you won't break decent scores in very windy conditions! I'm not speaking of breezy conditions here but hard blowing winds.

There's only one way to learn that and that's to pattern your pet loads in various wind velocities at target breaking distances.

The top shooters doing this practice did it at every shoot even when the winds were calm but it was during very windy conditions where this "reminder" paid big dividends!! Knowing what's going on helps a lot in todays shooting also in very windy conditions!! This year, most of what few AA points I got were on just such a day in handicap snagging the big dogs 27 buckle.

Hap

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

What do I do with wind??? If there are no ladies present I just let it blow !

14. bigben

bigben Active Member

Shooting in the wind, you have no control over
    it, but as shooter of excellence, you will notice that the wind infuences shooters more than the wind effects targets, there are exceptions, but overall, if your head is on the stock, or eyes are on the rock, they will break! incinerate em!

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Even if ladies ARE present..I just let'er rip....better out than in grampy used to say

16. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Britt Robinson had a story about shooting his gun just like you described Hap, just to see wind drift. Britt says to be good in the wind you must shoot and learn to shoot in the wind, not avoid it. In Tahoka Texas, they have a lot of wind, says Britt!
    Betty and I were in Vernal last June, was good weather 1st two days, 3rd day here comes the wind, a few people pulled out of caps. I told Betty, "today I have a chance, as in Conrad Mondamtana, we shoot in the wind, it blows a little here on the east front". Keep in mind lots of All Americans there. I ended up with a 95/100 and got Mid yardage caps (25.5)that day, Phil Kiner and Sharred Oaks had 97's and I was ahead of a few GREAT Shooters that day, Stu and Big Leo. Not many days you can edge ahead of All Americans. But the wind that day, made me focus and concentrate a lot harder, stay with the bird. Actually I blew it though, only down 2 birds going in the last trap, 98/100 would have been high, would of, should of, could of. Oh well. Scott

17. Hap MecTweaks

Good job Scott and congratulations guy!!

Hap

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Come to Florida & shoot in the afternoon, or go to Redlands & shoot as the Santa Ana's are blowing--the best wind practice out there---1 1/8 of 71/2s pushed to the max speed with a choke that patters for whatever yardage you're at.

Phil Berkowitz

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I would think wind would affect the target flight more than how the shot flies around.

One thing I have noticed is that a quick shooter usually does better in the wind. And a quick shooter is usually a more advanced shooter.

20. Hap MecTweaks

likes-to-shoot, a hard blowing wind will eventually drift the target farther! But not at the spot where a normal shot is taken at it, the wind moves the pattern more at that distance. Pattern your gun in hard blowing cross winds and see for yourself!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.