1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when the wheels fall off?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BMC, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Member

I think it is inevitable that at some point in trapshooting, the wheels are gonna fall off and a long agonizing train wreck follows. My question is what are some of the things that you guys do when you find yourself in a slump? I'm in the middle of a bad train wreck and looking for some input to digest on what others do/have done to help solve the problem and right the course. FWIW, I haven't really changed anything..same loads, same guns, same shoes, same glasses, same ranges..etc. This really sucks and I don't have a damn clue what in the world happened. But I am eager to solve the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. joshif

joshif TS Member

It's rarely the equipment. I just go back to the basics and also make sure I LOOK at the targets.It's very hard to do when you're in the hole. I come out of the hole in a thousand targets or sometimes more. Remember, it took a while to dig the hole you're in and it will probably take longer to climb out. Don't look for the magic spell to wake up in 5 or 10 shots and ZAP, you're on top again. I won't happen. Be patient and try my suggestion.Good luck.

3. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Taking a couple of weeks off helps me out. I think I get a bit burned out so to speak and that seems to help me get back on track.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Brian, I recall you like "sight" hunting big bass? Clays need to be sight hunted also. 27-M12 says look at your targets and he's right. You have to really want that next clay and look a hole thru it's leading edge! The easier the trap target angles, the easier is is to get lulled to sleep by them and we call it a slump. Good luck, it won't take you long to overcome this. Hap

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Shoot some skeet. (By some, I mean a maybe 10 rounds.) Honest. It will amaze you how much it helps. Jake

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have much experience with this question. I can very authoritatively tell you what I do. I am not so sure about what one should do.

On the line, when I hit a few bad posts, I change my mental attitude, mount my gun differently, look more at my front sight and all sorts of other things that make the problem worse. Between fields, I may change my comb height and/or length of pull. I may even change from #8 shot shells to #7.5 shot. After these changes, my problem becomes acute and I convince myself that i just can't shoot at my former level which was never that great.

Very rarely, I just forget about the past targets, stand in a relaxed position, mount my gun normally and look for the next target. This helps. I shot such a very poor score three weeks ago that I even went to the club on a Tuesday afternoon and shot some practice. That helped. It is quite probable that when I have another poor sub-event I will follow what I have done that makes things worse rather than what will get me over the temporary problem. I wish I were smarter.

Pat Ireland

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Stand on the mark however your feet land...put the gun up to your shoulder anyoldhow...ignore your hold point entirely...look out past the traphouse and call "PULL"...read the makers name on the target and pull the trigger (release if applicable)...you might just surprise yourself. Kind Regards-Graham.

9. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When the bottom falls out, I usually break out a target rifle and settle down on the bench and shoot groups for a bit. Suprisingly, it usually cures the ills. When you do go back, start with the basics and work your way back in.

Big Jack

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Go bowling ... Last year over 70,000,000 went bowling, all of them cannot be wrong ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. J. Ashley

J. Ashley TS Member

If you're not having vision problems, then (in any sport) it's always the same thing--you've gotten away from the basics. Hard focus on the target, weight forward, stock glued to your cheek.

12. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

My little trian wreck began with a bad foundation, set my feet wrong and it went done hill from there!

One day walking myself thru, a staion that had been bad for awhile, it dawned on me look at where my feet are, How on earth do expect to shoot this station like that! Unlearning the muscle memory from the wrong foot postion took a little longer, but got a little better results right from the change!

So start at the foundation, and take every little improvement as a positive!

Then I got an old book that tells me to do what I did, but also get a good coach to see if there is something you missed!

Al

13. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

BMC......Based on my experience and all that I have seen during some 50 years of shooting, a slump,so to speak, is a mental thing. Especially if your shooting is good,or has been, most of the time.Constant shooting can cause a shooter to get lazy, and, when that happens, he/she has forgotten to keep focused on the basics and make a real effort to implement them EACH and every time shooting is done. If a shooter doesn't do this, then he/she starts doing something the wrong way and that causes misses.....reconcentration is needed at that point, but the shooter must recognize this.....this takes reflection on how he/she is NOW shooting!

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

BMC, Have you derailed on one track or all three? You didn't mention if you were having problems with just one or all three events (assuming you shoot all three). Just wondering. Might make a difference as to your approach at solving the problem. Been there done that. Still trying to figure out why my HDC. is so inconsistent. Good Luck---Steve

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I quit until I get better.

jim brown

16. BMC

BMC Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. What I read from most of your comments, though they are each worded differently, is the mental aspects being probably the root cause/cure. I figured most of you guys have gone through this at one point or another and if you are still here bangin' away, you managed to solve the problem. I suspect it had a lot to do with along the lines of what Hipshot said in terms of "getting lazy". I noticed several months ago that when I would be in a run of just smokin' um, I'd find myself letting up on the mental reigns and eventually would end up hearing that "lost" word. I believe it eventually has led to having lost the mental focus to instinctively know what I'm supposed to do, while handicapping myself further by trying to make myself do it, but get split second side tracked in the process.

Steve, this was mainly in handicap and doubles. I haven't had much trouble with singles, only shot two 100 target singles events in the past month and both were my 96 average. However it has been caps and the pairs that have solidly been kicking my ass for the past six weeks or so. I went from shooting A/AA doubles scores to low D class scores in doubles. I still have to figure that one out. A friend pointed out that he believes he has noticed me "peaking" at the second target which could be enough to cause the losses, and I've probably turned that into a bad habit I'll have to work on and see if I can correct it.

The big bugga-boo has been in caps, probably because I've been shooting more caps lately. When I hit the 22 yard line it seems I can't find any kind of consistency like I had shooting closer, or when shooting at the 24-27 which is where I shoot in our club shoots. I usually average around a 92-94 on the 22, but lately I'm lucky to get an 85. I shot my worst score of a 79 yesterday which was the thrust for this initial post...thinking "oh no, its getting worse".
    However I did consider parking the guns for a spell, but being like Zara, I can't stand to let something like this beat me down. I loaded some new "test" caps loads that I had been wanting to try for a while, but just never got around to putting the recipe together. This had nothing to do with correcting a problem, but rather a test on a recipe a guy gave me that he uses in annie's and pot shoots. It actually a really light but fast load and I just wanted to feel how they shot in terms of recoil and how well they worked with my gun, etc. I went out today with only this in mind, try these new loads to see if I like them, nothing more......and of course to just keep it simple, see if I enjoy these loads. Actually shot a 96 from the 23. I guess just "shootin' targets" without the mind screw of shooting my average or getting a punch made things happen like they are supposed to. It definitely felt better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.