1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do, or what did you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have always felt that over all, trapshooters and people in the shooting sports are a very honest group of people. Over the years, once I found out what the occupation of a fellow shooter was I have usually purchased from them, or hired these same individuals for work that I needed done.

I believe when you see a person either at the gun club on a weekly basis, or see them at tournaments, your chances of getting ripped off is very minimal.

I am curious as what kind of work you fine people were in, past or present. No matter what a person's question is on this site, it get's answered and someone just happens to be in that line of work.

I have always suggested at my area gun club to comprise a list of what each shooter does for a living and produce it's contents so if shooters need services rendered they ask a shooter first, rather than hire an unknown individual and possibly get taken.

So here's the Question, What did or what do you do for a living? I am sure we will be amazed of what some of fellow shooters do for a living.
    Steve Balistreri, (In the Banking industry, retired)

2. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

I sell electricty and water... both products are in high demand these days

GL

3. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Formerly a cabinetmaker/business owner.

Currently working as a machinist and doing machinery machanical repair at the same company.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Started out to be an auto mechanic. Went on to an apprenticeship in toolmaking, worked 30 years at toolmaking, at the same time part time college of engineering at Lawrence Tech University.
    Worked in engineering and cost management. Finally RETIRED and happily trapshooting. I still puts around and build things and play in my woodshop.

Chuck

5. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Joined the Navy on my 17th birthday, retired from the Navy 1 month before my 37th birthday in 1976. Worked as a bench optician, gave it up after 12 years and went to work for an electrical contractor, joined the IBEW stayed for 9 years and retired completely 10 years ago. I have a pension from the Military, another from the Ibew, another from the National Electrical Benefit fund and last but not least Social Security. Never had a set plan for retirement, everything just seemed to fall into place on it's own. Woody Sullivan

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Surveyor, construction inspector and project manager for highway construction. thus the handle "tripod". Now retired.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Mechanical Engineer. I worked for CNH (Case-New-Holland) in the Construction Equipment Division for 33 years.

Currently retired and developing my machinist skills.

Jim Skeel

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Work in the audio field, Radio, recording studios, TV, Movies as an audio engineer/sound Mixer. Lot's of fun.

Eric
    mixer_2008_030397.jpg

9. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I have been driving a truck since i was 13 yrs old.Back then the Police just left you alone if you had a job driving.My brother taught me to drive so he could enjoy an "adult" beverage all day long. I have been lucky enough to have hauled just about all types of stuff. Cattle, Lumber ,grain,steel, produce and the best was case WINE from the Napa Valley in CA.Owned my own truck for 12 yrs then sold it and drove for Wal-Mart for 17 1/2 Yrs. Retired a year ago Jan. 30. I have been in 48 States and have met a lot of people.I have been shooting shotguns since i was 9 yrs old and i am 68 yrs old now.I Thank my dad for putting that first shotgun in my hand. Because of that I Have Been Blessed with Being a Member of the "Best" Family of people anywhere "TRAPSHOOTERS" Joe (Long winded) Whitehurst joe90t

10. dontate

dontate Member

Dentist

11. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Construction Manager

12. oz

oz Active Member

duh! some dummy can ask aa stupid question having nothing to do with trapshooting, or anything else to do with shooting, and get a bunch of stupid answers.. what kind of toilet paper does everyone use? who voted for obama? whose shotgun shells smell the best. does a bear shit in the woods? get a life. oz

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Production machining, auto salvage, motorcycle mechanic, and 30 years as a sound and alarm contractor.

IBEW member loc 158 for 40 years.

HM

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Self employed housing carpenter (small business never more than 5 employees) mostly interior trim--cabinets--raised panel libraries-- coffered ceilings--mantles--fluted & raised paneled columns etc. Had to shut down & retire @ 63 back went bad, been 8 years now. Still putter a little but no business or crew anymore. Ross Puls

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of jobs:

1) at 10 years old sold newspapers and hustled tickets (asking for extra tickets then turning around and selling them) at the steelers games when they played at Pitt Stadium. Mom and sisters worked the consession stands inside. When the game was over I usually got a couple of free dogs after the game.

2) at 11 yrs. old I worked setting pins in a bowling alley and met a black guy named Tyrone he asked for a job and the owner would not hire him since he never set pins but he had a shoe shine kit on his shoulder. to short, I taught him to set pins he taught me to shine shoes. We worked the alleys during league and between early and late league we worked the bars shining shoes. We both always had money in our pockets.

3) 14 Did dumpster diving at the local trucking companies sold of anything good I could find. Only 1 summer.

4) 15 Worked in a bakery after school cleaning the kitchen and scrubbing baking pans.

5) 16 I got a job delivering pots and pans for the salwwesman that sold them then made a few pitches my self sold a couple to make some bucks.

6) 18 worked for AndyGard plating plastic toys (musical instruments.

Went to college then 7) went to work in the mill. Blawknox Steel tube works.The mills Metalurgist found out I took a cource in Chemistry so I got bumped to the lab X-raying steel. I check the heat before they poured the metal.

8) work in the O.S.&D. dept of a Eazor trucking co. short stint.

9) Started collect delinquent accounts. The Associates Finance, Colliers Encyclopedia,Texas and Detroit. Then on to Lomas and Nettleton to collect delinquent Mortgages. The business was a lot different back then.

10) Got into in the home remodeling sales. Siding, Kitchens, roofing, bathrooms and everything home related. Didn't like ripping people off so I went to...

11) The wholesale building products business sold to contractors did well.

12) Finally got into the Commercial window business selling to Apartment investors, Colleges, Hospitals, Housing Authorities and anyone the needed commercial or large scale window jobs. 2 largest were just over a million dollars in windows. A Public Housing hii-rise and a Privately owned apartment complex. Met and befriended quite a few Architects.

Dropped out of the workforce on Marck 13 2007 @ 60 yrs. old. Left as Vice President of Commercial Sales. Sort of miss the work once in a while. Think i'd go back.

Most fun working with tyrone setting pins and shining shoes. At 11 years old I was walking around with $25 or $35 bucks in my pocket. In 1959 that was a lot of money.Sorry it was so long but lots of lifes experiences, I started young. Mike

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm a piano player in a whore house LOL

Went it the USAF at 17, got out went to college, got into the HVAC/R business, now own my business, but I'm supposed to be retired, all we do is heavy/ industrial HVAC/R and also build specialized equipment for the trade

We solve the unsolvable problems

17. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

After 36 yrs. owning a Landscape construction business we are in the process of selling our business building and property, hopefully with the closing on may 17th. Working on transitioning into my artwork full time. I do custom pet portraits and have done a few for people on this site. Mike Pracht.

18. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Always--Always there is someone that Just has to make a Comment about a thread.Hell, i am like Mike i have worked all my life and then someone thinks it is bad to inform your friends your past.I am proud i HAVE a Work Ethic!!!!!! Rudeness can & will turn a Friend into a FOE! joe90t

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I'm impressed not only for some of the types of job some of you had, but how many of you did very hard work. When I was a young child I dreaded when the teacher would ask what type of job does your father have?

My dad worked as a garbage man for the city of Milwaukee for 38 years. I was always worried what would the kids say in school if they found out? The older I got I found out that when his father died he was in 6th grade. My dad dropped out of school and being the oldest boy he worked full time on commission row loading and unloading fruit and vegetables.

When he turned 18 he got his first and only full time job working for the city. To get the job he had to carry a 100lb bag of sand up and down city hall's steps in a certain amount of time. The starting pay was low but when he left he made a fairly good salary and had 7 weeks 3 days vacation, and was #2 in the entire city of Milwaukee among city employees in seniority.

I remember telling my teacher not to ask me what my dad did as I did not want my friends to laugh. He sat me down and told me never to judge a man until you walk in his shoes, and never make fun of someone for the work that they do as long as it was honest work. It was good advice that I still use today.

My dad supported his mother, and younger brothers and sisters. When someone ask what is a real man, I often think of my dad. Although he is no longer with us, I hope he knows how proud I was of him.
    Steve

20. ctreay

ctreay Member

Joined the Navy at 17 right off the farm and out of high school. Spent 10 years in the SEABEES as a heavy construction equipment operator. Drove tractor trailer for a couple of years after I got out and then went into a papermill. Spent 16 years on the machines then got into maintaince dept and went to elect school nights for three years. Retired as elect dept supervisor. Still pull a little wire once in a while for family and friends. While I was working I only had one full time job and a part time job at the club. Now I have a full time job at the club, pay stinks but the benifits of being around my friends and loveing what I am doing is worth it.

ctreay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.