1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do on the line when gun stops working?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What is the safe procedure on the line in the middle of a round when your gun stops working.

Let's say you are at position 2 and you discover the problem when shooter 4 is shooting?

I am only talking safety. How do you tell the other shooters you need to remove yourself from the squad and when do you let them know?

2. lostandout

lostandout Member

i wait until its my turn to shoot and let them know that i have a problem and remove myself or resolve the problem

3. JTEA

JTEA Member

Stay put until it's your turn. Etiquette

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I wait until it is my turn and let the squad know I need to withdraw. This happened to me at the Ohio State.

YOU DO NOT interrupt the shooters. If it is a minor fix, you and/or your squad mates may get you up and running. In my case, I could not shoot the gun and hurried to Keith Heeg for an overnight repair.

He did not know me form Adam. I arrived after he had closed for the day and worked on it that evening. He had the gun ready for an early morning squad the next day.

BTW he did a great job and undercharged me - so I gave him a well deserved tip.

Don Verna

5. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

How do you let the squad know you have a problem?

6. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

I've dropped to the ground and field-stripped a semi-auto and got it working by the time the squad got back to me.

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

...What happens to your score when you drop out? Is the round cancelled or do you just count the birds you have broken to the time you drop out. Can you make up the round shooting individually at the end of the venue?....SMOKIT

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bushmaster1313

"How do you let the squad know you have a problem?"

If I am shooting with friends I usually tell one of them and they will tell the others. Then I go to the scorer and inform them that I must leave the line.

Bob Lawless

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Smokit -

Your score is in limbo until one of two things happen:

- you go to the designated make-up trap (usually the practice trap) and make-up whatever targets that you did not shoot.
    - if you do not shoot make-up your score is submitted based on targets broken up to the time you dropped out, out of the total targets in all the sub-events you started.

For example, if you shot 50x50 on the first two traps then shot the first target on trap 3 and dropped out and did not make-up, your score would be recorded as 51x75. The remaining 24 targets are considered lost.

It also doesn't matter why you didn't shoot any more targets (gun trouble, voluntarily dropped out). Once you start a sub-event you will be credited with that number of targets shot-at.

Scott

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Ivanhoe, you are interrupting a shooter while he is on the line. Wrong. Its bad enough to have a problem but to start talking to another shooter while they or the others are trying to shoot is just wrong?

I notice a problem I start to grade the problem. Is it something I can just put up with and keep shooting? Is it something I can fix right now before my turn? Do I have to stop the squad and fix it in just a few min? Is it something that a gunsmith is needed? You have to make fast quick dictions on the spot not only for the squad but yourself. When its your turn you make a diction to walk away or ask for a few min to take care of a gun problem. Make as less of a disturbance as you can.

11. ivanhoe

Auctioneer

"Ivanhoe, you are interrupting a shooter while he is on the line. Wrong. Its bad enough to have a problem but to start talking to another shooter while they or the others are trying to shoot is just wrong?"

Where did I say I interrupt the shooters on the line. I take etiquette so serious that it never even enters my mind to mention waiting until it is my turn. There is no other way of doing it waiting for my needs not be mentioned it is a given.

So tell me why are you making it an issue???? Bushmaster asked

"How do you let the squad know you have a problem?"

Not when do let the squad know this was asked after three other shooter told him about waiting for his turn. Don't you think repeteing it three times is enough. Technically I don't believe you need to let the squad know as the scorer is in charge of who shoots and when on the line. Not the squad!!!!!!!

"Its bad enough to have a problem but to start talking to another shooter while they or the others are trying to shoot is just wrong?"

From this statement I would say you assumed facts not in evidence. Oh well I guess it made an a** of you for sure!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

1. Unload the gun/take the shell out of the gun and have the action open.

2. Wait until it is your turn to shoot.

3. Raise your hand, turn around, start walking off the line so targets are not flying all over the place and tell the squad and scorer the gun is unloaded and you have a malfunction.

4. Allow them squad to continue without you especially if its a bigger shoot with more money involved.

5. Fix the malfunction if you can, then ask the scorer their procedure for "catch up". If it takes a while to fix, you will have to go to the shoot directors and find out how to "catch up". They may have to send you down to the practice traps or resquad you. I think the targets you broke/lost count you just need to catch up.

Sucks though, I have seen it happen a few times. Not only does it throw the shooter off it disrupts the flow of the round and leads to lost targets for everyone.

Another reason why you need to understand your gun. Nothing sucks more when a gun craps out is the shooter says he has no idea what the problem may be. When you are shooting practice its no big deal and the place to learn about the plusses and minuses of the gun's relability.

Whats worse, gun breking down or a guy that forgot to fill his powder bottle and has a bunch of bloopers. Talk about a shitty round and throwing everyone off and I could care less about him losing the targets. I get thinking more about that guy than my own targets.

Hate it even more when he just laughes it off and throws another shell in the gun.

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

Scream at it.slam it into the ground,then throw it into the nearest lake,,,OOPS,sorry,that's Golf..

Doug H.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

You ask them if they have another spare trigger for the P-gun.

If not find one {many carry extras} see ya on the next trap, Enjoy the practice trap.

15. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Happened to me just recently. Got two FTF's. Wife walked up with my back-up TMX out of our truck which is usually parked near the active traps. Trigger did not fall out; squad was great about it; dropped the next bird but won the event. Fault was operator error. Release hooks require a bit of grease now and then. Wonderful people to shoot with.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

So 357, you field stripped an auto and had it working in less than one minute? Gee, I wonder if that bothered the guys shooting next to you? I'll call BS on that one.

Do you actually shoot trap? It is a big time no-no to disrupt your squad like that.

17. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Setterman, learn something when the smart guys are talking. I'm used to quickly clearing jams from handguns. Shotguns are much easier. Keep your cool under fire; know your gun, and you'll be amazed at how much time you have.

Now make sure you keep your yap shut about guns. Hear me, boy? You sound like one of those shotgun guys who doesn't spend a lot of time with other types of guns. You also sound like you've got one bad case of envy.

You might be a decent trapshooter, son, that's still undetermined, but you're no firearm expert.

18. ivanhoe

Setterman I know that you and I have had words in the past that weren't exactly friendly.

If you start waisting time with that idiot(toking357)you will sink a lot lower in my mind he is a waste. I am not just talking about of time either.

"Now make sure you keep your yap shut about guns. Hear me, boy? You sound like one of those shotgun guys who doesn't spend a lot of time with other types of guns. You also sound like you've got one bad case of envy."

With his pleasant mannerisms I don't give him much longevity on this sight. Remember he is a legend and a genius in his own mind. With the ability to ask the poster here how to read a program. His Genius is so strong that if you do a search on his sign-on name and read some of his posts you get a better understanding of the extent of his genius......LOL

Bob Lawless

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bob, Our spat is water over the damn. No big deal. But this 357 guy is so fake it wreaks, and he has no clue of the gun experience of those he insults.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

357ah I was not going to waste any more time on you but you just grossly insulted a friend who has forgot more firearms knowledge than you have ever known. If you ever did your drop down on me I would not ask you to leave the squad I would see how far I could throw your dumb ass.

I would ask you to do us all a favor and take your dumb ass down the road. You add nothing to this site and if you are trying to get thrown off, you are doing a good job of it. You are one person the shotgun world can do with out.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.