1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Do YOU Do Differently As Yardage Increases?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I'm fascinated by the range of answers I get to this question. Many short & mid-yardage shooters say they do almost nothing different. But surprisingly (at least to me) even some 25-27 yard shooters claim they change very little. One very accomplished 27 yard shooter I met in Florida said, "I float the bird a little less and try to shoot quicker." His buddy, with similar scores who also shoots from 27, said he changes everything from comb height, to hold points (very common answer) to shooting speed and shells -- both shot size and dram equivalent (another very common answer). I think he even used blinders but only for caps. When I asked him if, given how little his friend does differently, whether he felt all his changes were necessary. He replied, "Hell, I dialed it back -- I used to entirely switch guns for caps!" The most amusing thing was that one of them said he increases his lead on hard angles by three to four feet (!) and the other guy said he doesn't adjust lead at all. That last one was pretty strange because both were proficient at hard angles and neither of them missed many targets at all (at least one of them scored a 24 or 25 in nearly every round I watched).

What EXACTLY do YOU do differently, and at what YARDAGE?

-Gary

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The guy who said " he doesn't adjust lead at all" is correct. The lead is built in. As one moves back the lead automatically increases without changing anything.

3. white rattler

white rattler Member

Miss More Trevor Dawe.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I switch to my top barrel. It has a full choke and the bottom barrel has an I.M. other than that nothing. Oh yeah I also miss more. Mike.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Thanks Trevor, you took away my line!!

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

D.L. Braun the famous Remington pro wrote in his book, that at one Grand American he asked 10 different top shooters how they shot handicap and everyone shot it different, no 2 shot handicap a like.

You have to experiment and see what works for yourself.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

1. Hold a little lower.

2. Miss more (seems very common).

3. Pretend I am asking the most elegant, long legged raven haired lady in a black evening gown to dance using my best Barry White voice I can muster. In essence, I get smooooooooth baby, real smooth.

4. She said buzz off so I miss more.

Greg

8. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I shoot .004 more choke and 7 1/2's from 23 yards. Everything else is the same.

9. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

At the 25, I change the choke to .005" more restriction, add 3/16" under the comb, slow down the gun speed, give the bird time to rise into the pattern, focus like my life depended on it and smoke 'em, or most of 'em anyway.

Screech-How's that Spolar coming along?

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I love these kind of threads. They are why I keep coming back to ts.com! Please folks...respond! You may have seen these questions a dozen times, but many of us are still looking for the answers! Thanks for your patience and your expertise. Martinpicker

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Nothing. I always shoot a full choke, even for singles. If I do anything differently, it is automatic and I am unaware of it.

12. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

All I do is cover the Bird a little more fully. Have my CG set for 80/20. At 25 to 27 without changing anything else, just cover it a slight bit more.
    Thanks to Big Leo for that bit of knowledge. Oh, and a full choke.

Mike C.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Does anybody here LOWER their comb for handicap? Because I've gotten that answer too (from a very good shooter). The explanation was that "the bird isn't rising as fast at handicap distances." That seems to make sense for a second, but then I wonder how do you reconcile that reasoning when the same person says he tries to shoot quicker in handicap? I mean, wouldn't that mean the bird is rising faster?

-Gary

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The birds are rising the same but with yardage distance your gun movement is shorter so it seams like the bird is slower. By shooting faster I would imagine they mean their call to shot timing is faster. This is just my opinion.

I'm not a long yardage shooter but I sure like to listen to those who are for tips.

15. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

If you ask the pros, they'll tell you they don't change anything. Most favor a slightly faster shell, slightly larger shot, slightly lower hold (sometimes slightly higher), slight adjustment to amount of lead, slight adjustment to swing speed, slightly higher POI, slightly tighter choke.

So they don't change anything. I tend to agree. GAP

16. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have to focus harder on seeing the target, probably because the eyes are getting old. Nothing else changes, but then I shoot a full choke from all yardages and 8's break 27yd targets just fine.

Robert

17. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

For the 27 yard "wipe your eye" or "Annie Oakley" games we play at my club the things I have learned are as follows...

1) A full choke

2) 3 dram 7 1/2 shot loads

3) I personally tighten up the space between the top of the bead and the bird vs the 16 yard line. In other words I am touching the bird with the barrel tip. On hard rights and lefts, follow thru is very important.

4) the decaying shots are by far the hardest in these backup games, when the second shot is taken as the bird is falling down. So there you have to be way under.... I takes alot of games to get that down.

5) although I am putting this 5th, it is probably first... overall smoothness in key in the back game. It is not a point and shoot but rather a smooth and fluid approach works best for me.

your mileage may vary...

nice topic.

18. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Gapper:

Your first and third sentences contradict your second. Are you being facetious?

You said, "If you ask the pros, they'll tell you they don't change anything."

If by "Pros" you mean the ATA Bigdogs like Leo, Harlan and others who are near that level, I think you're kidding yourself if you think all/most of them "don't change anything."

I own Harlan's DVD "Trapshooting My Way" in which he teaches singles. Do you really think his DVD on handicap is going to recommend "don't change anything"?

-Gary

20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

Shoot more practice to stay sharp, smooth gun movement, use 7.5 shot full choke, lower hold points,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.