1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you consider "practice"?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pugs, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

What do you consider

There has been a lot of talk about shooting "practice" rounds of Trap. What do you consider a "practice" round? If you consider shooting a regular line of
    trap, 5 shots from each station, a "practice" round just exactly what did you practice? I hear/see this a lot at my club and I quietly just shake my head in disagreement and consider that the shooter just wasted their time and money.

Shouldn't you practice on what you are the weakest at? If, for example, you are having difficulty with hard rights from station 5, (many right handers do)shouldn't you practice that shot the most? It is possible to shoot a regular line of trap and not have one hard right from station 5. What have you "practiced"?

My ususal routine is to get a trap to myself, have the trapper lock the trap first to hard left, shoot ten on station 1, then have the trapper lock the trap to straight aways, shoot 5 on station 3, have the trapper lock the trap to hard right, and shoot the remaining ten. As of late the targets I miss most are quartering lefts from station 1 and 2 so I then have the trapper lock the trap to quartering lefts and shoot 10-15 from station 1 and the remainder from station 2. I feel that this is "practice" with a purpose. What do you think?

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

What do you consider

I practice whatever needs working on. Lately, it's doubles - post 4 & 5. For awhile, it was handicap. I practice with a purpose (we think alike here). I don't shoot, just to shoot, especially if I'm struggling. To me, that just reinforces my problem, if I can't figure it out. I do though, shoot with my squad mate, she often 'thumps' me when I do something stupid -- helps alot.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

What do you consider

Sparrow It sounds like you have a routine that works for you. Others including myself have a different routine that works for them. I tried what you describe and what I found was that for me at least I was creating a problem (post/bird) that really didn't exist UNTIL I convinced myself that I had a problem. Then instead of taking a bird as it came I would approach the post (with my "problem" bird that I had managed to reinforce by focused practice)dreading THAT bird and when it came instead of a natural (eyes on target, track, bang) process the first thought is (OH SHIT IT'S THAT BIRD) then panic then a rush to the bird. All because I convinced myself I had a "problem bird" and then reinforced that thought.

Oh I do practice with a purpose and that is to become better at a sport I really like.

--- Chip King ---

4. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

What do you consider

Well Sparrow, I think you are practicing/training in a way that works for you. For me, if I locked the trap, then for 5 to 10 shots, I would be shooting targets that I know where they're going. I have trouble with moving the gun before the bird is in sight. I have trouble with birds catching me looking one place, and showing up in another surprising me. If I'm having trouble with a station, then I'll shoot from that spot, but not lock the trap so I know where the birds will be going. But that's what works for me. Thanks David

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

What do you consider

I should practice more, this year I have not shot a practice round. It is difficult for me to practice with the same mental determination I want to have at a registered shoot. If I don't practice with determination, I find myself just shooting.

When I do practice, and this is rare, I go to the club when I am the only one around. I dump a couple of boxes in my vest pocket and shoot from post one until things feel comfortable. I repeat the same thing from post five. I don't count the shells I have shot from any post. Then I move back to handicap and repeat the same thing. Often, after shooting some handicap, I lose my mental concentration and go back home.

I do count my empty boxes and pay for the practice rounds I shoot at the next registered shoot or the next time I am scheduled to operate the club on the weekly practice afternoon/evening.

Pat Ireland

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What do you consider

When you miss a target you have done something wrong. With your method of practice you will get very good at doing it wrong. You need someone to show you the right way to break the bird, and then practice that method until it becomes second nature. HMB

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

What do you consider

Here is my two cents worth. I practice proper and consistant gun mount, gun position on the field and keeping my mind on just what I am doing. I also make a consious effort to not over grip the gun. If I keep those things in mind the targets break. I used to go out and try to break targets for practice, it just didn't work for me, the latter has.
    Head Down and Keep Swinging Wayne

8. rwm12

rwm12 Member

What do you consider

After you miss the first target in a registered 100 target event the remaining targets are practice and I've been doing a lot of practicing.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

What do you consider

As a Trainer and Coach, locking the machine does not help an experienced shooter that much unless you shoot two or three times on that bird. You KNOW where it is going, and that does not help.

I WILL lock the machine for a first time shooter until they are hitting targets and have some of the basics downloaded into their hard drive. Then, it is off to a regular trap field with other shooters. Often, insuring proper foot position, gun mount and a little positive re enforcement will help the new shooter on angle targets. These are mental.

MY nemesis is the dreaded "straight away", which is seldom straight away. I will shoot over or behind a bird with a very shallow angle. I probably attempt to trap that bird, like the first bird in Dubs.

Watching other, more experienced shooters up close is an excellent and low cost training method I use. If requested, the new shooter and I will sit at the back of the field and critique the other shooters. I will point our that a particular shooter is lifting their head, one is band leading (trying to find the target while looking at the bead), one is missing a target because they are not set up for it with foot position, another is stopping the gun, etc.

This is very easy to see from behind the field, and gives the new shooter who really wants to learn a visual key as to what not to do.

After that, it is step up to the line, and shoot with the rest of us. I shoot the same way regardless of whether the targets are registered or not.

10. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

What do you consider

The league I shoot in I consider practice. The targets are free and top gun earns a box or 2 of shells, the real prizes come out on our fun night at the end of the league. Protections, killers, suzie's are the games to do good on for the prizes and then a dinner to boot.

11. tencows

tencows Member

What do you consider

I think that we are confussing practice with training, which is easy to do. First, practice is playing the game in conditions that simulate those that occur during competition. This is not training. Training is defined as the development of skills through repetition. The purpose is not to develop skills and fundamentals. It is to experience the events that will most likely occur during a match and learn how to prepare for these events both physically and mentally. This is what separates the 95 hits from the 100 hits. There are six components to a training plan. 1. Visual Training 2. Gun Mount Training 3. Physical Training 4. Mental Training 5. Concentration Training 6. Training at the range. By combining these six components we can achieve higher scores.
    Dennis B. Groce - South Carolina - National Coaches Development Staff

12. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

What do you consider

For me, practice is establishing a goal and then working to acheive it. Last Saturday, my objective was trying to shoot singles (and then handicap) faster. When I could, I shot extra shells from the ends but even when the squad was full, I worked on my objective. So your observation of folks just staying in rotation "not getting practice" may be wrong. I don't know what they were trying to accomplish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting practice

what is a practice round in trap