1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do ya think about 7/8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hrosik123, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

There's a lot of talk on the site about #8 vs. #7.5. 1 ounce vs. 1 1/8 ounce. I started loading 7/8 ounce # 8.5 and they smoke targets back to 22yds that I know of. Less lead, less money, less recoil. How many other guys shoot 7/8 loads, and would you shoot them in competition? I know I would. Good luck. Chuck Hrosik

2. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

I use them for my first shot doubles. Zero recoil. No reason not to use for 16 yd, other than I'm set in my ways. Been shooting 1oz back to 23yds forever.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

What do ya think about 7/8's

Great skeet and 1st shot doubles shells. I've also used them in fun sporting clays shoots to compete in sub-guage events.

I load mine with clays powder/remington hull and push them in the 1235fps area.

ss

4. warren

warren Member

I still want as much shot out there as is legal, the only exception to me would be to reduce recoil if it might throw me off for the second shot on doubles, just my thoughts.

warren

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Less lead, less money, less recoil and if you are right in the center of your targets, probably no change in your score either. But if now and then you stray off a bit, it will probably cost you, again a bit, as the above link explains.

Neil

6. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I haven't counted the pellet difference between 1 ounce #8 and 7/8 #8.5, but pretty sure that the difference isn't much. Lots of people use them for doubles. My question is does anybody use them for 16's. If you don't I would urge people to try them. I've seen no trade off. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

7. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

I use 7/8 8 1/2 for competition on the '16 and 1st of doubles. I don't do any better with 1 or 1 1/8 loads ( I tried 1 1/8 of 8 1/2 for singles, 24, 25, 25,,,18, I know it must have been the shells.... LOL).
    Norman

8. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have been shooting the 7/8 oz load with # 9 shot for my singles and first shot in doubles for 3 years now and they work great if you can do your part!Zero recoil and lot's of pellets in the pattern.Cost savings also.Just do it and forget about the bigger loads.Good luck. PJ

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

In my day.. I shot a ton of them.. GREAT training shell.. but in a match..1 1/8oz.. BTW.. When I shoot 7/8oz I also shoot a .038 choke... for a match I open it up to .032 if I can.. Feels like I have a trawl net out there.. Just watch you don't get sloppy...

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I use 7/8 for my first shot in doubles. AA hull, AA 7/8 wad,

13.5 grns Win AALite. No recoil hardly at all. Keeps my head on

comb for second shot. Singles is 1 oz and cap is 1 1/8oz.

Yes I use these for compition.

Mike C.

11. perga1

perga1 Active Member

7/8 ounce of 8's for all my 16 yard shooting and handicap back to 23/24. When I am seeing the targets well (a rare occurence) my scores match the heavier shot charges. If pointed correctly they will break 27 yard targets with authority out of a .034" choke but I am not nearly precise enough in my shooting to have any confidence in them that far back. I load 7/8 ounce of hard 8's, 18.7 grs. of promo, Rio primer and a CB 12SO replacement wad. They chrono'd @ 1280- 1300 fps over a friends chronograph. JRM

12. dflo

dflo Member

I use 7/8 of 7.5's at 1340 fps for everything. I wish ATA would allow International loads of 1390 fps. With my Wilkenson .035 choke this load flat works and is like a laser to the target. But this is no pool load where slop works that is for sure.

Dale

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

Most of my 97-99s at 16yards have been with 7/8oz hard 8s at 1225. My second 100 straight with 12ga in skeet was 7/8ths 8 1/2s at 1225. My only 100 straight in Trap was with 7/8oz of hard 8s. As Neil said IF you are on they work well.

--- Chip King ---

14. shrek

shrek Active Member

I use 7/8 oz of 8's at 1250 fps for singles, first shot of doubles, and skeet.

I don't see a difference in scores whether I use them of 1 1/8 oz of shot.

15. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

what do I think? I think it's a quarter ounce less in shot, but some people like em'

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

7/8 oz of shot is great if you can get 4 of the shot in each shell to hit the target. 1 1/8 oz of shot is also very good if you can get four of the shot to hit the target. The laws of probability would favor 1 1/8 oz of shot over 7/8 oz of shot. The lower recoil resulting from 7/8 oz loads could be a greater advantage to one individual than the detrimental effect of the laws of probability.

Pat Ireland

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

7/8 is great if you don't need the extra 1/4 oz.....

I often wonder why Leo, Ray, Kay,Phil, etc, don't just shoot 7/8 oz. I guess they just don't understand the benefits it offers....

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

7/8 oz loads are great for practice, and if you so desire, for when it counts as well. I step them up between 1200 - 1250 fps. I'll use 8 1/2s as often as 8s in these loads. I've used the Federal 12S0 wads in the STS or Winchester hulls with good results. I will also go to a tighter choke than what I would use for 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. Great for singles, first shot of doubles, and shorter range handicaps. When there is money or prizes on the line, I would opt for the full 1 1/8 oz load. No specific reason, since I can do about the same with the 7/8 oz loads. I just have more confidence in sending out more shot with each round, especially for caps. If everyone were required to use 7/8 oz loads, I don't think I would suffer much from it. I've shot about as many straights with 7/8 as I have with 1oz or 1 1/8 oz. I feel that if I'm on the target, it will break with whatever I use. If I'm not, it really doesn't matter that much, since a clear miss with 7/8 is about the same as missing with 2 oz of shot.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    When my left arm had a pinched nerve and I could not hold up a heavy trap gun, I used my 1187 20ga, configured as a 7/8ths scale trap gun. Shot light 7/8 oz 2-1/2 dram loads. Recoil was very low. My scores were the same as with my 12ga, after I got used to the gun being more "lively". This was from the 16. Still use this setup for sporting clays.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 7/8 Oz handloads are a great way to strech your shooting dollars and they are a pleasure to shoot but you need to be right in the middle of the targets to post the tall scores. For most of us that means using the 7/8 Oz shells in practice and then bumping up the performance level on game day with full loads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.