1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do trap shooters use when shooting 410 skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jun 13, 2013.

1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

This a little different twist on the beat to death "which chokes are best" topic..heh heh!

Assuming some of us shoot skeet "and" trap ...and some do both pretty well. I'm just curious what chokes you use for shooting skeet in the .410 bore.
    I've been using skeet chokes...but am considering tightening up a little. With the cost of chokes these days I'd just as soon not pi$$ off a hundred or two if it's a foolish move.

I'm using a Browning Skeet combo set with Diamond grade skeet chokes (which are getting scarce now) with #9's and 1200 fps target loads. BUT... I don't like my .410 breaks much. (That's trap shoters mentality I guess...LOL)...so I thought I'd try something tighter...

What say ye gentlemen...what is your go to 410. choke for skeet..??

Thanks..Stan

2. Nutso

Nutso Member

Try increasing the shot speed up to somewhere around 1300 fps first, if you're are still not getting the breaks you want then try tighter chokes.

3. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

First give up the idea of getting "smoke balls" with a 410, even on station 8! Just getting any kind of hit is great stuff. Experiment with the different loads available to you these days. If the regular Winchester or Remington skeet load seems less than ideal try the various 410's now sold for Sporting Clays. They are hotter and they usually feature #8 or #8 1/2 shot. Also be aware that when Remington makes barrels for its 870's and 1100's in 410 the barrels are all choked exactly the same but marked different. Barrels going to skeet guns are marked "Skeet", barrels going to field guns are marked "Mod".

Good luck, break them all!

Chris K.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Where's Lit? He would explain how the Tutu has to be Pink, with the ruffles just so, while shooting any kind of Skeet. I think there are some other rules also. :)

Ajax

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I load Magnum Eights at 1300 fps. I get smoke if I center the shot, except on 3, 4, and 5. Good breaks on those stations.

Shot in Briley Ultimate Ultralite Tubeset, Light Skeet (.003") chokes.

With this load, no need to change chokes on our Subgauge course. IC and LM give good breaks on the big course with close targets.

6. hdskip

hdskip Member

My .410 loads are approx. 1300-1320. Everything improved after increasing from 1200. Did this after a reloading article in SSR a couple years ago. If I remember correctly the article stated that Remington factory loads were loaded to this 1300 figure. Anyway my breaks with the .410 improved a lot.
    Gary

7. StansCustoms

Nutso/Terry

I hadn't thought about hotter loads...I have always tried to keep the speed at 1200 fps in trap at yardage and singles or doubles.

Skeet targets are much closer so it probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference in leads if I did speed 'em up a notch. Good idea! And...Recoil is a non issue however you load 410's.

I load all my shells in skeet and trap...but give a lot less attention to skeet.

I was thinking about IC or LM chokes....Mod might be a little much for the baby gun it would seem to me.

Ajax
    ..are there some rules I am breaking. I thought the rules just stated the post needed to be shooting related..No? If so I'll delete the post...

Stan...

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You're a 100% right and I was just funin Stan. No offense meant. I shoot skeet too. You do have to watch for the Lit. He helped me get the right colored Tutu(said my original Lime Green bothered the other shooters) and I was all messed up on the ruffles!LOL

Ajax

9. Glass balls

Glass balls Member

There is nothing more rewarding than crushing targets with 1/2OZ of screaming lead. Take that thing to the pattering board. The speed and the choke configuration is the key (in my humble opinion). The "shot stream" seems to be long in the 410 bore and more forgiving on the lead. The fast stuff stays tight longer. The slow stuff(1200fps) spreads out and needs tighter chokes. My personal favorite as of late is some 1350+shells with #9s with skeet chokes in a 28" barrel gun. I've seen you posts on here for quite a while this probably isn't your first rodeo on the skeet field.

10. StansCustoms

Ajax,
    Say it ain't so!!...lime green Tutu's are not kosher any more!! Shucks..what's the world coming to?? I guess pink and lilac will be the rage again. No matter...it's getting harder and harder to get ruffles ironed properly..so I guess any ol' color will do, if they are all wrinkly.

Glass balls.. I'm not even going to ask what kind of Tutu goes with ...aww never mind..lol.

Back to 1350 fps, #9's and skeet chokes...that sounds interesting. What were you shooting before that?

I have hydraulic loaders...which are really tuned in. I was hoping my 1200 ft. stuff would work better just by snugging up the chokes....guess not though. What powder do you use if you reload 1350 fps.? Pressures get high on .410 reloads real quick.

Thanks..Stan

11. mag410

mag410 Active Member

As usual, disinformation, misinformation and pure conjecture.

1200 fps loads pattern better and break targets better than faster loads regardless of gauge and especially in the .410 bore.

The only possible advantage of faster loads is psychological pecker-lengthening associated with a bit more recoil.

.003-.004 is plenty of choke.

Any of you 1300 plus crowd ever broke a straight?

Michael Goines

12. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

410 chokes are measured at 25 yards, rather than at 40 yards for the other gauges. Mark

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

410 chokes are very confusing. The old timers used to use model 42s and many of them were full choke, which is not much more than a skeet choke.

The problem is to get a target breaking pattern with a half ounce of shot.

By comparison, a full in a 410 is much less constriction than a 12.

Skeet- .005"
    IC- .008"
    LM- .010"
    Mod- .012"
    IM- .014"
    Full- .018"

I will tend to agree with the Faster is better theory. I load my .410 to 1300 or maybe even a little more.

Station 7 & 8 smokeballs appear frequently.

HM

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not a true blue skeet shooter but I do shoot the game for fun in my club's weekly league. My .410 isn't a real skeet gun either - it is a M42 field grade with the common full choke. I may not be very competitive with it but it will in fact smoke targets and we throw WF bios.

Never ran a clean round with this set up but have gotten a few 24s. But the important thing is I just love shooting that little gun especially for doubles skeet and scores are secondary for me. When you pattern this set up at 20 yards or so its obvious why good scores are such a challenge. The effective pattern is only about 10" in diameter.

I don't see the need for high speed loads, I guess if you are depending on a single pellet or two to break the target then perhaps. For shot I like #8 1/2 but I don't always have that so I load #8 quite a bit.

15. StansCustoms

Hmmm...no definitive direction here. I need some more chokes I guess, to try and pattern my way out of this dilemma. I hate the pattern board, because it doesn't agree with what I see on the field sometimes...and this game is mental enough without adding fuel to the fire.

Shot string , velocity etc., etc., just seem to exasperate the issue sometimes. I wonder if it would be immediately noticeable if someone unknowingly changed the gun to tighter chokes... and the shooter thought he still had loose skeet chokes. I'm wondering whether it would be as obvious as one might envision.. If the mind thinks they are still skeet chokes...then they are! yes/no?

I think I've got the right combination...but it sure doesn't feel like I do.

Maybe full chokes with 1350 fps, 7 1/2's is the answer..LOL!

Stan..

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

What constriction do you have now? You need to know. Between .0anding on what you want to se0 shooters are very picky. Jchokes are marked the sameies not mean they pattern the same . All the old fixed choke tubes had.008 you have to be good to shoot them.
    K

17. DBSkeet

DBSkeet Member

For skeet I do the same as Shooting Coach. I use Light Skeet (.003)in my Briley Ultralights and get decent hits across the board.

18. single stack

single stack Member

StansCustoms,

You can achieve authoritative breaks with a .410 on the skeet field with .005 constriction except at 3, 4 and 5. The .005 constriction is too thin to "smoke'm" at the center stations. Keep in mind that while a full choked .410 can do a good job with a well centered shot out in the middle of the field you'll reduce your effective pattern from about 20" to 15" and that is a LOT! The patterns I've shot with Full choke .410 look like they have a "hot" center.

Once I accepted that .410 breaks are a little weak and a hit is a hit, the little gun became more fun all of the time. I'm not good enough to have ever shot 100/100 but I've got lots and lots of 25/25 and a good number of 50/50's with .003 (the old .410 skeet constriction) and with .005. When I take out a fixed choke Mod or Full choked .410, 25/25's are rare.

Fourten is my favorite for skeet.

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Most anyone who has run 100 with 410 factory STS loads did it with 1300 fps loads.

20. us820

us820 Active Member

I break good scores in the 410.Chokes from .003"-.006" are fine IMHO.Don't grade your 410 hits.Attack your targets just like the big guns.The 410 just shows flaws in your fundamentals more than the other gauges.

Search tags for this page
410 effect of velocity pattern skeet

410 for trap shooting

410 skeet loads

do high speed 410 loads pattern more looaely than 1200fps loads
do you use a rifle or shoot gun for skeet shooting
effects of cold on skeet or trap shooting
shooting trap with a 410
what is the best way to break a station eight skeet