1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do think of a Beretta 303 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 4andy10, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

What a deal I got in a 303 ducks unlimited gun today. Gun is chambered for 3" magnum and I shot 2 boxes of my lightest loaded shells thru it without a hiccup. the load was 16.5 of Hercules E3,claybuster 7/8 oz. wad,Fiochhi primer.
    Keith

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Best auto ever made, I have 10 303's. I shoot some really big shells and they just keep pounding them out.

3. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I agree, shot one for many years and never had one problem.

4. chuckles

chuckles Member

Beretta 303 semi auto is clearly a classic shotgun, one of the best made...but the best Semi Auto ever made honors goes to the Winchester Super X Model 1.

Most competition shotguns ever sold must go to Remington...

Most shotguns ever sold goes to Mossberg I believe....

Oldest shotgun maker still around is Beretta....

Gotta love them shotguns....

Best shotgun Bang for the Buck might be ....????

regards

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok I have had the Remington 1100's and they was to front end heavey but had a 302 and a couple of 303' Beretta's and even though the beretta's was lighter in weight I still felt less recoil to me with the beretta's.

Also they are more maintence free compared to the remington 1100's.

ok im a guy that never clean's a gun for at least 1 year and if it is a break open type of gun then it can go for at least 5 year's.

but the beretta is the way to go in my opinion but I see you bought a D.U. gun so just wondered what game you was going to shoot it at maybe Skeet or sporting Clays.

ok if you going to sho trap with it then im sure you would need to add some Mole Skin to the stock to make it shoot a bit higher for the trap game.

Please fill us in when you can on what you are going to do with this gun.

Fog

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

To me, the best Beretta is a 390 with a 303 barrel. The 390 action has proven more reliable for me than the 303 actions I have owned (5-6) and the 390 barrels are too light. I never give a second thought to the possibility of a malfunction with that combo. The 32" 303 barrel weighs approx 5-6 oz more than the 30" 390 barrel and gives it the same "303" feel.

In 3rd place is the 391 due to malfunctions (carrier problems) and more difficulty in cleaning.

7. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

My,(repeat, MY) 303 doesn't work with anything but 3 dram 1 1/8 loads. The pistol grip doesn't fit my hand(nor does the 390). My friends who shoot them all love them-to each his own. You apparently have one that works with light loads,all good.IMHO they handle(grip aside for me) very well, are easier to clean than a 391(zero malfunctions in my 2),just a great gun all around. Enjoy it!!

Larry

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If I didn't have a a bunch of sx-1's it would be my gun of choice. I still have a few that I use for certain things. Like a SX-1 they are simple. In fact a Beretta 303 is even more simple. Simple is good. Jeff

9. tim mitin

tim mitin TS Member

I am thinking that Beretta may have licenced out the manufactoring of the 303 design to other companies. There seem to be a few close look-a-likes out there. Tim M

10. claybrdr

I love my 303 20 ga Sporter and was really hopeful years ago that Beretta would make a 28 ga auto just like it. I was told that one was in the planning stages but was canceled when they bought Benelli.

11. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Tim- I believe the innards of a 303 and a Browning B80 are the same. I've been told that the trigger group and barrels are interchangeable.

Larry

12. primer

primer TS Member

I just bought a 303. Is there any thing I can buy to make closing the bolt easier. I am been having trouble with the small button. Thanks

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Carey Closer, Beretta makes one as does Briley. The Carey is my choice of closers. They have a kit you can get the closer as well as a knock down afair so your emties don't hit the next guy when shooting doubles or if you want to let your emptys fly. Jeff

14. claybrdr

I like Angleport's the best. Briley next. The Carey looks really ugly to me...Shame to put that on such a pretty gun.

15. cleboje

cleboje Member

What do I think of the 303?

I think I like them very much, so much so, that my 390's and 391 have become hangar queens so I can shoot the 303 every chance that I get.

Best damn auto beretta ever stopped making!!!

Joe

16. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

My plans for the 303 are simple I'm gonna shoot it anything and everything. I shoot skeet mostly,trap occassionaly,dove hunt,crow hunt,squirrel hunt some but my motto is if it flies it dies. The barrel has screw in choke tubes and is chambered for 3 inch. I had a 390 sporting for years I did everything with it,wished I hadn't traded it.
    Keith

17. Tony P

Tony P TS Member

I have just started using my father's A303 (1986) (28" barrel). Was BARELY used. Maybe 50 shots EVER. It has not been shot in about 18 years. Mint condition.

I went and put some turkey shots through it on the weekend. The 3" Winchester loads worked beautifully. Beautiful. But when my friend went to shoot a few of his 2 3/4" shells (two types) they all got jammed. The last load definitely had enough drams.

I called Beretta and he said it wasn't meant to shoot the smaller trap loads, only field loads. If I wanted I could open up the gas ports more, but then the 3" shells would probably break the gun. I don't know if he knows what he is talking about.

I have also read about "break-in". My gut says go fire another 100 3" shells and then see what happens.

Any advice? Anyone with similar experience and a resolution? I LOVE this gun.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

3" shells will not hurt the gun. The 303 is pretty tough

19. Tony P

Tony P TS Member

To clarify, I know the 3" wont hurt it. I meant I hope that firing the 100 or so 3" shells might "loosen up" the gun so that the 2-3/4" shells wont jam.

20. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Tony,
    I have a 303 in 12ga and a 20ga. I've had the 12ga since the 80's.(bought new) It has never jamed, not ejected, or not fired in all that time. I have shot light loads and heavy three inch mags without any problems .(never).I had some concern about my 20ga using light loads(because of hearsay) and again, it worked perfectly without a hitch. Both my 12 and 20 work flawlessly no matter what size load I use.Both are field guns.
    I think they are the best semi's out there. Hard for me to believe Beretta stopped making them. Shoot some 3in through it and see if it breaks it in for you. If not, and you wish to get rid of it I'm interested in buying it.
    Don't give up on it without trying to break it in. It is a fine shotgun.

Philly D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many shots does a beretta 303 have

what size shells does a beretta 303 use