1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do these initials mean ?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by amboy49, Jan 5, 2017.

1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

IMG_0053.JPG IMG_0052.JPG

Cleaning my Winchester Super X1 today and noticed the initials RJB stamped into the side of the trigger group. Was this a factory stamp ? I don't have another Super X to compare it to.

Another unique feature is the finish on the receiver. Not stainless - most likely (nitride) or. . . . . . . . ?

Wouls the trigger group initials and the receiver finish have been done together ? Its been so long ago that I bought the gun I don't remember the story that went with it. Have one or both of these two features increased or decreased the functiality and/or value of the gun ?

Any help greatly appreciated

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

The trigger group is most likely a custom trigger group with work done by the late Bob Baumgartner . Bob was a huge proponent of the Super X1 and did a lot of custom work on them. His work on a Super X1 would definitely be a plus in both functionality and value.

Ironically, I have a Super X that I bought on this site several years ago that also is supposed to have a Bob Baumgartner trigger group though I have never taken it out (I haven't ever shot this Super X1). It also has a finish just like your Super X1. From what I was told at the time I bought the Super X1 Bob did not do the finish. Mine has a trap stock with an adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate and briley choke tubes.

I will try to find the original information I received when I bought my shotgun.

DoubleAuto

JACK and flashmax thanked this.
  3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

When both of you say "custom" trigger work - what exactly would that mean or entail ! The trigger in my gun is a pull trigger and doesn't feel different much different than other triggers I have in auto loader shotguns ( Remington and Beretta). I note you indicate Mr. Baugartner "was" a proponent of the Super X1. This, I assume, means he has passed away ?

Thanks in advance

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Yes, Bob is no longer with us. You have a Type 1 trigger that he converted to a Type 3. Bob Baumgart was one of the primo smiths on the SX1.

Ken Rucker

stnlss99 and Shootin'coach thanked this.
  6. superxjeff

superxjeff Well-Known Member

Just like Ken said. I have one just like yours that was either the last or one of the last few that Bob did. I took a brand new in the box sx-1 and had Bob do his upgrade as well as his plating job. We knew that Bob was sick but didn't know that he was terminal yet. Bob was "the man" when it came to the SX-1. We were phone friends, internet friends, and did a great deal of trading together. He was like Ken Rucker who posted above, a man of his word that you could trust to do exactly what he said he would do and no surprises. Do enough business through the mail and you grow to appreciate no surprises!

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

superxjeff:

Just to understand, Bob also did the nitride finishes like the one on amboy49's and my superx1's? Or are you just talking about plating on the trigger group only?

Always trying to learn something .

Thanks,

8. h-n-d

h-n-d Member

I really like the Super X 1, great shooting shotgun that handled great, I have watched Pete Mcall shoot doubles with his several times and he done great with it