1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do the geese change in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Our 3rd segment of waterfowl season just came in yesterday and the weather is not cold here in WV and we have not had any real cold spells but something has changed, When the second season ended Oct.31st I had geese fly over me every morning going to feed. The last 2 days I haven't had any fly over so what do they change as you get deeper into winter?

2. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

It's not that easy. If you had clear weather there recently, it's the full moon. Most likely they went out at night, fed all night, and came back to roost before the sun came up. This is especially true in moderate weather after they have been shot up a little.

Changes occur from daylight duration period, climatic influence, hunting pressure, cover/freezing of food and roost, lunar cycle, etc.

With regards to the question of what do they change in the cold weather, two things primarily, food and feeding habit. When it gets cold enough, they will move off the greens and leafs and into the grains exclusively. Even within the grains, I see them move off things like soybeans and peas to feed on corn primarily in hard cold. They'll also stay on the roost later into the morning, flying to feed later, and come back to roost for a few hours and then come out earlier in the afternoon to allow more feeding time before coming back to the roost.

Regards,
    Chip

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Thanks, It has been a full moon and getting down in the low 20's at night but warming into the 40's during the day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.