1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do I have here (SxS muzzleloader)?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

A customer brought in an OLD SxS muzzleloader, 12 gauge. Of course, he wants to know what he has and what it's worth.

The barrels are 30 inches long. The only marking on the gun is "Wm Moore" on both sides of the received.

The stock appears to be oak. The iron has a brown rust patina and there seems to be a swirl pattern. Some might say it's Damascus, but I've seen other guns where it is just the way the bluing (browning?) is applied.

The gun is OLD, but there are a few newer parts. The percussion caps nipples look like new, shiny brass. The hammer screws also appear new.

I'v Googled "Wm Moore", but the information is sketchy, except that the gun is probably 19th century vintage. Any information is appreciated. If the gun has ANY value, it is for sale, but neither the owner nor I knows for how much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larry Frieders |

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Go over it with a magnifying glass. There should be British or Belgium proof marks on it somewhere. I believe the British guns are Damascus and older than the Belgium ones.

Wayne

3. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I've had pretty good luck using the Traditional ML forum for id of old guns. Give it a try. But please post what you find out (and if it's for sale)

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hereb sxs

muzzleloader sxs shotguns for sale

wm moore sxs muzzleloader value