1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What do bi- or tri-focal wearers do for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What do bifocal and trifocal wearers do for trap?

I am used to pistol shooting where I focus on the sights and I let the target blur.

Do bifocal wearers typically use monofocal long distance glasses and let the front of the barrel blur?

Thanks

Lou

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Mine are graduated... so the rib and the bird are in focus.

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Normally wear trifocals, but for shooting I am RH dominate and use only distance lens for RH and have distance and near in left eye. Wroks excellent. Do not have mid range at all in shooting glasses.

4. Bushmaster1313

I only need my near and mid distance for reading and the computer.

Looks like long distance shooting glasses are the way to go.

Thanks

Lou

5. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Bushmaster,
    I use distance only, I keep the blended trifocals in my shooting bag.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I normally wear trifocals, but when shooting trap, I only use the a mono lens. No need to read anything while I'm trapshooting. Well, maybe the score sheet, but I can usually make out the 0's there.......lol

Hauxfan!

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bushmaster1313

"Do bifocal wearers typically use monofocal long distance glasses and let the front of the barrel blur?"

Wouldn't that be what happens with your the naked eye if correction isn't needed? As it is not physically possible to focus on more than one thing at a time why would anyone need more than one lenses in their glasses?

Bob Lawless

8. Bushmaster1313

Bob

Real question is whether to concentrate on the bead or the bird

Bird it eems to be, unlike pistols.

Lou

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I wear unlined bi-focals and I just look through the top part og my glasses which are the far focusing part. Line the beads up, focus in the distance and call for the target. Lost or dead it's the person pulling the trigger!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Finally figured out if my gun would shoot where I was looking(at the bird) and my stock fit me,all I need do was see the bird.After all that was acomplished,I didn't need corrective lenses to bust targets.Just needed to see the bird which is about the only thing that I can see without my specs.Now I can Leave the bi-focals in the truck and enjoy the Decots.wurked fer mee!!

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

mono ... don't need no stinkin' beads... focus on the bird.... let the force be with you.... grasshopper..

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I only use the far vision to shoot with (Decot). I'll leave the reading vision to my regular glasses.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Like most of the others who have previously posted... single vision for distance, while not consciously looking at the bead.

Not knowing your specific situation... but with the cost to cut/dye prescription shooting lenses in multiple colors... can you wear single vision contact lenses to allow the use of plano lens shooting glasses?!

Jay

14. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Hy-Wyd does a very nice bifocal, with a small area very low so as not to interfere with distance vision looking down the barrel, head in normal position. However, bifocal vision is not needed for shooting. You should be focusing exclusively on the target rather than the barrel or beads in any case. The beads should only be used to set up gun alignment prior to calling for the target, then ignored. I do use the Hy-Wyd bifocal lenses, but the bifocal part is only so I can read something close up, or for inspecting something about the gun, etc. Never for actual shooting. Don't need to, and don't want to see anything but the target and focus there.

Jim R

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I had a old frames and had lenses with just the distance correction for shooting they work well. I have the graduated bifocals for close vision and I can shoot with them but prefer the singel vison lens with a rose color tint.

16. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I used to wear tri focals but this last pair of glasses I just got long distance correction as I only use the beads to make sure the gun is lined up correctly when I shoulder it. Other than that I concentrate on the bird. It is kind of a pain when these are the only glasses I have and have to take them off to see up close.

17. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i wear bifocals with the line in the glass. without this, i could never see my score on the sheet. when i shoot my eye is on the target and i never see the the lined bifocal.
    steve balistreri

18. GRR

GRR TS Member

I wear trifocals, but for shooting glasses I just get the distance lens. Then go to Wal-Mart and buy a bifocal stick on lens for about $9.00. It works perfect for reading score sheets and newspapers. You never see it when shooting.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bushmaster1313

Lou just a little advice you asked a question.

"What do bi- or tri-focal wearers do for trap?"

I gave some common sense information that might help you figure out the answer to that question. You then write.

"Real question is whether to concentrate on the bead or the bird"

So tell us if you want to know what to concentrate on why are you asking questions about which lenses to use in your classes. Asking the wrong questions will only get wrong answers!!!!!

Bob Lawless

20. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have bi-focals on all my shooting glasses. I request the near vision lens position to be as low as possible and with a flat top. The bi-focals do not interfere with shooting at all and I have the ability to see clearly in and around the gun and read scores without changing or removing glasses all day. I have the near vision lens made for one step further out than if I was reading books to be just right for checking the gun in my hands and seeing scores from perhaps 5 feet. I don't have any problem concentrating on the bird (more than usual I should say) when it's time to do so....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

r wearers grrr