1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Direction Do You Think This Country Is Headed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PhantomTrapp, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhantomTrapp

PhantomTrapp TS Member

Alright well I know this is obviously a hugely conservative base here, but I was wondering where do you guys feel the country is headed? Do you like it?
    I believe at last check it was 81% of the country is not happy with the country's current mindset and or direction, while 19% are in favor of the decisions made and the country's direction and etc.
    -Phantom

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Phantom,

First, it is hard to enter into a serious discussion (albiet off topic) with someone who does not have the conviction to sign his real name.

Next, we have had parts of this discussion previously. The topic is critical and if it is true, as you state, that this is a conservative base, we must all become active and motivate the "silent majority" or we are really in trouble.

To your point, the foundation of democracy as a political system of governance is compromise. Intelligent, open debate and compromise. This country has lost the ablility to do that. This country was founded on a premise of "puritan ethic"...in other words compromise brings about the best for all, if honesty and selflessness is behind the decision making. Again, it seems the politicians and money grubing business magnets of this country have lost the ability to do that...we are in trouble.

Finally, I hope those here who enter into this discourse will involve others, in their private worlds, to consider the options and vote. A big conservative turnout is the only way the big city machines...read liberals, and Hollywood...read really liberals can be stopped. If they win they will take us to a place we, you and me "pal" don't want to be.

Jon Schorle...Sacramento, CA

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Hopefully, right up your keister.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The same direction as Greece, Rome, the Franks, Brittania, Byzantium and a few other stellar societies.....Bob Dodd

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Is it a foregone conclusion that our republic will ultimately self-destruct due to the disparity of wealth and our fool-hearty attempt to superimpose our type of civilization upon the rest of the world?!

Jay

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Cause???? mans GREED, pure and simple. Billy Graham said it years ago.

Who was it Franklin or Jefferson?? that said "I give you a republic if you can keep it"

Family life is declining. Three babies born to people I work with, unmarried of course.

Bob Dodds comment was worth 100 straight from the 27.

Regards...Gerald

7. chuckles

chuckles Member

Unfortunately the people that we freely elect to govern this great country of ours, the USA, are by and large incompetent, self serving and far too liberal in their thinking....

IMO the only thing that will turn the country around from its self destructing onto itself...is a huge cataclysmic event of Biblical proportion.

regards

8. PhantomTrapp

PhantomTrapp TS Member

spitter, just like all the great nations before us, I agree that's for sure. I hate to compare anything to the Soviets, but they did impose their way of life around surrounding nations and they crashed and burned. Granted they crashed and burned a lot faster than the other nations because they were under communism rule. Just using them as the most recent example. But that seems to be the issue with the conservative mentality at the moment. Imposing our values on other weaker nations. Such as Iraq, and even Afghanistan. Now we are looking towards Iran, and I'm sure Venezula (sp) has crossed people's minds as well.
    -Phantom

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

OK, you asked. Personally, I see a bright future for the U.S of A and these current high fuel costs are a blessing in disguise. One thing that we have in this country above all others are innovators....it's just in us. There are an awful lot of very smart people in this country and together, we can create an industry which utilizes alternative energy.....an industry like no other that we have ever imagined. IT CAN BE DONE!

We are surrounded by energy!!! It's just not oil, that's all. We are constantly rained on by solar energy (which can easily be harnessed) the sun drives the wind (also easily harnessed), the moon drive the tidal forces (can be harnessed). We can grow plants that can harness the Sun's energy and turn it into ethanol.

We have a VERY bright future, if we want it.

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

If Osama Obama wins the Presidency I see this country circling the bowl and down the hole...Bill

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

No, we'll survive whichever candidate is elected this time just as we did with Jimmy Peanut and Billy Boy but where are we headed? Do we have the folks of whom Tron mentions? I haven't changed my mind yet. ....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I agree with Tron, the USA has a bright future. However, that does not mean that we won't have some lumps in our oatmeal.

The USA still has the best technology and military in the world and the best health care system. We have millions of bright entrepreneurs. They need to be rewarded for making a profit, not taxed out of business. A nation made up of poor people won’t work. If you don’t believe me, check out the old Soviet Union.

The sub-prime mess, IMO, is as bad as the current oil crisis but we will work our way out of both of them. The simple fact is that we have an enormous amount of untapped energy potential in the oil shale deposits, off our coastlines and in the ANWR. At some point, this energy will find its way to market. If the population is hot at $4 per gallon, wait until the price hits $10 per gallon.

If Obama wins in November, and I hope that he does not, he will have a lot of promises to keep. National health care alone will be a huge task. If he fails, this may open the door for the Republicans to take back congress and the presidency.

Al Gore and the people who support wind and solar as being capable of replacing our electrical energy sources scare me. Nuclear has the potential to provide vast amounts of energy in the next 10-25 years. What do you do when the wind does not blow or on cloudy days. It seems to me that you have to have a back-up using conventional fuels so where are the cost savings?

The wind and solar proponents need to review the success of the corn to alcohol business. Old Ben Franklin once remarked something like "Nothing is more tragic than a beautiful idea murdered by a gang of brutal facts."

Ed Ward

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Want to know where we'll be in 10 years? Simple...look where Europe is now.

14. skeet100

skeet100 Member

Well we still have a LOT to be thankful for and we are so much better off than many others but there in lies the problem, we have become fat and lazy.

I remember all the tales of my father's generation canning food and always making things so aid in their survival. We don't have that "We can take care of ourselves" attitude any more. The government is made up of greedy politicians, that get richer with every vote, and the population is now made up of voters who vote for who will give them the most and it will be bought with borrowed money and HUGE intrest payments.

In a nutshell........we have started down.............I just hope it takes a long time till we bottom out.

15. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Bob Dodd, nailed it. We have been torpedoded (spelling?), and the ship of state has a 30 deg. list.

Tom Rumley

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A tremendous problem: The bus is driven by a driver who doesn't give a damn about the passengers who pay the ticket.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices - 545 human beings out of the 300 million - are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country. (credit: Charley Reese)

Their desires are for power and money, and to be dukes, earls, and barons in what is rapidly becoming a tiered fuedal society.

The dopes that vote are cowed into the 2 party system by believing a third party "can't win".

REAL MEANINGFUL CHANGE (sorry, barack hussein) will only be possible if somehow people who care about America enough to put it ahead of their own desires are put in office. This means the entrenched bloodsucking parasites have to be wrenched from their position.

Teddy Kennedy is a perfect example of what needs to be put out with the trash.

The last good one I remember was Bill Proxmire Remember the "Golden Fleece" award?

To answer the question: there is a 95% chance things will get worse, regardless of who grabs the wheel this time. Just my opinion.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.