1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What difference does barrel length make?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hawk57, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I've been told barrel length has no effect on shot pattern or the performance of the shotgun itself. A 30" inch barrel will break birds exactly the same as a 34" will. What do you guys think?

Hawk,

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Neil

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Same as Neil stated!

ec90t

4. southpark

southpark TS Member

Yes, I agree with Neil.

It MAY have an effect on one's performance because of different sighting picture and swing characteristics.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Muzzle of a 34" barrel is four inches closer to the target than that of a 30" bbl.

John C. Saubak

6. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Anything past 18" will make no difference on the pattern. Only difference is they will swing different etc. I used to shoot a KX5 with a 34" now shooting a K80 with a 32", cant really see any difference. The gun always does its part, wish I could say the same for myself.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Old Cowboy,

Does that mean that my Marlin 55 goose gun w/ a 36" barrel is even better yet? Ha ha ha.

ec90t

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

From Remington site:

Question
    Will a longer shotgun barrel shoot farther?

Answer
    Modern smokeless powders burn in the first 13 to 16 inches of the barrel and maximum velocities are obtained in the first 20 inches. Shot will carry the same distance regardless of the barrel length. Shot pattern will be the same whether the barrel is 21 inches in length or 30 inches in length, if the barrel has the same choke constriction.

Our experts state there would be a small variation in velocity when using a 21-inch barrel as compared with a 30-inch barrel; however, the variation would be immeasurable.

The basic advantage of a shorter barrel is that it will swing faster. The longer barrel gives the hunter a longer sight radius to be more precise, particularly when pass shooting waterfowl. Also, the longer barrel can often help balance certain shotguns better.

Extra barrels are listed in the Products - Shotguns section of our site.

Neil

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

ec90t,

Yes, that'd give you an unfair advantage over the other shooters. I think the ATA should address this obvious oversight in the rules.

I propose adding a rule;

Section XIII, F (guns and ammunition), 1 (to include the following) "shotguns with longer than 34 inch barrels shall not be allowed except in the case of extended choketubes that protrude no more than 1 inch beyond the muzzle shall be allowed on 34" barrels."

John C. Saubak

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

That's good John! I guess all of those guys shooting a Ray Stafford Perazzi are SOL!

ec90t

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know I think that when you get to a major shoot they should require it to be a 100% level and even shooting field and hand every shooter a NEF 12ga single shot shotgun and tell them "good luck".

Yep ... it would all be the shooter and only the shooter from that point on.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I don't think that you could load a lite enough shell to keep from flinching. I would pay to a squad of people shooting unaltered NEF's from the 27!

ec90t

13. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

1. Do you want a slow swing or a fast swing?
    2. I don't see how 2 inches can make a whole lot of difference in swing speed?
    3. Longer barrel gives longer sight radius? I thought it was taboo to aim?

Hawk,

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh well ... everyone would know that if they lost they would be losing to a better shooter ... not a better gun.

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Those that insist on longer barrels do it out of penis envy!

16. Tracy Boy

Tracy Boy TS Member

So what you all are saying...size doesn't matter. Answer to the age old question!

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

hawk57- Two inches will add weight to the end of the gun and this weight will slow down the swing speed and make it more difficult to stop the swing. For most, it will also make the swing a little smoother. Remember three ounces added at the end of the barrel will feel much heaver than three ounces added at the trigger.

Also, aiming a shotgun is a bad habit, but recognition of the bird bead relationship is important.

Pat Ireland

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Heavy gun & long barrel = smoother swing. Plus, it provides a longer sighting plane as noted above. Generally these are thought as being good things for target shooting games.

Light gun & short(er) barrel is a benefit for hunting when one has to carry a gun afield, such as upland game hunting.

My trap O/U has 32" barrels, and my skeet/sporting clays gun has 30" barrels. Both are fairly heavy guns.

Opinions may vary.

19. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

My 34 inch BT99 is 8lbs 5oz and 51 inches over all. My 30 inch XT is 8lbs 11oz and 47 inches over all. So, according to your statements my swing should be slower and smoother with the 30in XT over the 34in BT99 because it wheighs 6oz more? Even though the XT barrel is 2 inches shorter and (over all) 4 inches shorter than the BT99?

Hawk,

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

According to Dick Bennetts book, "Trapshooting is a game of opposites", for each 1" of barrel length over 30", the payload will increase by 10fps or so. A 1200 fps load out of a 30" barrel would be about 1240fps out of a 34" barrel. I proved this theory for myself, after reading Dicks book, by chronographing a 30" Perazzi O/U barrel with a .725 bore and a .693 choke (.032") and a Perazzi 34" single with the identical bore and choke. I used the same 3dr. Federal 71/2 handicap load. I test fired each gun 10 times over the chronograph and in each instance, the 34" barrel was 32-46fps. +/- over the 30" barrel. While I realize this test is far from scientific, the facts are there.......Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the difference in o-give and over all length