1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Did You Learn to Drive in/ Got Licensed in???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Speaking of Joe K's teaching his daughter to drive ....just thought it would be fun to know about YOUR learning to drive experiences...what kind of car/ how long ago/ who taught you? ..who took you for your test..anything you have interesting or humorous about the whole experience...Be Honest!!..Did you crunch anything? How long before your first ticket or accident? This should be good!!!

2. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

1956 Buick. yep push the accelerator to start. First ticket in a 1963 Inpala SS. First time in the back seat!!!!
    Allen

3. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

I got licensed in my mother's 1966 Chrysler Newport and leanred a manual transmission in my dad's Plymouth about 3 months later. I never received a speeding ticket. My only tiocket was in 1992 for having an out-of-state drivers license more than 6 months after moving to PA. So far, in a million miles, I have had only one accident. A semi rear ended me while I was stopped.

4. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

1962 Chevy with "Three on the tree". First car I owned (bought used)was a 1966 Mustang with "Three on the floor". My claim to fame in that car is that I got two speeding tickets in the same day...by the same cop!! (Driving an automatic transmisson seemed weird)

5. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

1964- Learned on a 63 Buick Drivers Ed car, D.L in Mom's 64Dodge Polara, stick on dad's 61 6 banger-3 on the tree Chevy pickup. 1st ticket-"excessive acceleration"(tire smoke thru 3 gears) in my 63 "vette in 67.

Larry

6. Richshoots

Richshoots TS Member

"39 Ford in "58. Dual Stromberg 97 carbs,Fenton headers, Dual exhaust with Smitty steel packed mufflers, 3/4 race cam and Offenhauser heads. The motor vehicle examiner fell in love with it and I got my license.I don't recall when I got the first speeding tiket. Tickets were mostly for loud exhaust,I loved the sound of those Smitty's.
    It had a back seat that was one heck of a playground. Those were the days.
    Rich

7. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I learned to drive in my dad's 39 Buick. Got my liscene in a 41 Ford 2 door.and got my 1st ticket 11 years later. My dad later had some kind of Chevy with 4 on the floor and a 5th under the seat.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Learned to drive at 12. As soon as I got home from scchool I would go to my dads filling station auto repair shop in his 38 chev PU. When I got there I would pump gas, check oil, tires, w/s fluid,wipe headlamps and all the windows. Gas was 12.0 cents a gal. Can you imagine getting a full service for 12.9 cents per g al?? In the summer I worked at grandpas farm and drove a 37 dodge pu. Cops did nothing about young drivers who worked then. When I turned 16 I got a 41 chev coupe from dad and painted it myself. That started a 30+ year career painting autombiles & doing body work. Traded the 41 chev on a 53 buick super two dr ht. best car I ever owned. First ticket was for loud pipes on my 56 chev. I got a bunch of them for that but no speeding tickets

9. old folks

old folks TS Member

Learned to drive in a 1930 Whippet.

10. JRW

JRW Member

Learned to drive moms 64 belair chevy, took DL test with dads 57 chevy, and it became my first car. Jerry in MI.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

Learned to drive on Mom and Dads 1958 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. At 11 Mom was letting me drive back from the store on a 1 1/2 lane farm road when we met another car coming the other way. Mom said "ease over to the right a little" so I eased over and took out 3 rows of corn. Fortunately the farmer had a sense of humor and no fence

--- Chip King ---

12. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

64 beetle....it wouldn't go fast enough to get a speeding ticket...altho I did get plenty in other cars before learning. The bug made into a great "bed". Take the front seat out and put the back seat the length of the car. Don't ask how I know.
    :)

Rick in Mt.

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

'48 Packard, straight 8 with the torque of a giant. First ticket was speed in a VW Bug with a blower for extra horses - both were my dad's rides. The patrolman was mystified how I got that Bug up to speed but he still got my autograph......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

14. neofight

neofight TS Member

It was 1957 on my uncle's ranch where i eye-balled his jeep and asked if he would show me how to drive. "Sure", he said, "here's the key". I asked about all the stuff in the back of the jeep, a shovel, post-hole digger, wire, gloves, etc. he told me it ill come in handy when i take out a fence or two. He was right.

I got licensed about the time i got my first car running, a '41 Plymouth coupe. After lowering it against my dad's orders against doing so, rebuilding my first engine(it actually ran), paint, a flame job(my first also)nerf bars and racing discs( i needed them with that stock flathead 6), i had my first very own car.

I never wrecked the car, but had a couple close calls during the learning experience.Here's the only surviving pic..........

[​IMG]

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I learned to drive on an old Allis Chalmer standard clutch farm tractor. It had the narrow based front wheels, so I think it was a 50s model, but I'm not sure. You had to be really careful to ease off the clutch, because the front end would pop up.

My high school fiance taught me how to drive a car. He had a 60's Chevy convertible, don't know the model. It had a huge engine in it, though...it was F*A*S*T!!! He took me in the high school parking lot after school in the winter time in my Freshman year and had me start by doing donuts and stuff in the snow. He said it would teach me a lot, and it did. If it wasn't for learning how to handle the car like that on slippery surfaces, I would have been dead by now.

I don't remember what my first ticket was for, but it was definitely for speeding. I still have a problem with that sometimes.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A 1960 ford with Armstrong steering and brakes. Oh and it had the famous 2x60 ac too.

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

My father had a gas station/garage and I learned to drive other peoples cars. I used to pull them in and out for service at age 10, was doing service calls at 14. The local police didn't bother us as dad took care of their dead batteries, stuck cars, etc. I actually got my DL in a 53 Chev automatic, my first car was a 57 Chev. First ticket was for speeding in moms 65 Chev Caprice with a 396 automatic. My mom loved fast cars. Until I got MY car, I used to drive whatever was at the garage. Many times I would come out of school and the car I drove to school wasn't there. Dad often sold cars during the day and I would have to go to the garage and sometimes fix something to drive to school the next day. One of my favorite cars was a 1949 $50 dollar Chrysler four door. We had to replace the dyna-flo tranny to use it. We used to go camping in it, slept three. One in the front, one in the rear, and one in the trunk...and all three had lots of room.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My dad's '38 Chev. Featured a banjo steering wheel and knee action suspension.

I slid into a tree with the car when I was 14 and got my license at 16.

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Neoflyte, great picture. I like the '57 Pontiac wagon also. Do you still paint flames. I just bought my first new truck in 18 years and I am looking for a painter. I am in MD. I took my test on my drivers ed car, a '62 Bel Air four door 235 six with Powerglide. My youngest daughter had it harder. She had to take her test in my six inch lift '75 Blazer with wide ratio truck four speed. It was the vehicle she learned on so she wanted to take it for her test. The guy wouldn't dare fail her since she showed so much gumption. She really knew how to drive that monster.

20. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

1953 Ford Country Squire station wagon. Real babe magnet in 1962-3!! Mother taught me, then gave me the car knowing that no self-respecting (life-respecting) girl would ever get in it. My buddies thought it was cool and as long as it got us to Rehoboth Beach and back it was "bitchin". Flathead 8 with original sparkplugs wouldn't go fast enough to get a ticket. The day after I shipped off to Great Lakes Naval Training Center, my stepfather drove it to the junkyard and got $10.00 for it.

Back from the Navy in 1968 went to the Pontiac dealer in Lancaster, Pa. looking for a Grand Prix or used GTO. Seventy year old salesman talked me into a new 1968 400 cube, 350 horse, 4-speed Hurst GTO. $98.00 a month for 36 months. Pulled it out of the showroom at 8:30 at night, turned right on King Street and stopped at the first light. 6 miles on the odometer, engine not yet warm and a '68 Chevelle SuperSport 396 pulls up on my right and a '68 Nova SS 396 pulls up behind me. Didn't even know where the gears were yet, so postponed the inevitable trouncing of the Chevys until several weeks later. Drove that beauty for 254,000 miles and NEVER got a ticket with it.

First ticket in 1972 in a new Toyota Celica 4-speed about two days off the lot.

Driven 1 and 1/4 million documented miles and have not had an accident. Hope I get to the "finish line" without one.

Mike Mann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.