1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What did the two yards off do for you?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Some background, been shooting 26/27 yards for the past 36 years and have registered well over 100,000 27 yard targets. I now find myself on the 24.5 yard line, after my 2 yard reduction. I've been reading that the 2 yards off is good and that it is bad. Here's what it has done to me. In the past I always shot every target when I went to a shoot and I shot local small shoots several times a month. Now after my 2 yards off I'm not planning to shoot any local small shoots this year. My plan is to only shoot the bigger shoots, state shoots, satellite grands and the grand this year. My only shoot this year has been the Southern Grand and I did not even shoot all of the handicaps. For the first time in my 40 years shooting career I'm afraid to earn yardage. It's weird to go to the line thinking what am I going to do if I go into the last trap only down two or three. The two yards off has screwed up my shooting. No small shoots, afraid to shoot well, skipping some handicap events because I don't want to earn yardage, etc. I wonder why, as I don't even pay the money anymore. I'm going to the SW Grand next week, maybe I'll earn a few yards and get over my new problem. After all I probably can't win the $100,000 at the grand from the 23 anyway. What has the reduction done for/to you?

2. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

It showed me I should be on the 27, took my 2 yd reduction went to the Spring Grand first shoot 96 next shoot 98 back to the 27, felt good hope I get another reduction at the end of the year. Forget about not shooting unil the big ones go shoot have fun. Thanks Stan

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Attended my first registered shoot this year and I shot the same exact score at my new 3 yard reduction that I shot at the end of the last season before the reduction.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Only thing it did for me is put me 2 yards closer to the target. Still can't hit the damn things.

GneJ

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I believe it allowed known ability shooters the opportunity to sandbag with the ATA's blessing because nobody bothered to review them?

I turned mine down because I was so close to the traphouse to begin with I could trim the grass behind the 18 yard line..

FRedmon

6. pjbosh

pjbosh Member

I wasn't lucky enough to get one. I guess a 92+ avg in caps is good enough?

7. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

It got me closer to the women and children, God bless. LMAO.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No shootin around me as yet. But I am going to the first local shoot on the 21st of April and see what slots are open. And if there are more early slots open for mid yardage shooters, I will go back and request a one yard reduction. For me it is all about not spending all day at a trapshoot. Will they re-offer the two yards to me after refusing it? I do not know. I will probably stay at the 26.

9. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I've been working my way back away from the "distracting" shooters and would prefer to shoot with longer yardage shooters because as a general rule they seem to be more professional. I am already coded with the ATA to not allow reductions at my request since I don't want any but they gave me two yards anyway. I refused the reduction and responded by going to the first shoot this spring and breaking a 99 and getting another yard. There were no trophies, no money, just targets. This idea of people "avoiding" punches when they're shooting at a small shoot is crap! You pay for every target and you should always shoot to the best of your ability regardless of what's on the line or take up golf. I realize the ATA offered the reduction and you aren't cheating by accepting it but I feel it's bad for this sport when people shoot poorly on purpose and the reduction is enabling some baggers to do it. If you needed the reduction then I've got no problem with you, if you are a bagger then I pity you for your lack of self respect and integrity.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Go shoot and do your best. Let the chips (punches) fall where they may. Personally my reduction lasted until the first caps event, got a yd, back to the 26.

Don

11. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

They gave me 2 yards off to the 25, I have not shot this target year or even been classified for a shoot. Then they took it away now I am back at the 27 and have not fired a shot! Go figure. I would have refused it anyway.
    Rooferbob

12. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Jason,

Because I havent made it back to the 27 I am "distracting" and not "professional". It's comments like that, that are bad for our sport. When you were working your way up the ladder and someone said "I don't want to shoot with Jason he's to "distracting" and not "professional" he's only on the 20 yard line". How would you feel? We all have to start from the front you did...

Dave

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The reduction has been fantastic: it probably saved my marriage; my cardiologist says my EKG looked great; and my blood sugar numbers have come down dramatically. I just wish it had happened sooner and look forward to this precedent being implemented again next year! Regards, Ed

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The 24 yd. line looked like long Singles to me. Not having shot there since around 1979 losing 3 yards made Handicap much too easy. 200 targets at the Southern Grand and I'm back to the 25. Just making sure my average is below 90 for next years special 2 yard reduction could be a challenge!!

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

For those who miss a target or two to not gain any yardage until they get to a big shoot I hope the missing becomes ingrained in your shooting and you blow it at a big shoot. I'm sure there are plenty of excuses to cover your actions.

As far as "distracting shooters" I have found them on all yardage lines. I think its more of a personality thing, not what yardage your on.

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I earned 2 1/2 yards at the Cardinal Classic two years ago, along with a 2 year hold ("H" code) and never shot over an 86 at the new yardage. The reduction puts me back in the game and adds confidence that I can compete. I've gotten yardage with a 91 at small shoots, and shot 95's at big shoots with no yardage, which is problematic and needed to be addressed. As usual, a single solution to any issue seldom addresses all situations properly; but I believe the EC's action regarding the 2yd reduction will be beneficial to most.

We'll all have to agree, though, the shoot-off's are gonna be a hoot, but
    I worry how Chuck is gonna pay for all those extra targets at Elysburg...grin

best...mike

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"distracting shooters"; In my experience FWIW, by far the great percentage of all shooters on all yardages are good folks to squad with and I certainly don't mean this as a blanket critisism of short yardage shooters but.......there ARE a small percentage of people who are just plain a distraction to shoot with and MOST of them live on the 20 yard line.

John C. Saubak

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Mike.... I read in the latest issue of Trap & Field that the EC is going to address the auto punch for a 96 and some other issues.

I too have received one yard punches for a 89 on a windy day. A while back some one mentioned something like several good scores and then a punch which doesn't sound like a bad idea.

19. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It did nothing for me since I didn't get a 2yd reduction. Now I have to listen to all the sandbaggers at the local club brag about how they aren't going to gain any yardage until the big shoots so they can try to win the money.

20. shotgunjerry

shotgunjerry Active Member

It deprived me the 1/2 yd I needed to move to the 27yd line. A fellow 27 yarder and a good shooter at that yardage took his 2 yard reduction and beat me for the high score and punch, oh well he would have probably beat me if he was standing on the 27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.