1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What did I change

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Same 2 or 3 guns I've shot for the last 25 years, approx. 60-40, now the last couple months been having problems, so one day last week had a friend (GOOD shooter) stand behind me & watch he said you're shooting WAY over the top, so I start shooting a little lower, still over the top, so now I'm down 10" to a foot under & getting good breaks again (when I remember to stay a foot low). Haven't lost or gained any weight--changed loads--etc.?????? He says don't worry about it just shoot a foot low & watch-em break??? Ross Puls

Edit: Non adj.comb---friend didn't mention anything about riding it out too far, I'm baffled. Also targets were just set with T-bar & radar gun.

2. butcher

butcher Member

If you have an ajustable comb lower it so that you can shoot right at the target rather than guessing a foot under.

3. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

If you are truly shooting 60/40 you should be able to touch the bird and see it break..should not have to hold 1 ft under..Only exception would be if you are riding the bird and it is not rising much when you fire..SMOKIT

4. m12superx1

m12superx1 Member

Ihave the same problem with a model 12 I've been shooting for 27 years. My Dad brought up the point that maybe my body has changed enough to alter the fit of the gun. I guess it's a possibility.

5. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If you're aging, your body is changing........ You might find you're leaner in the cheek, cheekbone area and you're holding your head more upright than in the past, causing your eye to be higher above the barrel which in turn makes you shoot higher. Sometimes when you lose meat in your cheeks, it's not as comfortable have your cheek rotated forward as you may have in the past.

You may also be approaching the target differently than in the past causing you push over te target?

Because our body's are always changing are one of the reasons adjustable combs have become so popular.

Surfer

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If the guns haven't changed, it's the shooter. Raising your head? Same sight picture with midbead location? Have someone else shoot the gun and see what they think. Mark

7. Beni

Beni Member

Go back to the board and start from there. Check your poi at 13 yds( i shoot around 3-4 shots from the bench) If the gun and choke are still shooting straight check your patternat 35 yds from the bench,after you eliminate everything mechanical check your loads and components. After that start back to your basics of shooting stance footwork call. Have someone competent watch you maybe two people good luck beni

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So 5000 targets from now you will have your average back! Agter you learn to shoot a foot under them. Adjustable comb in order! :) Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.