1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What did happen, what should of happened?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 13, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    If you have been in the shooting sports for any length of time, I am sure you have seen someone shooting that has got upset with his score and lost their temper. Some I have seen got so upset that their temper affected not only their own score, but their squads score, as well as others. In the past 43 years, I have seen two such instances.

The first instance occurred around 30 years ago during the state shoot at the Waukesha gun club. It was a hot day, and this particular shooter was shooting his 2nd hundred on Saturday during the singles championship.

He had a good score in the morning and I am certain he could picture himself in the winners circle. On the third trap he did not do so well and as he walked to his fourth and final trap he threw his model 12 so hard into the gun rack in front of the trap house that it knocked over numerous guns.

There were Perazzi's in that rack along with Kreighoffs, and other brand guns and some were now dinged up. He had to be protected from a few very irate individuals to say the least.

He assured them that he would pay for any damages including refinishing of the stocks if needed. This episode cost this shooter a pretty penny, which I found out he did pay up.

The second time I saw a shooter damaging guns was also at the Waukesha gun club on a winter Sunday shoot. This time the culprit was a senior veteran as he shoot poorly, walked into the club house and actually through his gun in the rack and around 4 or 5 guns including his BT 99 fell onto the hard floor damaging some guns.

He quickly picked up his gun and went home not paying a dime or telling the shooters what happened to their guns. I have no idea what happened after this incident as he passed away around a month latter.

In these two cases, should a formal complaint been filed with the ATA informing them of what happened, or should it been taken care of among the shooters involved themselves? If an incident occurs like the above and it did not happen during an ATA tournament should the ATA still be informed regardless?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Or maybe just a good old fashioned beatin' for being a jerk. Bill

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The incident should be taken care of right then and there and keep the ATA out of it as their past decisions indicate that they will not do the right thing!!

Curt

4. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Slayer,

+1

Pat

5. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

A number of years ago the journal/sentinel newspaper was sponsoring some youth trap/skeet/safety shooting sessions at the Waukesha gun club....they had one of the local big shot Trap shooters there to give a demonstration for the kids....with a large group of young children watching him he missed his first three shots, you could see him turn red, started swearing, stormed off and did not continue with the demonstration......gave those kids a real good example of how to make a complete ass of ones self....

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe there is a rule about disrupting the harmony of the event. At least there used to be one, and it allows ejection of the offender.

Yes, ATA should know about it since it was at an ATA shoot.

HM

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Wow, Curt. You really hate the ATA don't you.

8. senior smoke

Here is my opinion, if this would have been my gun that was damaged, I would have asked to speak to an official. Lodged a complaint, so there would be some kind of record in case the shooter did want to pay up.

I would then send a letter to the ATA explaining what happened, and then it is up to them to decide if this matter should be taken further with the possibility of a suspension.

In the other case, a non registered shoot, I would have filed a complaint with the person in charge and would send a letter to the board.

Let's face it, most of us take this sport very serious, and sometimes when you shoot a poor score it may show.

Here is the problem, in today's market, shooters have thousands of dollars invested in their guns. To have a stock refinished or a gun reblued to me it devalues the gun, plus you don't have your regular gun to shoot.

I do believe that a suspension was warranted, and the shooter told if conduct like this happens again, the suspension is permanent.
    Steve

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Rick, why should law enforcement get involved? And what do ya think they would be able to do, except tell em that it is a civil matter? Just wondering.

GneJ

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This once again proves that people from Wisconsin have bad tempers and get violent for no reason at all ... It appears that it is more or less located in the general area of the Waukesha Gun Club so its probably the water, hops, barley, or the cheese ... I have shot there in the past (many years ago) and got the feeling back then but wasn't sure if what I was feeling was accurate or just gas pains ... I am pretty intuitive about people so I would suspect it wasn't Gas Pains from the water, hops, barley, beer or cheese ... I guess all that waving as they are going in the opposite direction on the road is probably someone just flipping the other drivers off in a secret way that isn't detectable so they don't get into any road rage incidents, then again it could be the water or gas pains and they are signaling you to pull their finger like some adults used to do to us when we were kids, then when we did they would pass gas (fart) and laugh ... I guess if you could be more specific we could probably figure (finger) it out and nail it down for sure ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. senior smoke

WPT:
    LOL. Come to Wisconsin and dare criticize our cheese, brats, beer, or the Packers, and you will have a war on your hands. BTW, we also have some of the most beautiful women in the world living here.
    Steve

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

A person getting mad at the gun for their poor shooting is rather childish, I think the need to stand in the corner for a time out, as long as it wasn't my gun that got tore up LOL

My BIL knew a guy that would get violent if he was golfing bad, and one time he it the ball in to the rough and was having a hard time getting it out, he got mad and hit a tree with his club, the handle broke and came back and stabbed him in the neck and killed him

He really taught that club a less

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Steve,

I didn't say anything bad about Wisconsin was just trying to narrow down the violence to a few things that might or could be the problem ... I still buy Wisconsin cheese out here when I can find it, usually at Wally World ... Wisconsin Brats only and all the time ... I lived in Wisconsin for a time, went to school there and lived on the family farm, had 300 head of beef on 460 acres north of Black River Falls, between Blair and La Crosse ... I didn't marry a girl from Wisconsin but tried a few out to see if they was marrying material ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Were those Wiconsin girls grazing off the highway?

15. Donm

Donm Active Member

The first event yes the ATA and WTA should have been informed. The second was not a registered event so the ATA and WTA have nothing to do with the situation.

16. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

At an ATA shoot several years ago, (about 2003 I think) a fellow was having a bad day shooting handicap. On the third trap he got so angry that he through his gun towards the trap house. He was immediately removed from the squad, ordered off the club property and banned from ever shooting there again. I don't know if any follow up action was taken with the ATA. This person was not a regular attendee of shoots at this club. Craig

17. senior smoke

Years ago, the Wisconsin state 5 man team shoot drew around 1,000 shooters at that time.

I had a team that I started and a guy that I knew asked if he could be on my team? I agreed, and that was a big mistake.

On the very first trap he missed his first two targets out. I could see his face getting red and the veins in his neck started to bulge.

On the next station he missed his first target out and the very next thing I saw was his TMX flying over the trap house busting the stock and forend and damaging the barrel.

I stop the squad and said what the he-- is wrong with you? He apologized to the squad and asked his wife to go to the car and get his back up TM 1. He ran the remainder of targets on that round.

We get to the 2nd trap and he missed his first target out and once again his face got red and the veins in his neck were once again popping out.

As we were walking to the next station I said don't even think of throwing another gun over the trap house. He missed another target and he picked up his TM1 and jammed the barrel a good 6 inches into the ground.

He did not say a word as he walked off the trap line and through is $300.00 leather bag with the bone closure in the trash bin. I picked up his bag and eventually took it home with me.

My squad's score was so low because he quit on us that we could not possibly qualify for even the bottom Lewis class.

The very next day I get a call at work and he said I was told you have my bag. I said you threw it out, it's my bag now. Long story short, his wife called me and asked if she could have his bag back, which I gave it to her.

The very next year he had the audacity to ask me if he could shoot on my 5 man team. I told him you have a lot of nerve even asking me after what you did the previous year. The answer is no.

I saw him 20 years later and he told me he had a nervous breakdown a couple years after that 5 man shoot. I never heard if the WTA filed a complaint with the ATA as most knew what happened that day.
    Steve

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

ANYBODY who flies off the handle and throws guns is viloating gun safety and putting people in danger. They should be immediately be removed from the club and if it is an ATA shoot, they should have a complaint filed against them with the ATA. One for disrupting the shoot and one for the "handling a gun in an unsafe manner" !

19. Donm

Donm Active Member

Steve I don't know if the ATA has a rule that says you can't throw out your shooting bag. And if they had one for being a d___k they would have lost most of the membership. I remember more than once when Vic got really upset over the years too. I know a guy with a shooting bag with a bone. Are his intials L.R.?

20. senior smoke

Don:
    Sent you a PM.
    Steve