1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What could have caused this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Luckyman, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I wanted to see if this has happened to anyone Else's dog. I have a 12 year old Weimaraner " Lucky " that was recently bitten or stung by something that caused her to have an allergic reaction like I have never seen before. I was out at my in-laws place last weekend when I was watching my dog take her normal stroll around the yard when all of a sudden I saw her leap straight up in the air and buck almost like a horse! She then started to stagger as I ran out to see what was wrong. At that point she vomited and couldn't stand anymore so helped to lay her down on her side. Her eyes were dilated and looked like they were moving erratically and her breathing became very rapid. I thought she was having a stoke being a 12 year old dog I was thinking the worst even though she has been the healthiest dog ever to that point...I placed her in my truck and rushed her to the vet only 10 minutes away. At this point I thought she was not going to make it. After $1,400 dollars worth of tests and a night at the vets office it was determined she had an allergic reaction to something. I have my suspicions that one of these monstrous horse flies that are prevalent around that property got her or something?

The good news out of it all after her batter of x-rays and blood-work is that she is cancer free there was no permanent damage from her reaction and the vet said she is one of the healthiest dogs he has seen for her age...Thank god! What he hell could have caused this? She has never been allergic to anything!

2. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Hmmm very interesting. I would guess to say that maybe it was possibly a nasty bee or wasp or hornet, fire ant, army ant, scorpion, or possibly a venomous snake bite? Either way I am pleased to hear that your dog is healthy and came through fine. I have a soft spot for Weimers and Visla.

J.F.

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Thanks Jack! I thought my best friend and hunting partner was a goner!She is my huting machine that's for sure and the thought of her not being with me for another season tore me up...I can't imagine what I will be like when it is really her time to go!

Benadryl was what the vet said to give her the next time anything like that happens again God forbid! He also said that we probably saved her life by getting her to the emegency clinic so quickly because she was in a bad state!

She is a Luckydog!

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Here is a picture of my dog and I from last hunting season. This was at Silver Springs State Park in Yorkville IL...We got our limit of 4 birds as you can see from the picture. Another great day!
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.