1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What color lenses???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beretta Young Gun, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Awhile back I stumbled on a shooter getting out of the sport and was selling a bunch of his supplies and gear. Amoungst his things were a never-been-used pair of randolph ranger glasses. I decided to take them. How ever they only came with 1 pair of lenses, Orange. These work great in bright or low light conditions on orange targets...my problem is....the clubs I visit only throw WHITE targets and the orange lenses are useless.

My question is which color lenses should I purchase from randolph?

The back ground of 1 club is set over a spoil bank. There is no up close back ground. Its wide open field for probably 500 yards and then a tree covered hill. While the target stays in the green tree back ground for the first half of its upward travel, I can see it great. But when it gets into the white/very light blue fading light sky...I cant see it. Which lense would you recommend?

At the other club the targets land right at the feet of a very dense wooded area. Very easy to see in good light but when the sun sets behind the trees behing the club house it throws an aweful shadow over the area in front of the trap. The targets have the illusion that they are flashing because they are passing in and out of the shadows. Which lense color would you recommend for this situation?

Thanks in advanced for your help. BYG. AJ Ansley

2. John 53

John 53 Member

Get the Randolph's with 3 sets of lens. I use a rose in one lens and a purple in the other for a green background. Gives a good 3d effect. Other backgrounds, you can use trial and error to find what works best for you. My 3rd set of lens are yellow for evening and night shoots.

John

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have about 8 styles of colors all prescription Randolph lenses, I use the clear the most, on bright sunny days I like the CMTs, then in between I like the Brown lenses, I have a pair of Dark Purple/Plum lenses for Orange targets. I also have a pair of Missouri lenses by Sportsmans Optical.

I have no recommendation on lenses as some people are unknowing color blind.

GB
    DLS

6. jc128763

jc128763 TS Member

I think what has been said is good information - however I would suggest starting a lens collection. I have a pair of Ranger Edge shooting glasses and what I have found is that having options is the best bet. I love my CMTs and they are my go to lens. However I was recently having an off day I happened to pull out my vermillion lenses and they were so much better for the conditions. Since then I tend to check and change my lenses based on what makes the birds look the most vibrant for the given conditions.

For whites on a green background I tend to like the vermillions but if it's sunny and the birds are orange, I am switching back to my CMTs or dark purple (as I am a bit photosensitive.) I like light purples for darker conditions but I also have a pair of light vermillions for white birds in the dark. Personally I don't like the light yellows that tons of people love but to each their own. Restating the point, work up a collection based on what you shoot the most and then expand as your experiences dictate. I just wish I could find a case which will hold my lens collection...

Josh

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Go with the lightest shade without squinting..something like Decot gold 15...

8. maka

maka Member

Call Mike at Post 4 Optics. He is a trap shooter. Explain to him your backgound types and ask his color reccomendation. Goole thier addrest. Good Luck.

9. Avatar

You generally want to preserve depth of field, which means using the lightest lens that works well so that the iris is as closed as possible. It's a balancing act.

Search tags for this page

best color lenses for shooting white targets at night

what color lenses for night trap shooting green birds

what colored lens should i used for trap shooting