1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What color lenses under the lights?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LUGNUTZ426, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I need to get a single prescription set of glasses made for under the lights night shooting. What color works best?

2. J. Ashley

J. Ashley TS Member

Most people use clear or light yellow with anti-reflective coating.

Jim

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use a medium yellow under lights and we throw only orange targets. While not scientific - wear your Rx glasses and borrow a pair of plano lenses in light/pale yellow as well as a medium yellow - hold them over your glasses and watch the targets as they're thrown. See what works best for you.

Jay

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I prefer vermillion.<br>
    <br>
    First, all my guns have flourescent red Uni-Dot sights on them, and these work best with vermillion glasses.<br>
    <br>
    Second, vermillion glasses reduce the streaking of white clays. It changes them to normal red clays.<br>
    <br>
    Third, vemillion glasses significantly reduce the brightness of green grass under the lights.<br>
    <br>
    Fifth, I can't wear yellow glasses. They fatigue my eyes and give me a headache.<br>
    <br>
    To be fair, vemillion glasses do have a major drawback. If you are shooting around sunset against a reddish sky, you will have no definition of your sight, the clay or the sky. Vemillion glasses work best during broad daylight and dark blue or black skies after sundown. I simply wait a bit to shoot, but if you are in a game where you cannot pick your time, this may be an issue.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Clear at night.

6. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

This is a little off topic but if you shoot mostly in daylight and only occasionaly under light and only wanted to invest in one pair, what color would you get?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Edgar

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Vermillion or Rose & Clear. From Decot.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Vermillion.<br>
    <br>
    Also, I use vermillion for upland hunting, especially with the kids. It makes flourescent vests and hats stand out like a neon sign, and increases contrast. Because flourescent vests and hats are required in the game preserves we hunt in, I can quickly scan for other hunters when a bird takes wing, and if necessary overide the kids if they fail to notice another hunter. Fortunately they're trained well enough I've never had to do that.

9. monroesc

monroesc Member

I just bought a pair of lenses from Frank Rively called "optimizer." It was designed by Frank and Harlan Campbell to optimize any condition--particually shooting under the lights. It's the lightest target orange with gold.

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I had a pair of golds one time.........I can not say for sure, but WHATEVER you use at night I would get a non-reflective coating put on the lens. I did not and the reflection from the light is VERY bad. Maybe someone can add to this thought as I have not shot a lens with this coating.

GS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.