1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT COLOR LENS TO PICK???????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    what color lens should i pick? with so many to choose from, what is the best method to pick a shade of lens? should i just pick 1 lens and just stick with that shade? is there a shade of lens that i could use for day time and night time shooting? what if the target is all orange, or what if the target has a black rim? will i miss targets with the wrong shade? does the shade of lens really matter that much? what is your opinion in this matter?
    steve balistreri

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Medium Violet [purple]......that's where it's at!....Yeah......!

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Steve if I had to pick one lens. Medium to light yellow, works best for me. currently shooting brownings 4 lense set. light blue, pale yellow, dark amber , grey, clear. Lenses held up just about a year now seem to be scratching more and more. center frame where lense locks in broke a few weeks ago. The nose piece is junk. So I think its time for a Real set and a few lenses.

4. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

On bright days I like light purple. When its not so bright I like vermillion.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Light Purple, Persimmon, Vermillion, Gold, Light Yellow, or clear, depending on the light and the bird color. Some colors work for some and not for others. You should usually select a color that lets in a good amount of light, since that will help your depth perception.

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Send me your eyes via FedEx and I'll make a lens choice for you because your eyes and my eyes will probably not benefit the same way from a given color. I use a light violet against a green or brown background and a dark target orange against the sky, whether blue or gray. Any shade of red tires my eyes and gives me a headache. Now, if my color choices work you, great. If they don't and you can't send me your eyes, you'll just have to pick your colors like I did...experiment. (I was lucky in that I wear glasses. I found a cheap pair of clip-on sunglasses with screwed-in lenses and had an optician make me pairs of tinted lenses out of GOOD C-39 optical plastic until I found colors I liked.)

Morgan

7. starship

starship TS Member

I agree with Hubcap.

Light purple and vermillion does most anything. On really bright days (we don't get that many here in Oregon) I go with a dark purple.

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Any type of sun available????? RANGER CMT's are the best available.
    Light overcast Orange.
    Dark overcast Yellow.

9. HarryK

HarryK TS Member

From the responses above Vermillon and Purple appear to have the most votes. Do these two colors work equally well on both orange and green targets? If not is there any recommendations for green targets? Harry

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

For me, yellow works best for chartreuse green targets either in daylight or under HD lights at night.

Morgan

11. alf174

alf174 Member

grape for sunny, strawberry for overcast, and clear for nite works best for me on orange targets.

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

The lens color in my opinion is a personal choice. Only you can decide which color seems best. Try fellow shooters glasses in different light conditions and compare. If you need prescription lenses, then it becomes rather pricey to have a number of various colors in your inventory. I have prescription lenses and have a pair of Post 4 glasses with yellow lenses, (for cloudy conditions) and a pair of Decot glasses with clear lenses for sunny or partly cloudy conditions. If you are lucky enough to use non-prescription lenses, you then can have a variety of colors to use and/or experiment with and not have a "ton" of money tied up in lenses. But again, only "your eyes" can decide what color or colors are best. Ed

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I use Decot's V-lite in the daytime and lite yellow when heavy overcast and in the dark.

It's best to use the lightest shade you are comfortable with. The reason for that is to keep your pupils open to gather more light.

The above website has a feature that allows you to compare different lens colors to various conditions.

Bill

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

from likestoshoot:

<I>"It's best to use the lightest shade you are comfortable with. The reason for that is to keep your pupils open to gather more light."</I>

It IS best to use the lightest shade of tint that will provide the contrast you want but NOT to keep the pupils open. Light tint will let more light reach the eye and cause the pupils to close down. This will cause your focus to be sharper; THAT'S what you want. A dark tint would reduce the amount of light reaching the eye, cause the pupils to dilate and make the focus less shape and that's not good for a shooter.

Morgan

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Now.....If you're Gay, chartruse or lavender is the way to go! Oh, you old silly thing....try it, you'll like it!.....Yeah!

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Capt. my bad, your right thats what I wanted to say LOL

17. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Smoke:

A number of good points above... specifically try a variety of lenses, but be prepared that different light/background conditions required different colors/shades. My recommendation would be to invest into a glasses "system" that is well supported like Ranger, Decot, Post-4 etc... from a dependable vendor like Morgan or one of the others who regularly post here or advertise in the trade mags.

If you wear contacts, extra plano lenses are very reasonable to acquire - Rx obviously will run substantially more per pair. Ranger offers a system which incorporates a fixed Rx lens with a clip-on in their spectrum of colors.

From a safety perspective, opt for polycarb lenses if possible as their impact resistance is far superior to CR39 plastic and the trade off in optical clarity is negligible.

Jay Spitz

18. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the top shooting glass maker told me that he used only clear lens and that your eyes need to adapt to the light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.