1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What clubs might do do help with cost of shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Clubs could buy certain components (non-perishable, non-flammable - wads, shot) in bulk, but the Clubs need to be assured (by member committments) that the holding time will be reasonable - to turn over the inventory and recover the cash outlay. In addition, club's could systematically take bulk orders from members (primers, powders) using member money to prepay bulk orders.

If a club buys shells in bulk, where will they be housed securely, who will keep the inventory? Even if purchased in bulk, pricing should be such to cover shrinkage and provide a nominal return back for the use of money...

check issues relating to taxes, etc...

Jay

2. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

My club purchases shells in bulk and sells them to any shooters, not just members at $0.25 over cost/ box. They buy them by the pallet from a local dealer that sells them to us at just above cost. It works out well. They have 20 and 12 Estate brand generics.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We do that but the only way it works is to have the interested members sign up for and pay for the ammo they want before the order is placed. This way the club is just in a position covering several checks with one from its account.

The savings are significant and they come from greatly reduced freight rates and certain tax advantages (which you have to be very careful with).

The club shouldn't get into the position of warehousing and reselling the ammo (tax reasons). Just have the people that bought the ammo come get it when it arrives.

Putting together a 100 flat order isn't really difficult, our little group does that about every three months.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We recently bought a ton of shot and sold it to members at cost. We also do this with reloading supplies. We have 1/2 price shoots for members occasionally. I think our members are very important and as President of the club have no problem sharing the profits with them, especially in these hard times. If I knew of a member who was unable to shoot due to lack of funds, I would personally see to it that they got some free shooting. We are not a real prosperous club but have always got plenty of money and we try to share it with the members as best we can and still keep a bank balance and do some improvements. Our membership has trippled and in these hard times, thats a good thing. We also do some youth shoots at no cost

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I belong to several clubs that routinely purchase in bulk and re-sell to members at little markup. A couple of the clubs have no mark up as long as you place an order when they are placing the club order.

A few years back a club I was involved in used to get a nice price break on lead as long as it was buying more than one pallet.

By the way, I know of one club that purchased lead at $40 or higher in bulk and had a hell of time getting rid of it when lead dropped below $30 a bag. I think they ended up taking a loss just to get rid of it.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

We have bulk buys for components and ammunition. I have done the last few and the club is used only for a delivery point, storage and to use the lift for unloading.

It is a nice service to help shooters that do not go to major shoots and buy smaller quantities. It allows those who buy in bulk (a ton of shot or cases of wads) a more convenient way than trying to carry all the stuff back from a shoot.

My favorite vendors are AJ Brenner and Dawson Enterprises. We support them both and they have never let us down.

Don Verna

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

How about just limiting the payload to 3/4 ounce? Ridiculous? Not really. Think about these benefits:

= We'd all save a ton on shot.

= It would take away a little steam from the EPA's efforts to hassle trap clubs.

= It would better reveal the superior shooters.

= It would be fun pitting 12ga against smaller gages.

= It would open a new market segment and sell more new shotguns.

If you open your mind for a moment and think about it, don't you have to admit that this might be a good idea? If not, why not?

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.