1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What club you no longer shoot at and why?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalamitySJ, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

A club that throws bad targets because of faulty equipment would be hard to patronize, especially if they refuse to do anything to fix the problem.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Lethbridge Trap Club (Alberta).....one jerk took over and ran the place into the ground, pi$$ed off the landlord and got the place closed and the subject of a lawsuit for lead cleanup (as of yet unresolved).

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I would hope nobody would answer this question if their answer concerns a working viable club,...there are many reasons both personal and general that even if true drive certain people away from patronizing a club...but if the average everyday Mr Thursday night play shooter has fun ..why mess up his good thing...bottom line we need all the clubs to stay open that we have the means to control their fate...God knows we are already losing enough to things we cant control...if you have a riff...keep it to yourself and try to fix it!

4. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

We used to shoot at a little 2-trap club that throws good targets. The traps were just a bit too close together and that caused one very annoying problem... false pulls caused by the shots on one trap when the other was being used. The problem was serious enough that shooters on the effected trap actually had to time their gun mount-and-call to coincide with the short periods of silence on the other trap. The club has the money and talent to fix the problem but also has too many overly-frugal, overly-conservative senior vets with as many excuses for not doing so.

Carol Lister

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I will not name clubs, but I have seen several really go down the tubes due to lack of control over drinking. Drunks WILL RUIN your club if you let that situation get out of hand. Having a couple of beers after shooting is one thing, but allowing blithering idiots to run your club is another.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I, like Flalagarto do not shoot at the clubs in the area where I used to live due to the distance (1875 miles and 27 hours driving time) but I will say I miss them one and all ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

tron hit the proverbial nail on the head!!

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Hey Tron, we got a blithering idiot running our club and he hasn't had a drink in 25 years. God I wish he will get drunk so he could have a cogent thought this decade.

There is one beautiful local club that I don't frequent much any more. They will just not start their ATA shoots on time. What does 9:00am mean? To me it means shooters take the line at 9, this place first squad might get to line at 10:30am.

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I stopped going to Bristol about five years ago, not because of the 7.5 shot rule, but because of club politics. I was a range officer at the time and got disgusted with the way things were run. I haven't been back since, although I have been thinking about going back to shoot at the rifle range.

The 7.5 shot rule was necessary because there was a residence downrange, and the owner claimed shot was falling on his roof. 8 shot doesn't carry as far, and that resolved the problem. I understand the new traps are further away from the house.

There are one or two other clubs in the area I don't visit any more that insist on squadding for one round of trap at a time, because of the waste of time that results. I visit clubs that allow four or more rounds of trap at a time. If I'm going to practice, I don't want to waste the entire day waiting in line and then waiting to shoot 25 shells at a time. Bristol is one of these clubs, or at least they were last time I shot there.

I don't understand why one-round-at-a-time clubs don't figure this out.

10. white rattler

white rattler Member

Ljutic 73, I think I know who you are talking about. I think it is to bad that your club had to shut the doors. When the Woo's ran it we use to have a good time. I still think back of the BBQ steak supper that you put on. Trevor. PS are we going to see you this weekend at the zone shoot?

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Let''s reverse this to Why do I shoot at clubs. #1 is a club that is owner or leasee managed, they are counting on income from the operation. Target quality and setting is key. The owner attitude of wanting to please customers and bring them back is usually present. Kingen in Indpls. just celebrated 50 years. This is a prime example of a family business, the founders daughter manages the club today. I try to drive the 200 + miles at least once a year.

Clubs which have too much politics, too many personal agendas, officials with poor people skills and are trying to cut costs at any means are killing themselves.

12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

John, I think you said the one word that makes the difference....CUSTOMERS, and they vote with their feet.

When you encounter smiling, friendly, helpful, folks at a visited club, you want to return. We shot at Bedford, PA last weekend and had a great time, ...smiling faces, good targets and good food, surely a winning combination.

13. warren

warren Member

I think we should be talking about the clubs we like to shoot at instead of being negative. The best club I ever shot at is the Barstow Club excelent management, friendly members and very active that is my only regret in leaving that area.

warren

14. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have shot at many clubs and they all have their good points and bad points. I used to shoot league at one club but quit for several reasons, none necessarily negative. A year later I returned for an informal Sunday at the range. I arrived at 11:00 and shot at 1:20. It wasn't busy, it was just run poorly. The people running it for the day were more interested in visiting (and drinking) than shooting. I went back a year after that and it was much better, being run by some one else that day. I joined a club that had a small rifle and pistol range and paid extra to get a key so I could use the range at my convenience. Two weeks later I drove to it only to find two locks on the gate. The club officers changed the policy and would only allow shooting when there was a range officer present. The club officers sighted a recent safety issue as the reason. I understand the decision but they didn't offer any refund for the people who paided extra for the keys, which were now useless. I agree that it's the people that make or brake a club. I found that ranges operated as a business are in general better to shoot at.

Joe

15. jackaroo

jackaroo TS Member

Blackwing shooting center in Deleware Ohio $9.00 for a 25 bird practice round. Cardinl Center is not far up the road and it is $4.00 a round there.

16. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Jackaroo.....was that practice round fee for real ?? 9 bucks for a round of trap??? That might be the highest I have ever heard of !! Does anyone shoot practice there ??..............Uncle Sam, Pa.

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Uncle Sam, I may be wrong about this but I think that I used to pay $12.00 a round at Bear Creek in Panama City, Fl. I believe they closed the doors there last year. It was a real nice facility but not for the prices you paid. They had a sporting clay course, five stand and I believe all the trap ranges were also overlaid with skeet. I haven't heard if they have opened back up. Jackie B.

18. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

Clubs around Wichita Falls, Texas that I do not shoot at anymore are SHERMAN GUN CLUB, WICHITA FALLS GUN CLUB, VERNON GUN CLUB, HASKELL GUN CLUB and SINGLE TREE GUN, because they are all closed.......shame.....

19. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Me and a few shooters at the club down the road started going to a one trap club on sundays to shoot 10-bird shoots. The owner would play cards and didnt shoot, and his son ran the shoot and shot with us too once his dad found out we kept winning all his quarters at cards they made a rule that you cannot do both some quit because of the wait to shoot and no way to keep busy.

Next the son chased us off for numerous reasons some were signing up on too many shoots other reasons were not agreeing with him when he said something dumb or was beating him to often this was when gas was 4 bucks a gallon and 50 dollar bags of shot so they were losing shooters without his help. Now they barely shoot anymore. In the end he got what he wanted a club he could win at.

20. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

LET'S SEE I CAN NAME A FEW, DUH, OH NEVER MIND

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.