1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What class do i start in?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mahrbeezer, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I took a break from shooting for 17 years and started back a few months ago. Im thinking of going to a registered shoot this month but im not sure if i want to be put in a class that i have no chance until i get 1000 registered targets. I have been told that i would be put in A class until i get my thousand bird average. Anyone know what class i would be put in? What do they do for new shooters?

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Here is deal. At a big shoot, like state shoot or above, you will shoot penalty class because you do not have "enough" targets. At a normal Sunday club shoot, they are going to put you in class C. You will make your own breaks and 1,000 targets has nothing to do with it. If a classifier looks at your last 700 or so and feels it is trending upward, you might get into class B even though you do not carry a B average. If that happens, be happy, it means you are improving as a shooter. If you are an accomplished league or practice shooter and are just now going to register targets, they might start you at a class higher than C based on Known Ability.

3. chessney

chessney TS Member

That's the main reason why I no longer shoot registered targets. If you can't shoot the required amount of targets per year,you shoot penalty A. If your a C or D shooter, and your trying to win something, you just waste your money ....Ziggy

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It would depend on the club your going to and what they deem necessary. Most smaller clubs without a required minimum will probably put you in class B. This is the established recommended class for new shooters. You will however shoot your former yardage and if you don't remember it and intend to shoot the handicap, then you need to contact the ATA office to find out. While so doing get your old ATA number also if time has forgotten it as well.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

chessney is this your decision? If so what is the point you are trying to make?

Bob Lawless

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

chessney

I have never shot a registered target in less than A or 25yd for money. Never had targets enough. But I belong in A almost in AA. At a small shoot I would not know where I will shoot from. They say and I go there and shoot. However 25yd is not a realistic handicap for me so normally I don't shoot handicap. I used to shoot handicap to make up a squad so the other shooters could get registered targets recorded. But believe me it was for fun. And I did get a punch on one shoot.

Rock

Jim

7. chessney

chessney TS Member

Ivan: The point I'm trying to make is,for three years I only got to make two or three registered shoots each year.I was never moved out of penalty A. My ATA card showed that in singles my avg. was 87 This made no differnce.I was still put in penalty A because of lack of targets! I know alot of people cry about sandbaggers. Well...That's not my thing..Ziggy

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

After about 3 months of league shooting I started in B two years ago. I was a legit C shooter and had not even run a 25 straight. Went to the line standing next to an AA shooter and I was nervous as I could be. Managed a 24 on the first trap and ended with an 89. I remember driving home thinking "How the heck am I ever going to get good enough to compete with these guys?"

Saturday, I was standing next to that same AA shooter. However, this time it was for a Singles Champion shootoff. We had both just posted our first ever 200 straights, his in AA and mine in A. He won 274 to 273.

Moral of the story: Don't worry where you start. Put your targets in and you can get better.

9. ivanhoe

chessney I understand why you might not want to shoot ATA targets on that basis. You said and I quote "My ATA card showed that in singles my avg. was 87 This made no differnce.I was still put in penalty A because of lack of targets! I know alot of people cry about sandbaggers. Well...That's not my thing" well in all fairness to the other shooters and the people that have to put you in a class. If the shoot program says they have a penalty class(State, Zone, and most larger shoots)it is only to make it fair for all.

After all if they put you in a lesser class because Aw Ziggy is a nice guy. You shoot in the lower class and win. Why would old Boliver kagass who has shot over the targets required not have a right to complain to the ATA. It is done in the name of fairness no other reason.

Bob Lawless

10. ivanhoe

24str8 are you suggesting that known ability should not follow you to the next shoot? Or maybe you think that everyone that shoots in that class or does the classifying at the "next shoot" should suddenly forget about your ability.

Seems like you love to play but you hate to pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

11. ivanhoe

24str8 talk about quick on the zipper. You said "Nothing I wrote suggested anything deserving of your LAWLESS accusations." I made no accusations I asked a question!

If you felt you had to explain your statements "My point was that mahrbeezer was worrying needlessly; that there is a system in place that would naturally put him where his ability deserved." what would not make you think that people
    might misunderstand them.

I used the term "your ability" as a general term if it was not clear I apologize.

The only bone that mahrbeezer has to pick is with his own lack of patience. If he had not been in a such a big hurry to be a big gun he might have realized that it doesn't happen over night except to a very few of the most talented. The rest of the Big Guns worked very hard for a very long time to get where they are.

Bob Lawless

12. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I have a question for all of the folks that worry so much about singles classification... Does your approach to shooting the event change based on how you are classified? Don't you shoot the targets the same way no matter what? Do you really go out there expecting to miss a few more targets because you're in D class that day? If so, it's not the classifier's fault if you don't win.

I guess I've never found it easy to win in any class that I've shot in. When I carried an 87 average, I couldn't have won D class unless I was the only one classified there -- my confidence was shot. The times I've won C class trophies, it's typically taken a 98/99 to do so. I think B class is about the hardest place to win -- people in that class are etiher on their way up or on their way down and are probably all capable of pulling out 100 straight at any given time. I think it takes a certain level of striving for perfection no matter what class you're in.

--Dan

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In answer to Mark's question, I would start you as B-20-B at my club. From this point it is fairly easy to move up or down to the appropriate class after you have a few registered shoots under your belt. My bet is that you would move up and be happy doing so.

As far as winning a class goes, you usually need to shoot in the high 90s to win singles regardless of class. Generally someone has an exceptional day and shoots well above their average, this is the kind of thing that makes the game interesting for the individual.

I rarely see sand bagging but commonly see the opposite where people want to jump to the next higher class even though their average hasn't quite caught up to their recent scores.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.