1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT CHOKES SPORTING CLAYS ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murphy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I am new to shooting registered sorting clays events, and am wondering how many shooters use fixed chokes. I have recently seen a Merkel model 200 SC with fixed chokes, (seem to be IC & Mod). The gun feels great upon shouldering the gun. It has 30 in barrels and really feels great but i am wondering if I will regret not having choke tubes to offer me more options on shooting. Should IC and Mod do the job or should I try to use a gun with more optons, (chokes)?

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I have CT's and I rarely use anything other than IC & Mod. Gun fit and how it feels to you is more important than CT's IMO. If you are worried about the IC on long shots, use a 1 1/8 oz load.

3. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

^

Dead on with above..

Don't worry about the fixed chokes, they're perfect..

I use a mod over mod fixed..

4. dshot

dshot Member

Most sporting clay course can be shot with IC and shoot a very good score,Like Hitapair, gun fit is the most impotant thing, using 7&1/2 will tighten up your pattien and a slow burning powder like PB or green dot will help also.

5. Slugo

Slugo Member

currently I use IC/LM in my B725 12 gauge, and IC/IC in my Caesar Guerini 20 gauge. When I first started over 20 years ago, I went with SK/IC, which still works well. I just like a little tighter choke.

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Depends on the course.

7. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

In my opinion the IC and Mod is an excellent combination for sporting. I do better spending my time looking at targets than changing choke tubes.

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

IC/Mod. is good. If a long shot, use 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2's and if in your face, 1 1/8 oz. 8 1/2 spreaders. You should be covered. So, no choke changing, concentrate on the target presentation.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

.015 and .023 would be all you ever need. Choke is not what breaks the target. A great move with a poor choke is way better than a poor move with a great choke. Use one load and fixed chokes and you will have two distractions out of your way that are completely unnecessary.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

In my 20b I shoot 7/8oz #8 @ 1135fps. On one course I use LS and IS, because there are no shots longer than 45 yards. On another I use IS and LM. I have never need more choke than Mod, but none of the courses near me have 60-70 yard crossers. If that gun patterns well, I'd have no problem with fixed IC and Mod. It is a constant source of amazement how far away open chokes will break a target.

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Like the Setterman says, depends on the course.

12. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

Pretty much what everybody else said. Ideal fixed chokes might be LM/M, but IC/M or M/M or IM/IM all will work fine. At the end of the day the stroke matters more than the choke in sporting clays. Also, you can always send the gun to Briley for a thinwall CT conversion -- they make excellent chokes and do a nice conversion.